Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted

Light snow all morning but be glad too see the back of this easterly and have some spring warmth. Shame there is not much sign of a real significant warm up yet.

In all fairness though, as a country this Easterly delivered for sure and I'm surprised just how much snowfall has fallen as a whole.

Posted
1 hour ago, alr1970 said:

Not here! The best I have is a couple of inches on a table on the patio, which is very sheltered from the east. The road was covered at 8, but it's all melted off now, there's no depth of cold in the ground to sustain it. Still nice and white in the garden.

Yes the chorlton snow dome was breached but not completely. It was th best we have had this winter but id say it was 2cm max and its melting pretty quickly now. Still it was quite an enjoyable evnt whist it lasted

dusting2.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Best ever cover from an Easterly here about 3cm first thing thawing fast though apart from on the grass which seems to be maintaining a good cover.

So it bye to the Beast for now but you are welcome back next winter.

C.S

Posted

Been out in the car to see my Dad as his carers couldn't get there.  Main road gritted but side roads terrible unless you have a 4x4.  Still drifting and appears to still be snowing.  Incredible sitting in my kitchen (which is upstairs) watching the wind blow the upwards off the trees outside the window and then swirl it around.

Posted

Light Snow, here but it has pepped up abit after stopping for an hour or so

Stopped again

Edited by carl1980

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 hour ago, robbo88 said:

Just walked up the werneth low with my boys. Lots of drifting. At the very top there is hardly any snow, as it's all been blown away. 

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

Cockerpoo alert. Same colour as ours.

20180302_121508.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 hours ago, karyo said:

Yes, a beautiful result and much better than the last easterly! I have drifts of snow on my balcony :D

I wish I had stayed up last night when the heavier falls arrived but I was too tired.

Thankfully my balcony is east facing so it will still have snow tomorrow morning.

2 hours ago, karyo said:

Yes, a beautiful result and much better than the last easterly! I have drifts of snow on my balcony :D

I wish I had stayed up last night when the heavier falls arrived but I was too tired.

Thankfully my balcony is east facing so it will still have snow tomorrow morning.

The view from my car late last night, it was mental, total white out at the Cross in Hadfield

20180317_215126.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Snizzle here on the ELR at Bury. Timetable changes through frozen points and Watertowers. Radar looks clear so game over. Sun breaking through 

Nice day. 

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
Rude word !
  • Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Wardlegacy said:

Cheshire and Derbyshire Police have said there is no safe route between the counties. Cheshire say if you try it and get stuck you’re on your own because they cant get close to you to rescue you.

5 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

The view from my car late last night, it was mental, total white out at the Cross in Hadfield

20180317_215126.jpg

Morning all, was out all day yesterday so i had no choice but to enjoy the conditions without posting about it every 5 mins. :rofl:. It's a good job really as the weather was amazing, I saw true blizzard conditions, blowing snow in Stoke City Centre...

Anyways the reason i am quoting you both is a went to watch John Bishop in Derby last night and yes, I knew it was in the Amber warning but really still wanted to go there was snow there but nothing major but by the time the show started it was coming down thick and fast...roll on 2/3 hours later and the car park look like Russia... t

29340320_10156315849604283_8995529635324231680_n.thumb.jpg.c3eb81fafcad2af28c47ada18c9b6da4.jpg

The pic doesn't do it justice as there were big drifts too, it was -3c and pouring down, it was amazing...then came the realisation that I had to drive home to Stoke.  i hoped that when I left the car park the roads would be clear...it seems grit doesn't like -3c and heavy powder snow.   To cut a long story short the drive was exhilarating but fooking scary as the WHOLE way home (at 1am) the roads were covered. Luckily for me in 2-3 cm by then, that's why I tagged your post as it's no wonder the roads were soon blocked as it was borderline for me. I looked at the radar and expected less as i got to Stoke but the roads were just as bad in Stoke, all covered. If anyone knows Stoke City Centre it is all roundabouts and hills... I nearly crashed twice, even crawling.  I have a Dash Cam built in so going to download that and do a montage of my 'journey' to remember it by. Final part of the journey I had to get up and down Alsagers Bank (as live up there), I honestly felt like a rally driver and by the time I got home I was glad to leave it all behind. It was still pouring and blowing about and looked AMAZING but needed by bed as eyes were closing all the while.  Woke up very early this morning to go for a walk and take pictures as the snow shapes were amazing. This Mini Beast From The East brought more powder snow and blizzards than the last one by far, it's been amazing.  By the time I got in from my I-look-a-weirdo-walking-at-7am-walk it had started to melt in one or two places so was glad I got to see it all in it's frozen glory.

