Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.
5 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Looks about the same on latest EURO4. Which model are you referring to please?

Generaly to me appears a shift south favoring places south of Manchester has occured

Posted
2 minutes ago, KasimWx said:

Generaly to me appears a shift south favoring places south of Manchester has occured

agreed.

Looks poor for those north of manchester looking at the radar.

for my location i need the winds to be more easterly, the N element is destroying any hopes of decent snowcover (or at this rate any snowcover).

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
2 minutes ago, KasimWx said:

I presume you are basing this on the current radar? Not sure whether this will be relevant to later this afternoon and overnight but we'll see. Models certainly aren't showing any notable shift yet. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Just about scraping the northern tip of the wintry showers.  Blizzard Just now but only sticking on grassy areas

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Today:

Very windy and feeling bitterly cold with snow showers feeding in the from the east, some of these heavy. The strongest winds will be to the west of the high ground. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Tonight:

Staying windy overnight with snow showers continuing to pile in the from the east. Lying snow and ice likely to cause some impacts. Minimum temperature -6 °C.

Thanks

Posted

We have seen the radar explode into life from nothing several times in the past so I am certainly not calling this a bust before mid evening at least unless updated models/forecasts suggest otherwise.

Edited by Dexter

Posted

-2.8'c in Buxton at close to 1pm, i've just woken up after having a near-sleepless night thanks to the easterly wind rattling the house and the RADAR is looking nice with the rash of showers for all afternoon.

Posted

Frequent showers here, some of them are heavy. They don't last more than 5 minutes each, though, and the sun melts any accumulations in between. Temp is just above freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Today's yellow warning which hasn't updated yet:

Between 00:05 Sat 17th and 23:55 Sat 17th

A band of rain will turn more widely to snow early Saturday morning followed by scattered snow showers through the remainder of the day. These showers may become more prolonged, particularly during the evening. Any melting of lying snow will lead to an ice risk on untreated surfaces on Saturday morning and night. Travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel is possible. Some rural communities could become cut off and power cuts may occur. Some injuries from slips and falls are possible on icy surfaces. This warning has been updated to extend the area further west across central England and just into northeast Wales. Please also see the embedded Amber warnings for those areas considered most at risk from disruption.

My reading would be snow showers set to gradually increase through the day merging together and becoming more prolonged and heavy by the evening.

Sunday's yellow warning which has been updated today.

Snow showers are likely to continue throughout Sunday, with an increased chance that longer spells of snow will affect some areas. Southern and eastern regions look most vulnerable overnight and early on Sunday and then southwestern areas of England and south Wales into the daytime. Separate Amber warnings are in force for those areas most likely to see disruption. Any heavier snow will become largely confined to southwest England through the day. There is a chance of travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel. Damage to trees or other structures increases the chance that power cuts could occur, especially over southern and southwestern parts of England. There is a small chance that some rural communities could become cut off. Icy surfaces increase the risk of accidents and injuries. Significant wind chill and drifting will be added factors, especially over hills.

I'm certainly giving it time, I would much rather snow showers increase and get going properly when the sun is on it's way down in mid-March than the other way around.

• Like 2

Posted

Amber warning also remains unchanged. This doesn't start until 16:00. All still looks good in my opinion. Are we starting to see showers plugging the gap in the Hull area?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Amber warning also remains unchanged. This doesn't start until 16:00. All still looks good in my opinion. Are we starting to see showers plugging the gap in the Hull area?

Yes, I have ran the frames back bit by bit and the gap is ever so slowly filling :good:

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely  hammering it down here being blown all over the place in this gusty wind. Always impressive to see snow settling at this time of the day this late in the season.

Just need these gaps in the showers to close up, the sun makes quick work on what has settled. Showers definitely looking beefier on the radar now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Met O have me down for 11 hours of heavy snow from 5pm but unless there’s a major change in position and direction of the shower bands I can’t see where it’s going to come from.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

BOOM Blizzard everything turning white

C.S:yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Manchester and Liverpool TAF now show a 40 per cent probability of snow from mid afternoon to tomorrow morning that is the highest probability that airport TAFS use and are very rarely issued Manchester airport remains on level 3 winter alert for snow and ice for the next 24hr period.As posted above not really meant to get going until mid afternoon onwards so no worries on my part.And if it does not go to plan so what it the weather and there nothing we can do about it apart from moan like hell

C.S

Surely TEMPO is a higher probability than PROB40? 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Yep a trough is gonna come through

Maybe there’s more hope for me then. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Ruddy hell

Whiteout

C.S

• Like 3

Posted

Currently temp 2.1 DP -5.5. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Been snowing here for the last 20 minutes or so very heavy at the moment and the wind is blowing the flakes all over the shop. Oh how fun to watch at least i'm not out in it :rofl: Hope you guys all share in the fun this afternoon :D

Edited by Summerstorm

Posted
14 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Ruddy hell

Whiteout

C.S

Are you at home mate? Looks like you are in the best spot for once so good luck to you as I think you've been in the worst spot all Winter. :good:

• Thanks 1