Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted

Back home after a week down in Somerset helping my sharp cookie of a 92 year old Nan move to my mums village and finding out my mum doesn’t need anymore radiotherapy made my summer... weather not great down there but pretty much same as today 22-24c humid cloudy occasionally sunny... my brother just did Mumbai to Chennai tuk tuk challenge via Kerala surviving a landslide during their worst monsoon in 60 yrs... he’s moving to Costa Rica opening an eco lodge near where earthquake was yesterday.... 

5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Back home after a week down in Somerset helping my sharp cookie of a 92 year old Nan move to my mums village and finding out my mum doesn’t need anymore radiotherapy made my summer... weather not great down there but pretty much same as today 22-24c humid cloudy occasionally sunny... my brother just did Mumbai to Chennai tuk tuk challenge via Kerala surviving a landslide during their worst monsoon in 60 yrs... he’s moving to Costa Rica opening an eco lodge near where earthquake was yesterday.... 

I have a cousin in Costa Rica  who operates a charter sloop  he might know him ,lol

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I have a cousin in Costa Rica  who operates a charter sloop  he might know him ,lol

He’s moving there in September coming back for Christmas them there until April...he’s trialling  running an eco lodge with his wife.... hopefully we’ll pop over to Costa Rica in March.... never been before... only been to Belize and Venezuela in 2000...

cooking sausages from my mums local butchers in ilminster for tea.... they’re the best... 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, rain_shadow said:

Yes but forecast completely failed here, for Southport today hours of warm Sunshine today.

1534606702062244452024.jpg

But you live right on the coast so don't suffer the convective infill.  I've been to New Brighton on several occasions when it was sunny most of the day but looking back to where I live (about 10 miles inland as the crow flies) I could see the cloud shrouding Frodsham and Helsby hills.  Actually the sun did put on an appearance just after lunch but the cloud has now closed in again.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

But you live right on the coast so don't suffer the convective infill.  I've been to New Brighton on several occasions when it was sunny most of the day but looking back to where I live (about 10 miles inland as the crow flies) I could see the cloud shrouding Frodsham and Helsby hills.  Actually the sun did put on an appearance just after lunch but the cloud has now closed in again.

That is true Pete, often see cloud all around me 

• Like 1

Posted

Another dank grey damp uninspiring August day here, a glimmer of a chink of sunshine mid afternoon, but predominantly cloudy. Thankfully little wind about and it felt fairly humid thanks to the tropical maritime moist air. Also meant another cloud fest for the higher fells, could hardly see above 200 metres this morning, with cloud lifting to about 500 metres this afternoon, not the best conditions for fell walking.

Feel a little sorry for holiday makers who have waited until August to visit the Lakes, knowing how good the last 3 months have been.. 

Will keep on saying it August is my least favourite month for fell walking in the Lake District, many a wet or damp humid cloud fested ventures in the fells in the past. Come September we lose the humidity and see cleaner airstreams added with a  lower level of light it marks a significant change in the feel of things.. an excellent month for fell walking usually with extremes at there yearly minimum - suncream can be thrown away by the middle of the month..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Just been through a drizzle shower and now at Alton towers. Must be in the 70's already.

• Like 1

Posted

Chucking it down now and still muggy no storms forecast though

• Like 1

Posted

Cloudy day was hoping for some sun...hopefully tomorrow 22-25c with some sun before it’s maxes of 14-16c rest of the week.... meant to be 15-17c overnight lows and muggy.... hills looking greener and grass growing... tomorrow is a gardening day for sure... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Seems to have been raining for most of the night but nothing on the radar. Yes the rain is drizzle but everywhere is sodden so you'd expect it to show up on the radar!

Posted

Further brief bursts of sun this afternoon - albeit too shortlived, and despite respectable temperatures, under the cloud another fairly lacklustre August day. Very humid feel overall especially this evening with no wind.

A marked change tomorrow, certainly fresher - and by the weekend very autumnal in feel. Hoping the small feature showing up on the models moves away quickly overnight Friday into Saturday to leave a dry Saturday at least, as Sunday looks showery and Monday damp at times. Overall a poor weekend on the cards. We were spoilt in May - two excellent bank holidays. It will feel very different to the late May bank holiday - always the best one in my book, marking the start of summer.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
33 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

It will feel very different to the late May bank holiday - always the best one in my book, marking the start of summer.. 

This one marks the count down to Christmas. 

The Christmas stuff will start hitting the shops next month. 

Posted

Moderate westerly winds now with plenty of showers in the west, always has our name on it.  Going to be even more vile tomorrow looking at the forecast.  North Westerly winds piling in the showers....we probably won't notice the gaps when they get going later on.  Mixed Bank Hol weekend but not totally throwing in the towel on summer yet.  Might just scrape a few nice days before eternal darkness and 5 months of misery sets in..with the odd wintry highlight.

Posted

Showers quite heavy  and very dark overcast evening...first time since April bothered to put heating on....in August.... eeek.... maxes of 10-12c tomorrow.... in August.... yuck..... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Visiting a friend for lunch in a village in Cumbria called Crosby Garrett , which redefines the middle of nowhere - it was 9c and they had lit a fire , definitely a first of the season !

AEC3A0C0-E449-46A4-90D8-CD6C73FCEC72.jpeg

Edited by Badgers01
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Temps fell to 7c as this hail shower trundled through ! 

3EA8314D-E4A0-42C2-98AD-39CBFEC98380.jpeg

• Like 1