IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

First thunderstorm of the year. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Just the one rumble of thunder here, but torrential rain for the past 10 minutes and just what the garden needs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Well today was fairly unpleasant until about 2:30 when it dried up and got out a bit. Then a couple of heavy showers early evening. Needed the rain though to be fair.

Posted

Been a long time since we've had a predominantly overcast rather wet weekend. Good though for the gardens and rivers and reservoirs, things were drying up markedly until recently. Today has brought a few showers and more persistant light rain/drizzle is forecast. It has also been distinctly cool, last night notably so. Alas it looks a rather temporary affair, the week ahead is forecast to improve, becoming drier and warm by middle of the week. 

Late June/early July always feels superb when under sunny warm dry skies....such conditions are at there maximum effect in the upcoming time of year just ahead of ourselves - its generally the most 'positive' time of year when people are at there 'happiest' - whatever that is!

Posted

I was starting to forget what that cool westerly air felt like after 5-6 weeks of a predominantly dry & warm continental feed.  I've not had to put the central heating on but have slipped a jumper on for the first time this spring.  A cracking spring it had been.

Posted

Horrendous 3 or 4 days of wind and now drizzle here.

Precisely why i hate any winds from the west!

Even tomorrow and tues now look cloud fest after looking promising a few days ago, westerlies in summer or winter suck.

7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Even tomorrow and tues now look cloud fest after looking promising a few days ago, westerlies in summer or winter suck.

Already had a bout of drizzle , I mean what's the point of it .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

It's not been a washout though, far from it. We've been totally spoiled lately with prolonged sun and warmth, this is the UK afterall and a bit of drizzle is expected, even in 76 and 95 we had the odd day of cloud and rain. The grass is like straw where the sun caught it recently. Anyway the end of the month still looks good for a return to HP. Doesn't look like any prolonged Atlantic weather on the way. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Muggy damp drizzly weather. The moss and green slime will make an appearance soon.

Posted
3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes westerlies whatever the time of year, tend to bring the same homegenous conditions - a mild and dank theme. Indeed temps in high summer often a only a few degrees higher (high teens maxima), than depths of winter (high single digit figures, but often low double digit figures 9-12 degree range - more so if a SW drift). An airstream between NW and SW is the prevailing UK one, more so in the NW, recent weeks have been an anomaly in this respect, but conversely we are most likely to see northerly and easterly airstreams between April and early June than any other time of year - so not that abnormal in this sense.

Normal service perhaps resumed then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

Have to say I've enjoyed this week. A welcome reprieve from that vile May I had to suffer through.

ECM going for round 2 though pretty soon. heat and drought in July if it verifies. Christ help the NHS if its anything like 5 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Have to say I've enjoyed this week. A welcome reprieve from that vile May I had to suffer through.

ECM going for round 2 though pretty soon. heat and drought in July if it verifies. Christ help the NHS if its anything like 5 years ago.

I enjoy your eternal optimism regarding our weather and regardless of the  the model output,keep up the good work iceman

Edited by Mokidugway

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

It looks a north-south divide to me, draw a line from Cheshire to Humber, south of it, very good, north of it - very average. Cumbria alot worse though than rest of NW , another line from Morecambe Bay to Northumberland - the bit inbetween the transition zone.

3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

It looks a north-south divide to me, draw a line from Cheshire to Humber, south of it, very good, north of it - very average. Cumbria alot worse though than rest of NW , another line from Morecambe Bay to Northumberland - the bit inbetween the transition zone.

What's new there then ,I've seen Cheshire at 27 c and then on to ulverston at 19 c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

south of humber very good? Just where I fall into then...

Not sure about your analysis on the MAD thread though. The ECM would certainly be a lock-in pattern. A high slapped right over the UK sealing everything off, so no reprieves

Edited by Ice Man 85

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

What's new there then ,I've seen Cheshire at 27 c and then on to ulverston at 19 c 

liverpool is usually the boundary line. north of it can get away with the worst, south of it will suffer. The ECM though has that boundary much further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Typical NW/SE split going on today with the London area mid to high 20s and sunshine whilst the further North & West you go the cooler and cloudier it is. 

Posted

Dark times ahead I fear if the current outputs verify. Dark, dark times.