Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted

Temperatures overplayed here today? Might scrape a 28

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

29.2c here and there's a black cloud formed right over me, I can't see how high it is, breeze picked up too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Metoffice forecast max of 30C so 28C not that far off, if we reach it. Therefore not really significantly overplayed and surely within bounds of forecasting error?

Edited by Dexter

Posted

30c here extremely humid & heavy... see that radar returns are breaking out between here and Sheffield and north of Leeds/Bradford 

Posted
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

30c here extremely humid & heavy... see that radar returns are breaking out between here and Sheffield and north of Leeds/Bradford 

What do you mean radar returns are breaking out? 

Posted

Oh! Don't think I've heard that terminology before either that or my brain is fuddled

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Metoffice forecast max of 30C so 28C not that far off, if we reach it. Therefore not really significantly overplayed and surely within bounds of forecasting error?

True, but it was forecast 31C for today on Wednesday. And Friday's 36C for the south east tomorrow has been quietly downgraded to 32.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Alexis said:

True, but it was forecast 31C for today on Wednesday. And Friday's 36C for the south east tomorrow has been quietly downgraded to 32.

Model outputs do change from run to run, so whilst the forecast yesterday was suggesting 31C today, this was revised to 30C this morning taking account of latest model information. The models are not static, so the forecasts will change to take account of latest information.  Sounds fairly accurate for today anyway given Manchester Airport has just hit 29C? I wouldn't call it a quiet downgrade, just taking account of latest information. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted

Looks like those storms are going to stay on the other side of the Pens... hope we get a good t-storm tomorrow but alas I think most of the action will be to the east of the region.

Posted

31.4c things seem to be destabilising and the clouds getting more threatening and moving more sse to nnw been quite gusty for last couple of hours too.... it’s very humid...  can see the huge clouds giving a storm east of Sheffield too... it’s very hazy 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Remarkable temps being reached given the cloud. Would be nice if we could get some thunder and lightning overnight, although I suspect tomorrow may provide the best chance.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Remarkable temps being reached given the cloud. Would be nice if we could get some thunder and lightning overnight, although I suspect tomorrow may provide the best chance.

Was very hazy clear sky after an overcast couple of hours lunchtime...still getting big breaks between the building clouds... making pulled pork baps with cider bbq sauce corn on the cob and homemade chips... hotter in the kitchen  

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

.. making pulled pork baps with cider bbq sauce corn on the cob and homemade chips... hotter in the kitchen  

If you lived nearer I'd be round for tea

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
47 minutes ago, Jan said:

If you lived nearer I'd be round for tea

I do live nearer and I'm still waiting

First hefty shower of the day had soaked the ground. Another one looks to be hot on it's heels.

• Like 1

Posted

No storms for NW England then , even though we are near 30c atm and closer to that low pressure,   the East have them all, and will have them all tomorrow ,  here is what stav danos  basically just said about friday,  thunderstorms will continue to develop in Eastern England, severe in places , meanwhile in the west , wind and rain will move in where it will be fresher 

Will I ever see another storm here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Heavy shower just gone through, short lived and no thunder.

Posted
33 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I do live nearer and I'm still waiting

First hefty shower of the day had soaked the ground. Another one looks to be hot on it's heels.

Was loading dishwasher and looked out window... short sharp shower... no thunder... still 28c very humid... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, IanR said:

No storms for NW England then , even though we are near 30c atm and closer to that low pressure,   the East have them all, and will have them all tomorrow ,  here is what stav danos  basically just said about friday,  thunderstorms will continue to develop in Eastern England, severe in places , meanwhile in the west , wind and rain will move in where it will be fresher 

Will I ever see another storm here

Crap isn't it! Hoping we can see something along the approaching front tomorrow evening/night

Back in the old days, cold fronts approaching such heat would produce a line of torrential rain and thunder and lightning. These days we get drizzly crap whilst Lincolnshire and other eastern counties spark off the storms.

I can remember back in the early 2000s when a cold front approached from the west into heat like we've had recently, was August if I remember rightly. The sky went pitch black with a shelf cloud. Next thing all havoc breaks loose and the thunder and lightning begins. There was water coming into the house it was that torrential. I remember seeing a forecast with Rob McElwee and it was some type of squall that passed through, traversing most of the country with red echoes all along it. 

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Got to 30c here late afternoon, not bad for a mainly cloudy day.

dry until about 10 minutes ago when we had a few heavy drops of nice cooling rain but it’s stopped now.