Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
5 minutes ago, Dexter said:

To be fair, you were only a whisker away from the amber warning area but you were inside the yellow. I thought the metoffice warnings were fairly accurate to be honest, especially if the wording was read carefully.

The problem is that the warnings are based on probability of impacts and although I can understand it not being extended during the dry afternoon yesterday, the snow set in here at about 6pm and it’s been pretty well constant blizzard conditions since. 

It’s the failure to not react and extend as conditions deteriorated overnight that I don’t understand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
13 minutes ago, iand61 said:

The problem is that the warnings are based on probability of impacts and although I can understand it not being extended during the dry afternoon yesterday, the snow set in here at about 6pm and it’s been pretty well constant blizzard conditions since. 

It’s the failure to not react and extend as conditions deteriorated overnight that I don’t understand.

Yeah, I will agree with that last bit to an extent. The amber area could maybe have been extended a little yesterday evening. They need to react more to events on the ground perhaps. Maybe they just think you folk up there are hardy and used to these conditions....lol! The warning areas weren't that far off though to be fair.

Edited by Dexter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Yeah, I will agree with that last bit to an extent. The amber area could maybe have been extended a little yesterday  evening. They need to react more to events on the ground more perhaps. Maybe they just think you folk up there are hardy and used to these conditions....lol! The warning areas weren't that far off though to be fair.

Except on Merseyside when they are very rarely right, and then when snow did arrive (last week) there was no warning. Pretty crap if you ask me.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Yeah, I will agree with that last bit to an extent. The amber area could maybe have been extended a little yesterday evening. They need to react more to events on the ground perhaps. Maybe they just think you folk up there are hardy and used to these conditions....lol! The warning areas weren't that far off though to be fair.

Very difficult isn’t it. Last time none of the areas that got the most severe snow in this region were under an amber inc. Buxton! At least this time East Cheshire was included in an amber and rightly so. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Erm...

Still horizontal blizzards here!

I’d love to see a vertical blizzard! ?

Posted

Few flakes falling,just a dusting on the grass,was probably more on the ground when I went to bed last night

Posted
29 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

9460BF52-AB8D-4C28-9A08-C2BAAD7D6E68.thumb.jpeg.d4cec241606728ede5ef6ce3b3d35773.jpeg

amazing the difference between Bacup and Chorley. 

Prob got about 3-4cm bacup 6inch ?

it just fizzles out in that last 5miles over Belmont

The extra elevation and hilly location is great in snow events. The flip side more rain, drizzle, mist, wind, cooler etc the rest of the year. The difference between say Gtr Man, Rammy at 150m and the Bacup at 300m is amazing. Not sure a few extra snow events would be worth a year’s worse weather. Even here there are many dank days when I can literally see brighter skies just to the south west.

Posted
1 minute ago, Wardlegacy said:

Very difficult isn’t it. Last time none of the areas that got the most severe snow in this region were under an amber inc. Buxton! At least this time East Cheshire was included in an amber and rightly so. 

Yes, not simple. The problem is, the metoffice can never win, damned if they do, damned if they don't. They could help themselves by being more reactionary to events on the ground perhaps, but in this particular event, they were not that far off with the warnings.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Yes, not simple. The problem is, the metoffice can never win, damned if they do, damned if they don't. They could help themselves by being more reactionary to events on the ground perhaps, but in this particular event, they were not that far off with the warnings.

I think there main focus is getting the warnings right for the main population centres - Man, Liv, Leeds etc. I think missing the extent of the evap cooling event into Merseyside will be of more concern to them than getting the Amount/ distribution of events in Pennine areas slightly wrong.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Maz said:

I think there main focus is getting the warnings right for the main population centres - Man, Liv, Leeds etc. I think missing the extent of the evap cooling event into Merseyside will be of more concern to them than getting the Amount/ distribution of events in Pennine areas slightly wrong.

Yes, spot on. All about risk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Pretty much like elsewhere in the local area.. a dusting pretty much

Posted
21 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Except on Merseyside when they are very rarely right, and then when snow did arrive (last week) there was no warning. Pretty crap if you ask me.

But it's not like other weather agencies get it spot on, is it not that the science isn't advanced enough rather than the met office being crap? Although I agree they are sometimes slow to alter warnings.

Posted
6 minutes ago, chris78 said:

But it's not like other weather agencies get it spot on, is it not that the science isn't advanced enough rather than the met office being crap? Although I agree they are sometimes slow to alter warnings.

They often miss the impact that the severe weather will have on Pennines regions. Without a weather warning people come out sightseeing! 

Anyway, the local police have just tweeted about the difficult road condions 

IMPASSABLE
A6 Disley to New Mills
Styal Road, Styal
Roe Street Macc
Jordangate Macc

VERY DIFFICULT
A34 Wilmslow
London Road Alderley Edge
B5087 Alderley Edge to Macc
A536 Macc to Congleton
A523  Poynton
Chester Road Poynton
A523 Bosley to Leek
B5470 Macc to Kettleshulme

some of these roads are now blocked and many are low level routes that have not have not seen a snow plough since 1963!

• Like 2

Posted

Completey  snowed in here trying to get to Macclesfield to see my grandchild born last night....... No chance.!!!

Posted
4 minutes ago, C11ady said:

Completey  snowed in here trying to get to Macclesfield to see my grandchild born last night....... No chance.!!!

Walk - it's only 10 miles*. Oh and congratulations to you and your child.

(*I'm joking btw don't do that)

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & storms. Or very hot. None of this raining when it's sunny rubbish

Got a dusting here, had an epic 6 hour journey home last night though, no visibility in places in Lincoln and dreadful conditions on 62. 

6B70F0B9-232F-4272-9D8A-C6B5FE76DCB3.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Buried here! have more snow than the last beast. 

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, C11ady said:

Congratulations on the grandchild.  Sorry you missed the big moment because of this filthy weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Manchester has about 4 or so inches this morning, 6 in some parts. Not bad for the city, and certainly more than the kast easterley!

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Still snowing lightly here. The sun poked through half an hour ago and made light work of decimating snow cover on one side of the street. Still some drifts several inches deep on the opposite side! Been another fabulous event. Wouldn't say no to one last hurrah before spring/summer kicks in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A few local shots but then the cavalry arrived.

C64AEE01-AF79-4004-93DD-A1B2626B47B5.jpeg

DF55D5AF-6294-42D7-810F-C7C866111431.jpeg

2B0EC092-86B5-4440-8319-9266F979C921.jpeg

FCCB6ADA-078A-472D-A98C-5575EF61F54E.jpeg

• Like 3