Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
55 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Still 25c humid..... possible hosepipe ban tomorrow:.. had text message from United Utilities....

.......and this is after 10ft of Snow in March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, Mokidugway said:

I'm off grid so laughing

Your supply not at risk? 

Posted
50 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

.......and this is after 10ft of Snow in March.

Aye but to be fair to them they're not saying there's no water, what they're saying is that they're struggling to get enough water around the system at peak times...

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

Nope

Must have a helluva drill!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

10ft of snow doesn't equate to 10ft of water. 

Thanks for that.

Not interested in the science of it all  - just the irony of the extremes of the Metropolis of Glossop in 2018.

Posted

One thing this region does offer over the NE is definately a prolonged run of temps into the mid 20s and even high twenties and long may it continue. No low cloud and sea fog in sight!

Posted
On 02/07/2018 at 08:51, Iceaxecrampon said:

Thanks for that.

Not interested in the science of it all  - just the irony of the extremes of the Metropolis of Glossop in 2018.

The issue isn't with the amount of water available, but the amount of water that's able to flow through the system and be cleaned, pipes can only flow so much so if demand outweighs the rate of flow you end up with a shortage even if the reservoirs are full

I personally think an outright ban on hose pipes is silly, they should really just restrict their use to off peak hours as it's their use during peak hours that is causing the issues

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Thought today was the best day of the recent hot spell,not too humid and a slight refreshing breeze has made it comfortable enough to sit out without having to seek shade every 10 minutes,garden thermometer still registering 27.6 c though

Posted

24-26c pleasant morning/afternoon gusty wind has dropped from this morning... log store made and in place and three large tree trunks chainsawed and stacked... time for a cold cider... 

Posted

A fire has ignited in the Upper Goyt Valley today and at this time there's some 4x engines in attendance. The smoke is visible on the Cat & Fiddle webcam with reports of the smoke being seen as far away as Macclesfield. I could see it from taking a short walk on the local hill but the sirens were already blaring by the time i'd gotten through to the fire control center on the phone. 

http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted
24 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

A fire has ignited in the Upper Goyt Valley today and at this time there's some 4x engines in attendance. The smoke is visible on the Cat & Fiddle webcam with reports of the smoke being seen as far away as Macclesfield. I could see it from taking a short walk on the local hill but the sirens were already blaring by the time i'd gotten through to the fire control center on the phone. 

http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/

Not surprising I guess it’s so so dry about.... hope we eventually get some heavy rain.... loving the warmth and sun but could do with so,e heavy downpours without lightening.... 

Posted

Not sure the last day we had rain, I think possibly the 20th or 21st at the very latest, so come Friday at least 2 weeks, we had a 2 week dry spell in May as well. Indeed lost count of the number of dry days since April. Also what has been exceptional is the lack of cloud these past 2 months, so many days with wall to wall sunshine, sunshine levels must be at a near record I would think.

Another starry cloudless sky tonight.

The next three days though look like delivering a much higher chance of cloud, and a very outside chance of some drizzle later Thursday into Friday from a dying weak cold front - I don't expect anything, then its back to dry, sunshine again and increasing warmth. We've also had 9 days with maxima above 25 degrees, which is a rare achievement for here, we might just break the cycle on Thurs and Friday, maxima of 22-23 degrees possibly, but then above 25 degrees again come Saturday and into next week.

It will break eventually, and once it does, it would be an exceptionally tall order to see a similar spell of weather again resurface. Can't beat May, June and July overall, by August there is an inevitably about things that summer is waning, not least due to rapid light loss, and probabilities of sustained settled weather drop markedly in these parts. Similiar synoptics today in 6 weeks time would have us staring at a dark sky since 9pm. alas its preety twilight still here.

Edited by damianslaw

22 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Not sure the last day we had rain, I think possibly the 20th or 21st at the very latest, so come Friday at least 2 weeks, we had a 2 week dry spell in May as well. Indeed lost count of the number of dry days since April. Also what has been exceptional is the lack of cloud these past 2 months, so many days with wall to wall sunshine, sunshine levels must be at a near record I would think.

Another starry cloudless sky tonight.

The next three days though look like delivering a much higher chance of cloud, and a very outside chance of some drizzle later Thursday into Friday from a dying weak cold front - I don't expect anything, then its back to dry, sunshine again and increasing warmth. We've also had 9 days with maxima above 25 degrees, which is a rare achievement for here, we might just break the cycle on Thurs and Friday, maxima of 22-23 degrees possibly, but then above 25 degrees again come Saturday and into next week.

It will break eventually, and once it does, it would be an exceptionally tall order to see a similar spell of weather again resurface. Can't beat May, June and July overall, by August there is an inevitably about things that summer is waning, not least due to rapid light loss, and probabilities of sustained settled weather drop markedly in these parts. Similiar synoptics today in 6 weeks time would have us staring at a dark sky since 9pm. alas its preety twilight still here.

I think the last rain for you was the humid thundery spell about 16 days ago , coniston certainly had some showers though ulverston has been dry for 24 days now

Edited by Mokidugway

Posted

Much fresher in Manchester this morning, which feels lovely.

Posted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44713651

Saddleworth Moor now being treated as arson, what is wrong with some folk? Hope they get the book thrown at them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Just now, Deep Snow please said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44713651

Saddleworth Moor now being treated as arson, what is wrong with some folk? Hope they get the book thrown at them!

I'd singe them with a flame thrower. Obviously not near any combustible material.

I can see the smoke billowing again in the distance.