Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Yes weather warning updated

Most of the region under yellow warning however Cheshire East has got an Amber warning for snow

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
7 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Most of the region under yellow warning however Cheshire East has got an Amber warning for snow

C.S

Greater Manchester also under Amber warning for snow tomorrow 

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I'd be more looking forward to this event if we hadn't had so much rain that the fields are flooded and roads awash. Last time I checked snow doesn't settle on water. 

What a waste!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Looks like a rinse and repeat of two weeks ago with snow showers merging later tomorrow and overnight into Sunday. Hopefully the showers can make it right across the whole region. Looks like being fantastic atm.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

I'd be more looking forward to this event if we hadn't had so much rain that the fields are flooded and roads awash. Last time I checked snow doesn't settle on water. 

What a waste!

Errr, it does if it is cold enough.....

Granted, snow won't settle on lakes etc, obviously, but this isn't true of other wet surfaces, including puddles, if temps are conducive.

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 1

Posted

Things are looking so good! I am over the moon! This easterly has upgraded as we approach the event!

Euro 4 is looking amazing with the streamers from Lincolnshire and Yorkshire extending over our region!

I have to say though, I am pleasantly surprised to see Amber warnings issued in the UK so late in the season.:yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Errr, it does if it is cold enough.....

Granted, snow won't settle on lakes etc, obviously, but this isn't true of other wet surfaces, including puddles, if temps are conducive.

Can't see it this time.We have had a LOT of rain recently and with this morning's deluge on top of that - it doesn't look good.

You guys enjoy your snow...I'll be doing a spot of canoeing.

Posted

Warnings are out left, right and centre for tomorrow. Look to be more than the last cold spell!

Posted
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

Things are looking so good! I am over the moon! This easterly has upgraded as we approach the event!

Euro 4 is looking amazing with the streamers from Lincolnshire and Yorkshire extending over our region!

I have to say though, I am pleasantly surprised to see Amber warnings issued in the UK so late in the season.:yahoo:

It is amazing isn't it!? We normally expect downgrades but the last Easterly and this one have both upgraded for our region as the event has approached. I wouldn't take amber warning zone as gospel as this will depend where the streamers and bands set up and is not yet set in stone. Looks great atm though!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

It is amazing isn't it!? We normally expect downgrades but the last Easterly and this one have both upgraded for our region as the event has approached. I wouldn't take amber warning zone as gospel as this will depend where the streamers and bands set up and is not yet set in stone. Looks great atm though!

The upgrades are remarkable to see and I love the extension of winter!

I agree, the amber warning are great to see but we can't be sure where exactly the streamers will set in. Last time it was down to now casting and it will be the same this time.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

C.S

We needed this amber warning after the dreadful conditions last time when the met office only gave a yellow with the excuse that snow amounts could be quite localised.

Posted

There's a marked contrast between 6pm this evening with temps of 7'c and gusts of 15mph, and tomorrow morning's 6am forecast of -3'c with +40mph gusts and persistent snow showers. If I can get the camera set-up on the external battery i'm hoping to capture a 12hr timelapse of the snow building up facing west as the showers move through.

• Like 4

Posted

Updated euro 4 is looking even better! It has upgraded the streamers. In the last easterly the euro 4 was underdoing the precipitation amount so that's great news.

Aprege also looks like streamer heaven!

I just hope the snow is less powdery this time as last time what settled on my balcony would quickly blow away in the wind. Having said that any snow is a bonus this time of the year. 

• Like 4

Posted

Big upgrade on Manchester Airport TAF. Now going for snow from midnight through to 08:00 and then snow showers until 18:00 tomorrow at least. More upgrades please!! 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Big upgrade on Manchester Airport TAF. Now going for snow from midnight through to 08:00 and then snow showers until 18:00 tomorrow at least. More upgrades please!! 

You will already get a covering tonight from the frost moving west/southwest. I am not counting on that giving much to Manchester or places further west but the streamers that will set up during the day and continue during the nightime  should deliver nicely! :-)

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, karyo said:

Updated euro 4 is looking even better! It has upgraded the streamers. In the last easterly the euro 4 was underdoing the precipitation amount so that's great news.

Aprege also looks like streamer heaven!

I just hope the snow is less powdery this time as last time what settled on my balcony would quickly blow away in the wind. Having said that any snow is a bonus this time of the year. 

Great stuff, will check the 6z high res models now.

Posted
19 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

There's a marked contrast between 6pm this evening with temps of 7'c and gusts of 15mph, and tomorrow morning's 6am forecast of -3'c with +40mph gusts and persistent snow showers. If I can get the camera set-up on the external battery i'm hoping to capture a 12hr timelapse of the snow building up facing west as the showers move through.

That is a pretty stark and exciting difference. I remember an old BBC weather documentary when I was little and I think it was Michael Fish who said his favourite type of weather is a strong cold front when it starts off as mild rain and "you then wake up with 6 inches of 'partly cloudy' on your lawn". Always remembered that quote.

Posted

Im travelling to Manchester from 1pm to 8pm tomorrow for drinks and food, so the journey home might be interesting on the train ?

Edited by Darren Bown
  • Like 2

Posted

:D I meant to say facing East for the camera timelapse but it all depends on what the conditions are like, if there's persistent low-cloud throughout the day then i'll do a lock-off timelapse facing the garden which is west, instead. But then again I might head down to Hayfield and catch a few snow-scenes from the bottom of Kinder. So many options to choose from with just a short weather-window before the likelihood of snow diminishes closer to the warmer months.

Posted
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

You will already get a covering tonight from the frost moving west/southwest. I am not counting on that giving much to Manchester or places further west but the streamers that will set up during the day and continue during the nightime  should deliver nicely! :-)

Tbh I am wondering how much will be left on the front where I am as well anyway as the forecast mentions 'weakening' but the more recent Airport forecast gives hope to all those around Manchester tonight. Time will tell..... just great to have all this potential over the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Tbh I am wondering how much will be left on the front where I am as well anyway as the forecast mentions 'weakening' but the more recent Airport forecast gives hope to all those around Manchester tonight. Time will tell..... just great to have all this potential over the weekend.

Even if there is not much energy left to it there are no worries, the main course follows once the front clears and the colder uppers move in. :D

• Like 1