Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

13 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Summer's last hurrah looks to be showing in the models now for next weekend. How long that lasts for I don't know. However longer range modelling looks fairly set on a westerly dominated August now. Thank the lord.

The pattern that has dominated for months looks to be slowly waning. Fits and starts admittedly, but HP is gaining less and less of a foothold as it attempts to ridge in from the SW...which is a sign that the upper profile is slowly shifting.

I'd disagree a little with your last sentence. High pressure seems more influential in recent output than had been previously suggested. Indeed, areas further south really do look like enjoying a remarkably dry and hot summer.

Where I do agree is regarding the general pattern change. I see nothing in the output to suggest a return to easterlies and the lengthy dry weather of the previous weeks. A westerly pattern but should be quite decent for many. For NW'ern areas in particular we will likely see more in the way of rain - which I'm sure you're looking forward to! :)

Edited by Reverse Zonality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

I'd disagree a little with your last sentence. High pressure seems more influential in recent output than had been previously suggested. Indeed, areas further south really do look like enjoying a remarkably dry and hot summer.

Where I do agree is regarding the general pattern change. I see nothing in the output to suggest a return to easterlies and the lengthy dry weather of the previous weeks. For NW'ern areas in particular we will likely see more in the way of rain - which I'm sure you're looking forward to! :)

Yes, we may see the SE cling on to drier, warmer weather. However it does look like the PFJ will begin to head slowly S in the next few weeks, which should set up a more traditional NW/SE split during the readjustment period. 

I think the NW of the UK has seen the best of the summer now though. Mornings drawing out noticeably now too...lurvely. No longer getting light at 3.30am. It's after 4 now.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Cycled up to Woodhead today, another boiling one. There was evidence of a decent fall of rain up there: plenty of washed up leaves, etc., on the paths, so hopefully Saddleworth got a proper soaking too. Lots of the moorland vegetation is looking very stressed: dying birch saplings, bilberry plants turning orange and brown. The bilberries themselves were plentiful but tiny, showing the lack of moisture too. 

• Like 2

Posted

26c lovely jubbly.... managed to get rid of bbq/fire pit stench... going for a pizza takeaway tonight... too much energy exerted yesterday.... hehe rain has given garden a new lease of life.... 

Posted

So much for an unsettled spell here. Even the frontal rainfall forecast for tomorrow  seems to be steadily fizzling out.  Rest of the week looks mostly  dry as well. We missed thurs/fridays storms here, ground is still bone dry even after that small amount of rain on friday morning.  High pressure looking to move back the longer the week progresses as well. Been one of the longest dry spells i can remember here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Major fire on Raven Crag above Thirlmere, will try to post a pic

Posted
1 minute ago, JeffC said:

Major fire on Raven Crag above Thirlmere, will try to post a pic

Credit to a Michelle Telford on Facebook page I Love the Lake District 

FB_IMG_1531688359428.jpg

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

Aye heard about that , what's the situation 

This from Cumbria Fire & Rescue website, chopper dropping water bombs

Screenshot_20180715-220217.png

• Like 1

Posted

Got back to Blighty on Saturday evening. Can't believe how yellow the grass is here. I remember 1995 but I don't recall anything like this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

I am looking forward to a 'fresher' spell of weather, even if only very brief. I'm not really a huge fan of extreme heat, but tolerate it in the hope it leads to thunderstorms and am always fascinated to see if records can be broken. Apart from a couple of rumbles on Friday evening, had no real storm potential for weeks. Hopefully that will change. On the plus side, the heat has destroyed the lawn so haven't had to cut the grass for weeks on end!

Posted

Still waiting for the rain and fresher air to follow.... dry, sunny and quite humid feeling day today so far, but some showers now gathering to the south west.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

26c here humid hotter than forecast... been in central Manchester all day got pretty humid last hour before caught train back... hoping for a storm to water plants and cool things down 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

looking at the radar  i'm about to receive 2 epic storms,can see a wall cloud approaching now..exciting times!

Posted
14 minutes ago, gregior said:

looking at the radar  i'm about to receive 2 epic storms,can see a wall cloud approaching now..exciting times!

Zero electrical activity at the moment, so I can only assume the excitement is that you are actually going to seeing rain?

Posted
17 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Zero electrical activity at the moment, so I can only assume the excitement is that you are actually going to seeing rain?

yeah no thunder it's the rain i'm more interested in,round 1 was a bit of a let down,just moderate rain hope this next lot has a bit more oomph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

image.thumb.png.c77d0255d7537715df5001040222bdf0.png Looks to be developing on the southern edge, which might send it over my dot

Posted
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

image.thumb.png.c77d0255d7537715df5001040222bdf0.png Looks to be developing on the southern edge, which might send it over my dot

Here’s a hoping.....

Posted

Very distant thunder heard, and some heavier pulses of rain, but nothing exciting...yet!!  Fingers crossed for East Lancs!

Posted

Who are the BBC/Meteogroup using for their data now? Another poor forecast for here - it's lashing it down