Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, dec10snow said:

Anyone seen the March CET figure...? ?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Wow lol 

37F0CA1E-5E06-4EC0-97BD-3568CEDB9A85.thumb.png.bfdb34ab8f7f36f9407900bfb03a25f4.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Early January would be the ultimate SSW, have we ever had one since it’s significance became apparent? I fear we will have a horrid spring because of this SSW, but it was worth it and I’m really pleased for Chio and Lorenzo and all the Strat gods. You can’t argue it now imo. Anyone who poo poo’s it now is on acid!

Agreed. Think I will be in the strat thread alot more next season. It is the only way I reckon to get a blanket snow event. We have lived through an extraordinary week. Record low dew points, 850s , and thickness for March. Even lands end and the scillys got snow. Yes we need the beast to roar for us to get in on the action. A norwester is really a waste of time for all bar Princetown ?

As an aside the Mrs just messaged to say "baby asleep safe to come up stairs and big rain but bye snow feel sad" I think I'm getting her to understand!!!!

Posted
1 hour ago, festivalking said:

Still here. Left for the Pub down a huge hill just above freezing literally skated down on the ice and slush. My drinking buddy remarked we might not get back up, not to worry I thought the Pub will keep us warm. Anyway we clamboured back up 20 minutes ago to find not much ice and the temperature had ballooned up to 3c. Anyway boring story but hey I'm still here fighting the good fight....talking of which Darlington who'd want to live there..

Was that the Walkhampton or The Royal Oak FK? We live on the Yelverton Meavy boundary, so thought we'd pop down the oak for a quick one, it's not too far from our house and seeing as the Princetown road was clear today and it had rained most of the day, I thought we'd be fine. How wrong was I? With brother-in-law driving in the dark we ended up in a field, took forever to get ourselves out and facing the right direction . The road to Meavy was completely blocked, I think a large drift had collapsed, but it was the same height as the hedge, so in the dark it looked like the road bent around, turned out it was the entrance to the field. Luckily hubby knows the road well and realised before we dug ourselves too deep. Ended up at the Rock instead. Not quite the same. So sad to see our lovely snow melting. ??

Posted

South West Winter 17/18:

I try to look past most recent memory. I think it is human nature to look back for a very short period of time, like a week.

Overall the SW Winter has been pretty much 'average' in my book. Yes, there have been a couple of snow/cold events but other than the last week nowt out of ordinary for Winter.

Snow in mid December (one day), snow in latter hours of Boxing Day.

And then, the last 7 days. Defo the highlight of our Winter (early Spring!).

So i'll focus on the last week.

End Feb/v early March - quite remarkable depth of cold. Quickly delivering a Classic SW Approaches LP that smashed into our region. A classic blizzard? Not quite for my locality but not far off.

Highlights for me of last week:

Waking up Thurs morning and it was already snowing. Thurs afternoon/evening - continuous snow.

Temps of -2/3c during day on Wednesday/Thurs/Fri.

6/7 inches level snow of powder variety; drifts in my garden of over a foot in places.

Friday - snow falling from lunchtime until 5 early eve. Great top up!

Local pub packed to rafters mid afternoon Friday as locals decided "there is nowhere else to go so let's just go to pub!"

Epic? Approaching.

Winters or Winter events standings:

1st - the benchmark - Winter 78/79

2nd Winter 81/82

3rd Winter 09/10

4th Nov/Dec 10

5th Jan 1987

6th That week in Feb 09

7th 1991

8th 1st/2nd March 2018

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
7 hours ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

Was that the Walkhampton or The Royal Oak FK? We live on the Yelverton Meavy boundary, so thought we'd pop down the oak for a quick one, it's not too far from our house and seeing as the Princetown road was clear today and it had rained most of the day, I thought we'd be fine. How wrong was I? With brother-in-law driving in the dark we ended up in a field, took forever to get ourselves out and facing the right direction . The road to Meavy was completely blocked, I think a large drift had collapsed, but it was the same height as the hedge, so in the dark it looked like the road bent around, turned out it was the entrance to the field. Luckily hubby knows the road well and realised before we dug ourselves too deep. Ended up at the Rock instead. Not quite the same. So sad to see our lovely snow melting. ??

Went down to the walkie as didn't fancy the steep icy climb up to dousland from the oak . Yes I heard about that drift. Landlord had put on FB that he was open but hadn't mentioned meavy lane! 

