Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Just now, Dexter said:

Still snowing lightly here. The sun poked through half an hour ago and made light work of decimating snow cover on one side of the street. Still some drifts several inches deep on the opposite side! Been another fabulous event. Wouldn't say no to one last hurrah before spring/summer kicks in.

Yeah the sun is pretty strong 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some heavy arguing this morning with patches of bickering at times. Very cold with a distinct  feel of unpleasantness in the air. Looking like a big improvement later with some intervals of sarca

Thaw setting in now! Some unbelievable scenes, still folk snowed in in places, imagine how this looked before the thaw and before being dug out when the snow was untouched!!  95BD1E10

Some self righteous folk on here it seems. Nature is nature is nature...that includes suffering/tragedy/ unfortunate events etc etc in any form of life, whether it be farming or in our daily live

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

Manchester has about 4 or so inches this morning, 6 in some parts. Not bad for the city, and certainly more than the kast easterley!

Not here! The best I have is a couple of inches on a table on the patio, which is very sheltered from the east. The road was covered at 8, but it's all melted off now, there's no depth of cold in the ground to sustain it. Still nice and white in the garden.

5 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

Not here! The best I have is a couple of inches on a table on the patio, which is very sheltered from the east. The road was covered at 8, but it's all melted off now, there's no depth of cold in the ground to sustain it. Still nice and white in the garden.

Which is, btw, the best we've had this winter/spring.

52 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

Manchester has about 4 or so inches this morning, 6 in some parts. Not bad for the city, and certainly more than the kast easterley!

Yes, a beautiful result and much better than the last easterly! I have drifts of snow on my balcony :D

I wish I had stayed up last night when the heavier falls arrived but I was too tired.

Thankfully my balcony is east facing so it will still have snow tomorrow morning.

Edited by karyo
  • Like 5

Still a few flakes coming down and a bit of blowing snow but nothing compared to earlier.

Pretty impressive stuff while it lasted though

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Must be much milder this morning as the snow is melting quickly off the grass and it’s very cloudy still.

No it’s still -1C (DP -6C) at Manchester Airport. Still exceptionally cold really with a significant wind chill.

Any melt is coming from the sun. 

Lovely snow event and the most snow I have seen since 2010. Didn't get any in 2013 and not much from the original easterly but this has been great. If only it would last longer.

• Like 3

Dont think there will be a thaw until tomorrow here.

Temps still below freezing and expected to drop below freezing after 5pm.

Never want a north westerly again..no marginality in a proper easterly even in mid march..

• Like 2

Snow flurries continuing here with the sun poking through every now and again so won't be any additional accumulation. Nice to look at though. Pavements will be treacherous in the morning if partial snow cover is maintained.

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 1

Icicles are back again. Firmly below freezing here, and I doubt we will get much above freezing, especially if we maintain alot of cloud cover, although a few breaks are appearing. Impressed at the amount of shower activity to our east, N Sea looks like it will fire up activity all day, and the showers are streaming through central lakes. Mostly light this morning compared to yesterday evening.

As with the last cold spell, the wind has caused drifting, roofs and roads have snow blown off them, suspect the same is happening to fields. A notable short sharp wintry blast for mid March. Why can't we get these type of set ups in January.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Icicles are back again. Firmly below freezing here, and I doubt we will get much above freezing, especially if we maintain alot of cloud cover, although a few breaks are appearing. Impressed at the amount of shower activity to our east, N Sea looks like it will fire up activity all day, and the showers are streaming through central lakes. Mostly light this morning compared to yesterday evening.

As with the last cold spell, the wind has caused drifting, roofs and roads have snow blown off them, suspect the same is happening to fields. A notable short sharp wintry blast for mid March. Why can't we get these type of set ups in January.

Could it be to do with the polar vortex breaking down towards the end of winter anywhere, giving us a better chance of a SSW delivering these spells?

1 minute ago, Dkeane3 said:

Could it be to do with the polar vortex breaking down towards the end of winter anywhere, giving us a better chance of a SSW delivering these spells?

Yes easterlies are more likely in February and March compared to December and January, the strength of the PV being probably the prime factor at play. As we saw this year, it waned in early Feb, and then we had the SSW, which I firmly believe has been the reason for the two easterly outbreaks, and the UK being locked on the north side of the polar front jet.

However, we can have easterly outbreaks in Dec and Jan, 2009 and 2010 good examples, though more of a northerly/north easterly influence, with greenland heights. 

One winter we might see a Dec/Jan greenland high followed by a Feb/Mar scandi high.

• Like 1