Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I’m on first sferic Watch of the year this afternoon. Looks like a moderate chance of something kicking off nearby, especially with the flow direction. Let’s see. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Somehow I think my planned weekend hike up Kinder Scout isn't going ahead, not with Saturday's snow along with the forecast gusts of 40mph+ on the tops making it feel more close to -12'c.

Can you do a hike lower down? This way you can still observe the weather with more moderate conditions.

Posted
33 minutes ago, karyo said:

Can you do a hike lower down? This way you can still observe the weather with more moderate conditions.

It's possible as I can see Kinder, Bleaklow, and Brown Knoll taking just a few mins walk out from the door here at home. I was volunteering for the first 3-peaks district race which is now cancelled due to the conditions, not so much as a direct result of the weather itself as all the racers have full-winter gear but due to safety-team requirements in having to set-up checkpoints across the Woodhead and Snake pass. 

It's only a 15min journey from here to the bottom of Kinder Res by car, so if the roads aren't too busy I may take a impromptu visit to the lower part of William Clough.

Posted
1 minute ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

It's only a 15min journey from here to the bottom of Kinder Res by car, so if the roads aren't too busy I may take a impromptu visit to the lower part of William Clough.

It will be great to see the snow showers come through, occasionally blocking the hills from the view. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Looks like my only chance IMBY is Saturday morning if that front can hang around in the cold air a bit. Going by last time I don’t expect any showers to make it after that. I’ll be relying on another front/trough. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, karyo said:

Stunning ICON 12z! A small correction northwards for Saturday!

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/icone_cartes.php?&ech=51&mode=0&map=0&archive=0

We really dont want anymore corrections north now..at this rate all the action will be north of the border!!:crazy:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

We really dont want anymore corrections north now..at this rate all the action will be north of the border!!:crazy:

haha!

To think that a couple of days ago the easterly looked mainly benefiting the southeast! It looks like a fabulous weekend is on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
25 minutes ago, karyo said:

haha!

To think that a couple of days ago the easterly looked mainly benefiting the southeast! It looks like a fabulous weekend is on the way.

Why we not in the warning then? 

Posted
24 minutes ago, karyo said:

haha!

Weirdly it’s almost a carbon copy of what happened last time. All models pushed the cold south 4 days out and then corrected north again the day after. I keep getting déjà vu. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Weirdly it’s almost a carbon copy of what happened last time. All models pushed the cold south 4 days out and then corrected north again the day after. I keep getting déjà vu. 

Yes, a lot of similarities and it is very unusual. Normally, when the models start downgrading a cold spell they continue to do so but on this two instances.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

Yes, a lot of similarities and it is very unusual. Normally, when the models start downgrading a cold spell they continue to do so but on this two instances.

Has the gfs gone further north for saturday or is it the same?

Posted

Not a bad text forecast, especially for you Easterners. 

Friday:

It will be cloudy with outbreaks of showery rain at first; however it will turn colder through the day with rain turning to snow over the Pennines and Cumbrian Fells. Maximum temperature 8 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

The weekend will turn bitterly cold and windy with a mixture of sunshine and snow showers, these potentially disruptive over trans-Pennine routes. Snow and winds will ease by Monday.

Updated: 15:00 on Thu 15 Mar 2018 GMT

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, shaky said:

Has the gfs gone further north for saturday or is it the same?

I'd say it is about the same.

Absolutely awesome UKMO https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=0&ech=48&carte=1007 

Edited by karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
2 hours ago, Chris.R said:

I’m on first sferic Watch of the year this afternoon. Looks like a moderate chance of something kicking off nearby, especially with the flow direction. Let’s see. 

No sign of any sferics yet reckon it's a bit too early yet? not really looked very closely at the conditions/convective forecasts so my bad. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
18 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Updated ICON Is a thing of beauty for our region.

Yes short and sweet.

BUT

Cold and snowy

@Day 10 What do you think mate?

C.S

So the HIRLAM now coming into view, looks like it wants to bring a band of snow through our region early Saturday morning. One to watch.

hirlamuk-1-38-0.thumb.png.0c41245d1662ce249a6e6df7f0bd3b58.pnghirlamuk-1-40-0.thumb.png.f7b3d45cdf7a5fd3008b3c54ead1e874.pnghirlamuk-1-42-0.thumb.png.bb5fd1ff286e470b38e506891d69376d.pnghirlamuk-1-43-0.thumb.png.a8ecda8755b2dcd7f7da872d7ac2487b.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Looking forward to the weekend, should be some more decent snow on the way! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Thought we were in that spring to summer lull.. But I caught the excited chatter of a mini beast from the East set to blow through the region at the weekend.   I was rather spoilt by the big guy the other week, so will be happy with one last flurry before spring.

Ps does anyone know how to retrieve your email from your profile.  I've clean installed Windows on my desktop pc & forgot my email & password.  Admittedly it was over 15 yrs ago ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

JMA looks fantastic!

J54-21.GIF?15-12

J54-7.GIF?15-12

• Like 3

Posted

Think I would rather spring sprang than a short lived event it's like torture you wait ages to get snow then it sods off soon as the sun comes out got no backbone snow

• Thanks 1

Posted

Anybody got anything for the two bob bits 

not again second time since christmas ??

????