Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Mokidugway

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Recommended Posts

Still 24c... various interesting cloudscapes.... dry out again now .... humid as... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very warm tonight, I've not had too much trouble sleeping in last few days but at 22c and high humidity tonight will be a tester.  Zero showers this evening.

Edited by dodgeredee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Crap isn't it! Hoping we can see something along the approaching front tomorrow evening/night

Back in the old days, cold fronts approaching such heat would produce a line of torrential rain and thunder and lightning. These days we get drizzly crap whilst Lincolnshire and other eastern counties spark off the storms.

I can remember back in the early 2000s when a cold front approached from the west into heat like we've had recently, was August if I remember rightly. The sky went pitch black with a shelf cloud. Next thing all havoc breaks loose and the thunder and lightning begins. There was water coming into the house it was that torrential. I remember seeing a forecast with Rob McElwee and it was some type of squall that passed through, traversing most of the country with red echoes all along it. 

yes it is crap, something must have changed, I too remember the eighties and nineties, and for all the hot spells we have had recently , a thunderstorm or three would have been a dead cert at some point. 

I remember francis wilson once on breakfast tv saying thundery weather will move north this evening,  then later I looked out the bathroom window at the back and saw frequent vivid  cg strikes from two storms queuing at the back of each other about 2 miles away with deep booms,  then a close bolt which made me jump from another separate closer storm from the front side of the house that had just started to form.   that kind of thundery weather seems a distant memory,   I keep putting it all down to bad luck, but the bad luck has gone on too long ,even bad luck runs out, 

any thunder forecasts thesedays is taken with a pinch of salt ,      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IanR said:

yes it is crap, something must have changed, I too remember the eighties and nineties, and for all the hot spells we have had recently , a thunderstorm or three would have been a dead cert at some point. 

I remember francis wilson once on breakfast tv saying thundery weather will move north this evening,  then later I looked out the bathroom window at the back and saw frequent vivid  cg strikes from two storms queuing at the back of each other about 2 miles away with deep booms,  then a close bolt which made me jump from another separate closer storm from the front side of the house that had just started to form.   that kind of thundery weather seems a distant memory,   I keep putting it all down to bad luck, but the bad luck has gone on too long ,even bad luck runs out, 

any thunder forecasts thesedays is taken with a pinch of salt ,      

It goes beyond bad luck and I've been saying that for a couple of years now.

There has been a fundamental change somewhere down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to highlight how cursed we are...Arpege suggests showers/storms breaking out over Wales tomorrow afternoon. However, rather than moving N&E like the storms have today, they casually wander straight N and head into the Irish Sea

arpegeuk-1-23-0.png?27-00

It's almost like there is something actively deflecting storms away from the region. 

NE England looks to be in for a treat tomorrow evening

arpegeuk-1-28-0.png?27-01

Edited by CreweCold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a downgrade in the metoffice forecast for storm risk today and tomorrow. Disappointing as I had good hopes for today. Frustratingly, we are probably too far West. Still, forecasts aren't always correct and there will be plenty of energy, moisture and instability around in the atmosphere so who knows....

Yesterday was a case in point of how tricky it can be to forecast as the metoffice warning zone didn't cover the main zone of storms across Yorkshire that broke out yesterday afternoon and evening. Not a criticism of the metoffice, just highlights the uncertainties.

Other convective forecasts do offer more hope for the NW. Ukweatherworld forecasts a more widespread risk of storms, although that forecast was made around 18:00 yesterday so look forward to the update today.

Edited by Dexter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing that it looks like all this heat is not going to go out with a bang in the NW but I am looking forward to the fresher weather over the weekend. Will certainly make outdoor activities more pleasant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id love a good thunderstorm to bring this hot sultry spell to an end but looking at the radar we're stuck in the middle between more general rain in the west & some humdinger storms to the south which will probably mostly track to the East of the pennies as they move north overnight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC radio Manchester and BBC local news mention risk of heavy showers and thunder today 

BBC national forcast says storms in East mainly ,   useless lot ! which is it then ?    I would bet on the latter 

@ Crewecold, something does seem to have changed but what ,  its not like the north west never got storms , we did , although still not as much as the south east,  but we got a fair share,  tbh I think storm activity is less everwhere but prone areas still get them

is there haaarp experiments or cloud seeding secretly going on ? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29.7c max here today...tackling a messy garden at a house in Whitfield earlier... sweaty couple of hours... humid again now...g&t made and sausages on bed of onions in the oven... hoping for a thunderstorm...at least gardens will get some rain Saturday/Sunday... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IanR said:

 

is there haaarp experiments or cloud seeding secretly going on ? 🤔

I'm not usually one for conspiracies but this had crossed my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really cannot recall the last storm seen here, it's a good few years. 💩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I really cannot recall the last storm seen here, it's a good few years. 💩

Last two times I’ve seen lightening and heard thunder in this country has been whilst it’s lashing it down with really heavy snow.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Watch and weep http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12...it's going off 10 to the dozen over to the east.

It is going absolutely berserk over in the East. Oh to be under that lot! Maybe the chance of some thundery showers here later in the night and tomorrow, but I think I am straw clutching tbh. 

Recent strike near Buxton. Probably rogue though...

 

Edited by Dexter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imby, I would say we get more snow than we do thunderstorms and I'm sure you all know by now how little snow we get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a friday , no work tommorow , and I am alone tonight, I am really tempted to jump in the car and head east along the m62 over the pennines , just cooking tea now , so it may get 8 o clock before i can set out  anyone think I will be wasting my time , will those storms have moved to far north or out into the north sea by the time I get there,    sod it , i am going anyway,  i may get a distant lighting show as it will be dusk by then ,   better rush my tea down then , never done a storm chase ,  wish me luck !  

Edited by IanR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very hot here but overcast 

Edited by itsnowjoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IanR said:

Its a friday , no work tommorow , and I am alone tonight, I am really tempted to jump in the car and head east along the m62 over the pennines , just cooking tea now , so it may get 8 o clock before i can set out  anyone think I will be wasting my time , will those storns have moved to far north or out into the nort hsea by the time I get there,    sod it , i am going anyway,  i mat get a distant lighting show as it will be dusk by then ,   better rush my tea down then , never done a storm chase ,  wish me luck !  

Good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

haha , you quoted my post before i could spell check and edit,  a bit rushed !  , I want to get to the storms, its my only chance of seeing any this year,  right , tea now ,,,then off ,  I will stay within the speed limit,  i will let you know how I get on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

I'm not usually one for conspiracies but this had crossed my mind. 

What a conspiracy against storm lovers from NW England?

Storms have happened this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind got up here probably help to blow those storms back east if they were thinking of popping over to say hello 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

It is going absolutely berserk over in the East. Oh to be under that lot! Maybe the chance of some thundery showers here later in the night and tomorrow, but I think I am straw clutching tbh. 

Recent strike near Buxton. Probably rogue though...

 

I know very frustrating... and still the radar shows nothing promising down the central spine of England... we've had one rumble this summer, a clap of thunder... but nothing that like organised lightning show that's hitting the east now... probable some frequent CG strikes in that lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...