I got a coffee and caught up with all your reports just, it's really great we can share our some what geeky love of snow all together. :D  Here is a few from my walk, not as impressive snow as some but coming from slush fest Crewe these are sights that I have not seen since I was a child. Trying to find a level depth I'm guessing about 4-5cm as found a part of the forest that was sheltered and the snow was still on the trees etc, not bad.

Thank God for Beast from the East Pt 1 and 2. But the little brother takes it for me :p

5aae5fca0661c_WhatsAppImage2018-03-18at09_35.16(1).thumb.jpeg.83b8500c766424e40fe7b36fcc1d7eaf.jpeg5aae5fc8535e4_WhatsAppImage2018-03-18at09_36_06.thumb.jpeg.7f43ebac8fee919b5773397aa7801988.jpeg5aae5fc675b9c_WhatsAppImage2018-03-18at09_35_16.thumb.jpeg.8e87311b2ba036a36821a08ce7a7edce.jpeg5aae5fc46496b_WhatsAppImage2018-03-18at09_35.16(2).thumb.jpeg.66dd98e6980dadc2345ac350294cc86f.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Snizzle here on the ELR at Bury. Timetable changed because of frozen points and Watertowers. Radar looks clear so game over. Sun breaking through 

Nice day. 

Posted
39 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

20180317_215126.jpg

Awesome! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Unfortunately my fears of yesterday came true. Most of the showers died before reaching me. Still, I’ll take it over mild and drizzle any day. 

• Like 1

Posted

All stopped now thought it was snowing but it was just snow blowing off stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Unfortunately my fears of yesterday came true. Most of the showers died before reaching me. Still, I’ll take it over mild and drizzle any day. 

The showers did make it but just not enough of them to have an impact, plus the streamer expected went ever so slightly further south of us. The main band overnight which was expected here, again drifted agonisly further southwest than forecast. So the southward correction of a mile or 2 made all the difference to both expected setups, otherwise it would of been pretty good for the both of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

The showers did make it but just not enough of them to have an impact, plus the streamer expected went ever so slightly further south of us. The main band overnight which was expected here, again drifted agonisly further southwest than forecast. So the southward correction of a mile or 2 made all the difference to both expected setups, otherwise it would of been pretty good for the both of us.

Oh ok fair enough :-) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

A bit underwhelming, just like the last 'Beast'; just about a covering of snow, but no more, and that was 5-6 o'clock yesterday evening. Hoped for more overnight, but, alas, nothing. Just more wind & cold....

Posted

Sunny snizzle Manc Picc. 

City life. No thanks. 

E6DF7B45-1089-461A-A486-26EEC2D2671F.thumb.jpeg.f8641e26290c169dea578b7ba6763eaf.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Again the GFS shows really no signs of Spring again showing a cold Easter with further Snow and Ice This time from the North.

Looks like we could go from winter to Summer this year.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

I was hoping to walk up Ingelborough with my dog today, set off early morning after sleeping nearby in my car.  Too cold and too windy on the moorland Even with balaclava the side of my face was numb and even though Border Collies are good in cold weather I think this was probably a bit too much for him to carry on...  If i did not have my dog probably would have trundled up to the top not to be defeated.

Not loads of snow but what was their was blowing around.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Most of the snow here just melted now.  I just bet regardless how cold it is this time of year it will melt in the strong sun.