Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

6 minutes ago, Spurry said:

I know it's not official but my garden weather station hit 33.3c today,it was probably the hottest day I've experienced since I moved here in 1989 and it felt like being in the Mediterranean ☀️☀️.It's now 21:20 and it's still 23.6c..Looks like a very uncomfortable night ahead.

Misread mine got to 34 c , impressive

• Like 2

Posted

31c here today.... 36c in car and 46c on wall thermometer clock in direct sun.... wind has got up... https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/moorland-fire-saddleworth-tameside-live-14824416

not looking good with gusty wind developing... still 25c atm... hills/ground is tinder dry... good luck to fire crews... 

09CC8152-4EA4-465E-83B5-1AD5DEB243F1.jpeg

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted

My younger bro who works for CF&RS has just come off-shift after nearly 6 hours working under the heat, intensive conditions, wearing full apparatus fighting the Stalybridge side of the fireline. To say he is 'nackered' is a understatement as he's that exhausted the old man is going to pick him up because he simply can't get home on his bike. 

• Like 2

Posted

Showing no signs of dying down yet.  Tinderbox set of circumstances.  Some reports suggest it was started by scrambler bikes, but obviously nothing of reliance until full investigation takes place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Showing no signs of dying down yet.  Tinderbox set of circumstances.  Some reports suggest it was started by scrambler bikes, but obviously nothing of reliance until full investigation takes place.

Sounds like dig at bikers  and 4 by 4 users ,most likely a discarded cigarette or broken glass

Edited by Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

And obviously because it isn't the south not a word from any of the major news outlets... It's almost like NW England doesn't exist :nonono:

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Sounds like dig at bikers  and 4 by 4 users ,most likely a discarded cigarette or broken glass

Pretty sure if it had been started by a scrambler biker the biker themselves would have known about it fairly sharpish. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

This could be like the California fires if it gets to the villages

Posted
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

This could be like the California fires if it gets to the villages

It’s awful but to have homes under threat, evacuations... eeek feel for the folk fighting the fires for the last 48-72hrs....

Posted

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/moorland-fire-saddleworth-tameside-live-14824416

not looking good.... hope to wake up to better news tomorrow....

plus bbc finally acknowledges Tameside fire on front page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

The view from Whaley Moor (some 11 miles south of the fire-line) this evening, intense glow looking at it through the clearer air here. Full 300mm zoom with around a 3s exposure.

DSC_0010.thumb.JPG.1474f29c376c68eb83858132925767e8.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Horrendous round here. Can’t thank the emergency services, locals, peak park, uu, rspb and everyone who’s been up there all day enough. 

Early start tomorrow, I’ll be on site keeping the way clear at Dovestones for emergency services and trying to stop the bbqs (yes there are still people trying to bring bbqs)

Fingers crossed it can be got under control tomorrow.

• Like 4

Posted

I do wonder why the OSRL 727 hasn't been made available for dropping dispersal powder across the fire, it might be a case of logistics or that it's too costly for authorities to consider using. But if the States and Russia can do it with converted freight aircraft then maybe it's something that could be utilized here in the UK for remote fires such as this... I know the 'Moors for the Future' helicopter has been out dropping water-buckets on it though, from watching the news reports and video.

https://www.oilspillresponse.com/news--media/news/osrl-boeing-727/

Posted
8 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Strangely There's a smell of burning undergrowth around here 

I can smell it in Chorlton this morning.

Posted

We really could do with some rain now round here- those fires are becoming very very scary esp for those in the saddleworth area.

Looking at the UKMO/ECM it looks like its going to be quite a while before any rains come.

Posted
1 hour ago, alr1970 said:

I can smell it in Chorlton this morning.

Actually I could see it. In town it's clear.

Posted
3 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

Sorry but a bit of rain is definitely needed now to put those fires out. Regardless of your own preference. 

I would have to say that i agree with this sentiment. 

Just had a gander at the MO thread and there doesn't seem anything containing anything wet in the outlook for the foreseeable .....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

The fire has been playing havoc with my chest, hope they manage to put it out soon. We need a good few days of steady rain aswell. Everything is so parched and straw like.