Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted

Oh damn here we go. United Utilities calling for people to reduce the amount of water they're using or they could introduce a hosepipe ban. 

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/16325066.united-utilities-urges-people-to-help-avoid-hosepipe-ban/

Assume an awful lot of water is being used to fight those fires which won't be helping. Guess we'll get a ban either tomorrow or Monday. About time it rained.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Deep Snow please said:

About time it rained.

I've been saying that for a while...people will only change their tune when it has got that bad we're having to use public standpipes and it starts to inconvenience them.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I've been saying that for a while...people will only change their tune when it has got that bad we're having to use public standpipes and it starts to inconvenience them.

Considering how much rain we've had over the last few years and summers at that, two months of dry weather and panic buttons are already been pressed. 

That's all it has been...... two months. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
55 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Considering how much rain we've had over the last few years and summers at that, two months of dry weather and panic buttons are already been pressed. 

Yes, but it's not us which are pushing the panic buttons. It's the water companies...water companies who are already on about potentially introducing hosepipe bans. TBH I'm not sure how they can demand the rates they do, then have the cheek to say things like this when their system is so wasteful.

I'm sure if everyone refused to pay their water bills until it was sorted, they'd soon go out of their way to make things 'right' where water transport efficiency is concerned.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Apparently it's not a lack of water that's the issue as there's plenty of reservoirs around here still 3/4 full, it's the demand at a few peak times during the day where water-treatment works are already struggling to provide the freshwater output to the public. The ban is to ensure that demand is limited so other services such as tap-water can still be provided.

Away from that..the Moon and Mars are in close proximity tonight with Mars it's closest to Earth in 15 years. One positive thing about this spell of weather is that there's been some good opportunity for late-night skywatching.

Posted
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, but it's not us which are pushing the panic buttons. It's the water companies...water companies who are already on about potentially introducing hosepipe bans. TBH I'm not sure how they can demand the rates they do, then have the cheek to say things like this when their system is so wasteful.

I'm sure if everyone refused to pay their water bills until it was sorted, they'd soon go out of their way to make things 'right' where water transport efficiency is concerned.

I bet the debt recovery companies would be rubbing their hands with glee if people did that. Water shouldn't be owned by a private company but that's another debate.

Although I do find it hard to motivate myself to cut back my water usage when they can't even fix up months long leaks going by the twitter feed. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

That tells you how tight our water supply actually is.  We are used to thinking we don't have to worry about water, since we have the rain, the reservoirs, the ground water to draw on.  But we forget how much water we use regularly, more and more every year.  It seems we are only just staying ahead of demand, even when it rains every week.

Posted

24c here and not even midday...I think we'll blast through the always laughable app forecasts of 26c .. and some places could top 30+

Posted

Can see the faintest outline of smoke from the Winter Hill fire here on the coast, surprised there's not been any fires on the sand dunes or Pine Woods as it's all so dry.

Potential fire hazards and drought aside though I've enjoyed this hot spell due to the lack of humidity, it's been perfect summer weather, the only thing that's missing is a good storm

Posted
7 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

Although I do find it hard to motivate myself to cut back my water usage when they can't even fix up months long leaks going by the twitter feed. 

Had anyone reported it? There was a leak from a neighbour's supply pipe (outside their property). After I reported it, it was inspected in a couple of days and fixed within a week.

Another boiling midday here, even with the veil of high cirrus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
15 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

29c humidity a lot higher today really feeling it... Pimms o’clock 

Just watched the duck race in Manor park. Very little flow so the ducks had to be manually steered down to the finish line

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Just watched the duck race in Manor park. Very little flow so the ducks had to be manually steered down to the finish line

Haha not surprised...no rain for two weeks now?  been listening to the music from manor park yesterday/today.... can you lend them a cd of some different tunes hehe  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Way more cloud around today than forecast. But it’s just hazy stuff. And the temperature has AGAIN, topped 30C today. 5 days out of six. Phenomenal. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

29c humidity a lot higher today really feeling it... Pimms o’clock 

day early Will! mine for next 2 weeks, 

Posted
7 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Still 25c humid..... possible hosepipe ban tomorrow:.. had text message from United Utilities....

Same here. I think it's inevitable. They'll drop the water pressure to slow down usage and leaks

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I'm off grid so laughing

I hope your spring/ borehole is drought proof.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

But I still have to pay utility for run off ,cahoonas well grabbed

Indeed