Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Here’s a hoping.....

I'm at Tameside A&E with second youngest. Deep splinter needs fishing out as it's gone infected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Well that lot should put a bit of green back into the grass around these parts.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I'm at Tameside A&E with second youngest. Deep splinter needs fishing out as it's gone infected.

Eeek had three splinters the other weekend walking bare foot outside... one was really hard to get out.... hope it’s got out and antibiotics clear up infection.... ouch...   now 18c 26mm rain out of two downpours.... hills hopefully soaking it up.... 72 mm from last Friday/sat early morning and this evening... 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Eeek had three splinters the other weekend walking bare foot outside... one was really hard to get out.... hope it’s got out and antibiotics clear up infection.... now 18c 26mm rain out of two downpours.... hills hopefully soaking it up....

That will test my repaired shed roof and new gutter system

Posted
Just now, Had Worse said:

That will test my repaired shed roof and new gutter system

Wasn’t massively heavy but really what has been needed....water butts filled again... need to felt line my shed roof...there’s big holes in it.... 

Posted
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Wasn’t massively heavy but really what has been needed....water butts filled again... need to felt line my shed roof...there’s big holes in it.... 

Like a Swiss cheese

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Like a Swiss cheese

Indeed... luckily atm don’t store anything in it.... would like to get a green house too... after weeks of dry weather the rain smells so nice.... 

Posted

Some useful amounts of rain today. Moderate stuff early this morning, and it rained off and on all day, with a long heavier spell early this evening. Also, there is less evaporation today due to the cooler uppers, temps were only 16 degrees this evening.

All welcome for the farmers etc.

Next few days don't look like bringing much rain, but chance of showers. Later in the week could bring some heavier downpours and a messy mix of drizzle or rain in what will be much humid air. Anyhow I'm disappearing to the south until very end of the month - where the warm dry weather looks set to continue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

A moderate downpour this morning , but then took the grandson to Manchester airport visitor centre where it was bone dry..However had quite a lot of rain this evening which has really helped water the grass.... Off to W Sweden (between Göteborg and Trollhättan) on friday for a week , hope the forecast is correct as it will mean lots of  outdoor fun and swimming if it comes off..

Posted

image.thumb.png.da160675e8d5e69f5dfd0b2721103216.png  Now that's more like it. Strange that theres no weatherfor 6am and 9am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Lovely fresher feel this morning. I thought it would feel fresher yesterday but was absolutely stifling out despite limited sun. Felt way more uncomfortable out yesterday than when it was several degrees warmer over past few weeks. Proof that humidity is key as it must have been through the roof.

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

7 million to be hit by a hosepipe ban from August 5th

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44850128

That's good. It started raining a week after the last one was imposed, in 2010 and the rest of the summer was wet. This will coincide nicely with us going away to France mid-August and missing the wet stuff, while not having to worry about the garden while we're away. ☔

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11018474

Posted

Finally had a bit of rain here yesterday.  Light showery bits and bobs in the morning with a heavier burst for around an hr around 5pm.  Again though almost all the really heavy stuff skirted around us passing either up the coast of over towards Blackburn way.  

Not going to start banging on about the hosepipe ban ..... its the old story about leaking pipes etc .... we live in one of the wettest parts of the country and yet UU are the first (bar N Ireland) to impose a ban .... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
7 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

7 million to be hit by a hosepipe ban from August 5th

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44850128

I know rain has been in short supply this summer so far , but it's a bit pathetic not to mention bad management, when the wettest part of England is the first to issue a hosepipe ban.

11 minutes ago, Spurry said:

I know rain has been in short supply this summer so far , but it's a bit pathetic not to mention bad management, when the wettest part of England is the first to issue a hosepipe ban.

Not suprised really ,endemic of a greedy corrupt lazy nation that  the uk is ,god help us if we had a major natural disaster akin to what Japan suffers from time to time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Not suprised really ,endemic of a greedy corrupt lazy nation that  the uk is ,god help us if we had a major natural disaster akin to what Japan suffers from time to time.

But the same thing applies to all countries, Mok? A sustained period of sustained non-existent rainfall will have same effect anywhere - California, Australia...Brazil even?

Surely the fact that the N and NW can usually (as in 99 years out of every 100!) rely on so much rain, that it wouldn't normally matter, can only exacerbate the problem, when it arises?

I don't see how we can blame 'bad management' and leaks for everything; the current dryness is, IMO, far outwith what can be regarded as 'normal?:D

31 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But the same thing applies to all countries, Mok? A sustained period of sustained non-existent rainfall will have same effect anywhere - California, Australia...Brazil even?

Surely the fact that the N and NW can usually (as in 99 years out of every 100!) rely on so much rain, that it wouldn't normally matter, can only exacerbate the problem, when it arises?

I don't see how we can blame 'bad management' and leaks for everything; the current dryness is, IMO, far outwith what can be regarded as 'normal?:D

North west waters infrastructure is in a shocking state ed years of underinvestment resulting in 1000s of leaks sinkholes etc ,even though the region holds 95% of England's water 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Mokidugway said:

They're not prepared to take a hit on profit to improve infrastructure. As you say, pure greed. The little man has to suffer at the expense of the top dogs creaming off their 'hard earned' profits. Sadly endemic to big business all over. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

They're not prepared to take a hit on profit to improve infrastructure. As you say, pure greed. The little man has to suffer at the expense of the top dogs creaming off their 'hard earned' profits. Sadly endemic to big business all over. 

And they are soon pestering when you owe them but when it's the other way round it takes ages to get your money back. Funny that.

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

And they are soon pestering when you owe them but when it's the other way round it takes ages to get your money back. Funny that.

Again, it's the same far and wide. It really boils my jaffa cakes how greedy companies feel they can steamroller all in their way just so they can keep paying themselves and the shareholders massive salaries/bonuses. When you stop and think about it, it knocks you sick. 

• Like 1

Posted

If everyone turned around and said 'you know what, eff this, you can have your money when you sort out the issues' things would soon get done. I've overheard my dad on the phone to the council many times point blank refusing to pay his council tax in full until certain things are sorted out in the area. I sometimes cringe but if everybody did this, maybe we'd see some worthwhile activity

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Lets put it into some perspective. It's a hosepipe ban. Surely people can survive without using a hosepipe for awhile? 

It's not the ban per se, it's the principle of the whole thing. Why should it even be necessary? Are you telling me that 8 weeks of dry weather should warrant these restrictions when no other English water company has introduced such measures.

Why should people continue to pay full price for such shoddy services and resultant restrictions?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

It's not the ban per se, it's the principle of the whole thing. Why should it even be necessary? Are you telling me that 8 weeks of dry weather should warrant these restrictions when no other English water company has introduced such measures.

Why should people continue to pay full price for such shoddy services and resultant restrictions?

Isn't it problem for everyone? Our society demands more water than ever. Dishwashers, washing machines etc. 

I think the water companies can improve with efficencies but so can we but they can't rain make though and demand always increases during warm weather. There is no getting away from it.. 

Are they telling to you not to use water? No

Are they telling you not to water the garden? No

Are they telling you not to wash the car? No

Will you be effected because you can't use an hosepipe? Do you even own a hosepipe? 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1