Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
8 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well it's only 15C outside but in the strong May sun it feels a good deal warmer than that. Not a bad Sunday afternoon. 

It always feels warmer than that in the sun. Its why I don't like seeing higher than high teens being forecast. You can always add 2 or 3 degrees to that in terms of how it feels, hence the weather we got last weekend was borderline for me. 24c in that sun is more like 27c

• Like 1

Posted

Today confirms reason why I rate May over any other month in terms of superb feeling.. yes temps only maxed out around 14-15 degrees, something we often see in October even, but when combined with almost wall to wall blue skies and only the lightest and refreshing of breezes - well you can't get much better in my book. The air has a slight chill to it, but unlike mid summer it is devoid of any haze, and therefore the views are crystal clear - this is par excellence conditions for hill walking in the Lakes. A cool comfortable night for sleeping as well. Tomorrow should bring similiar conditions but will be a bit warmer.

The weekend has been very good in that we had heavy rain Friday night and also last night, but daylight periods have been dry.. perfect growing weather.

Its days like to day I year for in the depths of a dreary dank winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

Absolutely beautiful day today. The fresh breeze makes all the difference. So much better when everyone can enjoy the conditions and not just those that like it akin to a turkish bath.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Looks like another fine day here with warm sunshine on offer!  In fact this week is going to be quite nice and warm. At this weekend warmer still.

Posted

Pleasant conditions on the way out. Weekend looks like a transitional period to the easterly from hell. I wouldn't rule out high 20s at this rate. Nothing enjoyable about that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
26 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Pleasant conditions on the way out. Weekend looks like a transitional period to the easterly from hell. I wouldn't rule out high 20s at this rate. Nothing enjoyable about that.

Been a great few days here and hopefully more to come, we've had 4 BBQ 's already this year ,that's more than the whole of last year.

,On the subject of the Scandi high and the easterly the temps in parts of Sweden are unbelievable and the outlook is great,my best mate sent me photo's of lake swimming today,they live about 30 miles NE of Gothenburg. Hope it continues throughout the summer as we're there at the end of July

Edited by Spurry

Posted
27 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Trolling me now, Gavin? Very sad indeed.

Posted
2 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Looking forward to upcoming super hot titanium melting rock cracking spell ,sorry iceman 

The outlook in terms of temps looks average at best, indeed cooler than average over next 2 days, then average or a little above by the weekend, but with cool night, and stubborn cloud might suppress them. The models are showing heights ridging quite far to the north, we are not tapping into a long drawn heat source, its coming from NW Russia and Scandi - low 20's realistically highest we can expect, but very good all the same - optimum temps in my book, not a fan when it goes above 25 degrees - but it rarely does in Cumbria anyway!

Posted
17 hours ago, damianslaw said:

The outlook in terms of temps looks average at best, indeed cooler than average over next 2 days, then average or a little above by the weekend, but with cool night, and stubborn cloud might suppress them. The models are showing heights ridging quite far to the north, we are not tapping into a long drawn heat source, its coming from NW Russia and Scandi - low 20's realistically highest we can expect, but very good all the same - optimum temps in my book, not a fan when it goes above 25 degrees - but it rarely does in Cumbria anyway!

You're lucky to be far too north to get the worst of what I fear is on the way.

18 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I was taking the Tut out of the upcoming spell though pleasant weather is welcome

Posted

I'll happily take a prolonged spell of sunshine and dry weather any day, even if temperatures aren't particularly scorching.

Just hoping we don't pay for it in July/August like we usually seem to do.

Posted

Chilly overnight, MAN recorded just 1C at 0400. It warmed up fast though, up to 10C by 0800.

Posted

A continental influence looking increasingly likely now. What could have been nice will now be spoiled by hot and humid crap. Always happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Well that’s it, all packed and ready for Manchester Airport in the morning and a sneaky weeks holiday in Turkey.

just hope it’s a wedding free zone in terminal 1 but not expecting to be that lucky.

Posted

Excellent conditions in the Lake District at present for fell walking, lots more to come - always say to people best time for fell walking in the Lakes is April-May and September, and the worst - August! May, June and July are the summer months in the Lake District, always have been. August marks the start of the six month wet season. February the start of the drier half of the year, indeed there are four seasons in the Lakes:

Feb-May the drier most settled period thanks to a greater likelihood of northerly, easterly and anticyclonic conditions

June-July the warm but often unsettled season thanks to alternations between moist westerly/south westerly airstreams and occasional anticyclonic or azores high ridge influences with associated southerlies or direct heights overhead

August - January - the wet season thanks to the predominant dreaded SW airstream, except September which is a season in itself - often settled and probably the most pleasant of all the seasons, thanks to a becalming of the atlantic and more chance of anticyclonic conditions

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

Any chance of thunder in NW this week , I am so thunderstorm starved its making me depressed,  a good storm is like a dose of prozac, 

Probability of storms in Wigan   0.0000 %

Edited by IanR

6 minutes ago, IanR said:

Any chance of thunder in NW this week , I am so thunderstorm starved its making me depressed,  a good storm is like a dose of prozac, 

Probability of storms in Wigan   0.0000 %

That's exactly what you'll get this week .....

Posted
3 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

Anyone else getting a bit fed up of this constant "nice" weather.

It's not windy enough. 

No - because it is the best time of year to see such synoptics in my view. Much rather have these conditions now than in late July-September, lowering light levels, increased humidity, hazier skies, uncomfortable temps for sleeping and doing outside stuff, general feeling summer is fading..

This is the best time of year - and to have such synoptics is excellent, temps around 20 degrees - ideal. It won't last - so best enjoy it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

It is being a nice weekend. Next week from tommorow going to be even warmer!

Yesterday I been to Wetherspoons in Chorley with my friend. I had a Drive-Thru burger. It was nice then I went to the party in garden had some bbq hotdogs and bbq pork chops. Today I been sunbathing!!

My next day off is on Wednesday and Thursday hopefully it will be a lovely few days with wall to wall sunshine!

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

No - because it is the best time of year to see such synoptics in my view. Much rather have these conditions now than in late July-September, lowering light levels, increased humidity, hazier skies, uncomfortable temps for sleeping and doing outside stuff, general feeling summer is fading..

This is the best time of year - and to have such synoptics is excellent, temps around 20 degrees - ideal. It won't last - so best enjoy it.

Call me miserable but I hope it doesn't last. I need a bit of rain, and a decent breeze in my weather to stay sane. That said I view 15C as too warm, so I should probably move to the highlands...

Posted

Today could see quite a strong convergence zone lining up on the Pennines, with them drifting slowly westwards, this won’t happen until late afternoon/evening if it does so.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Clouds already bubbling up here readily and shown well on sat24 as a developing line down the Southern Pennines, into the Midlands. Is this the convergence zone mentioned above?

Edited by Dexter