Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Misty start up here for us early risers but it didn’t last long and the sun is out now.

Hopefully a good day for working in the garden, broken by the football at lunchtime and a BBQ later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

A very sunny May followed by a very sunny June. It's been a long time since we had such an extended sunny period as this.

Incidentally February was a sunny month as well. 

Yes and both ended with an easterly although if my memory serves me correctly, the February one was a bit on the coolish side.

fantastic days weather today, for those like me who like it warm and sunny.

Just finished after a full day working in the garden fitting decking and my back is certainly feeling it now along with a sunburned neck although that’s my fault for once again underestimating the strength of the sun at this time of year.

Posted

A glorious day here in the Lake District - out in Great Langdale, superb blue skies little wind and sunshine and warm to boot - not oppressively so- thankfully it is very dry air so not very humid.

Another starry very light twilight night on the cards - and a run of such nights lies ahead. 

Temps could peak as high as 26 possibly even 27 in the Lake District Tues-Thurs, not often you can say that. Perfectly positioned high for such temps, a slight easterly feed helps.

Those who picked this week for a holiday in the Lakes have struck lucky. We've had a very good 2 month spell overall, lots of sunshine, very dry overall as well. How long will it continue? Shades of 1995 about things at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Watched in envy yesterday the cricket match from Manchester. Another cloudless glorious Manchester day. Must be one of the regions best spell of sunshine and warmth ever so far. Here in the Eastern Alps , another cool cloudy day dawns with temp currently 7c. Blighty the place to be for warmth and sunshine !

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Fantastic day again. Wall to wall sunshine. Temps in the mid twenties. Probably up to 30C and above by Wednesday. 

Long may this continue! All through the summer preferably. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Anyone got access to good quality satellite images? We have a big moorland fire here today and you can just see the smoke on sat24, wondered if you can make it out clearer. Would be interesting to see.

Posted

Seen that in the local news it's been raging all night & through the day today.   Very difficult conditions facing the emergency services with the heat of today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
3 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Seen that in the local news it's been raging all night & through the day today.   Very difficult conditions facing the emergency services with the heat of today. 

Yep, I was worrying about fires starting up again after all this dry weather. Apparently this one started yesterday and was put out, but the peat has been smouldering and reignited today. Once it’s gets in the peat it’s very tricky, it’s going to take a while to tackle :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
9 minutes ago, James M said:

Yep, I was worrying about fires starting up again after all this dry weather. Apparently this one started yesterday and was put out, but the peat has been smouldering and reignited today. Once it’s gets in the peat it’s very tricky, it’s going to take a while to tackle :(

It's raining ash here in Hadfield and the sky is yellow.

Posted
20 minutes ago, James M said:

Anyone got access to good quality satellite images? We have a big moorland fire here today and you can just see the smoke on sat24, wondered if you can make it out clearer. Would be interesting to see.

From http://meteoradar.co.uk/clouds-sun-UK-Ireland#

207092748_download(1024x742).thumb.jpg.96f88bac891bf6ed8dd0db9d2841ce81.jpg

Don't tell the MEN, they'd get overexcited ("Moorland fire VISIBLE FROM SPACE"). Their entire article on it comprises fire service tweets and pictures other people have put on social media.

Posted
23 minutes ago, James M said:

Smoke plume is visible on sat24, it's beginning to cross my area now although the smoke is more diffuse I can still smell the burning in the air.

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Just now, SNOW_JOKE said:

Smoke plume is visible on sat24, it's beginning to cross my area now although the smoke is more diffuse I can still smell the burning in the air.

http://sat24.com/gb

Like it or not, were having a bbq.

Everything smells of smoke.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had one of the Army Helicopters flying down the Goyt Valley around 10 minutes ago, not sure if they've been tasked out in helping tackling the fire or if they're out on exercise. Whaley, New Mills, Buxton, and Glossop crews are down at Dovestones at this time providing assistance. With the current high-pressure inversion any smoke that's around now will likely be trapped until after sunset so it might be worth a stroll out with the camera in a few hours from now. 

Posted

Sun is now behind ash clouds and bright orange hue... ash falling occasionally... saw a fire engine go up earlier this morning whilst in town... lookslike a big one from photos... hot weather not helping... hope firefighters and emergency personnel okay.... 

Posted
29 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Sun is now behind ash clouds and bright orange hue... ash falling occasionally... saw a fire engine go up earlier this morning whilst in town... lookslike a big one from photos... hot weather not helping... hope firefighters and emergency personnel okay.... 

Yes, it looks about 1km wide from here in town:

P1140937.thumb.JPG.9d215be26fd88c960ca79ee1b3b0fa87.JPG

And the intensity of smoke has been the same since lunchtime. There's a huge plume spreading southwards, as far as one can see really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yeah, let's just pray we get some rainfall soon. Plenty of numpties about recently I've noticed, who seem to be willing us into a drought or a serious situation where we've got wildfires raging all around us. It been predominantly dry for weeks and weeks so let's have some useable rainfall now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

30c possible tomorrow a high of 27.6c here today lots of hot Sunshine to look forward to this week maybe a very small chance of a Thunderstorm later on Sunday.

C.S

Posted

Lovely sunset just gone, unfortunately once night falls it means the firefighters having to retreat off the moors and fighting the Dovestones wildfire which has now been burning for over 15 hours. Easily seen from where I am with the smoke beginning to settle as the temperature thermals of today drop in energy.

IMG_5582.thumb.JPG.16c45e4b23b600c5dc9c3fbadaf96171.JPGIMG_5591.thumb.JPG.a8fefc92671c3f2dc1a4ccd72563719d.JPG