Woke up to heavy rain lashing the window so only the odd patch left now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Thaw now well underway at 4c. Still deep snow but be gone in couple of days except for drifts. 

Posted

Morning all, a bright sunny start with wall to wall blue, currently 8.2C, so we could well head towards double figures today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Awoke to that yellow spherical object giving out light and heat. Still loads of snow around even the temperature is still climbing . 

Birds are singing , and I have a lovely memory of a Robin taking a bath in the guttering where the snow had melted and there was sufficient water in the guttering . 

I'm pleased for the cold lovers  who loved the snow that you had some. Many years ago I broke or cracked a bone on the inside of my arm ( slipped on ice and snow fell backwards landed oddly on My back but my arm took the brunt of the fall) and so I'm very wary of snow and ice even now . But it's good to see others enjoying it and seeing families having fun together . So I'm not altogether miserable , I'm just v v wary. Thought I'd best explain as to why I'm cautious when it snows . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

6.4C, 98% humidity low overnight of 2.4C

Snow hanging round in patches only now.

My Jasmin bush is dead I think :cray:hope some warmth today can help revive it. Palms not looking great either. Will assess the full damage this morning.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

Awoke to that yellow spherical object giving out light and heat. Still loads of snow around even the temperature is still climbing . 

Birds are singing , and I have a lovely memory of a Robin taking a bath in the guttering where the snow had melted and there was sufficient water in the guttering . 

I'm pleased for the cold lovers  who loved the snow that you had some. Many years ago I broke or cracked a bone on the inside of my arm ( slipped on ice and snow fell backwards landed oddly on My back but my arm took the brunt of the fall) and so I'm very wary of snow and ice even now . But it's good to see others enjoying it and seeing families having fun together . So I'm not altogether miserable , I'm just v v wary. Thought I'd best explain as to why I'm cautious when it snows . 

my partner broke her arm just before crimbo, so we had the same problem v v very wary when there is snow and ice around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

6.4C, 98% humidity low overnight of 2.4C

Snow hanging round in patches only now.

My Jasmin bush is dead I think :cray:hope some warmth today can help revive it. Palms not looking great either. Will assess the full damage this morning.

Don't be too quick to dig them out, leave it until at least the end of April, especially the jasmine as the top may be gone but it could well shoot from the bottom.

Thaw continues here, everything still white and about 4inches deep in the garden but the roads are completely clear now. Not convinced we're going to have a smooth, clear transition into spring just yet around here.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Cloudy here. 5.8c Humidity 94% .pressure 970.2 hPa.  Need rain to wash away the remaining snow dunes.

Posted

Driveway cleared so we can go out in the car later, it was still 4 to 5 inches deep and drifts over 7 inches where it all funnelled down our drive from over the road!

It looks like we're going to have a lot of rain this week, I'd rather the sunny build up to the beast!

Posted

Lovely blue sky sunny weather here, very little cloud.
A little drizzle around 6am.
Was 6.3c at midnight, 5.4c at 3am, now 8.9c

Wind has moved to SSE 6-10mph, 989 hPa 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
52 minutes ago, jethro said:

Don't be too quick to dig them out, leave it until at least the end of April, especially the jasmine as the top may be gone but it could well shoot from the bottom.

Thaw continues here, everything still white and about 4inches deep in the garden but the roads are completely clear now. Not convinced we're going to have a smooth, clear transition into spring just yet around here.

Yes also you won't know extent of plant damage for couple weeks really. My legustrum hedge, honeysuckle and evergreen shrubs all look very dead but they will all come back in late spring. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Still some snow on pavements and roads and some on gardens/grass. Gone from cars, roofs, walls and fences.

Temp 5C  Humidity 95%  Dewpoint 4C   Rain last 24 hours 0.23 cm

Posted

Heaving it down now with rain. Snow rapidly disappearing from roof tops , but still plenty in the garden and to my surprise icy near the fence . 

I've  fed the birds,   , chicken broth slowly cooking and now settling down to knit . 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, BARRY said:

my partner broke her arm just before crimbo, so we had the same problem v v very wary when there is snow and ice around

Sorry to hear that , it's weird but I can still recall the pain and shock even now . I hope that things are on the mend now th ough 

Posted
Just now, dec10snow said:

7-8C and heavy rain, normality resumed then!!:nonono:

Yes it has ! Just so long as it doesn't freeze overnight . There will be some big puddles around that's for sure .