Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted

Grey skies and the odd sun appearance actually I was sweating this afternoon 

Posted
5 hours ago, gearbox100 said:

Is there a meteorological reason why snow struggles to reach us, where as now heavy rain is just a constant? 

I think in the main its down to the direction of the wind.  West of the M6 we really need a W element to the wind for any kind of decent snow, problem with this is when we get that the temps are usually higher and thats when we get the wintry mix rather than the snow. 

We will also miss out on the lows coming up from the south when they bump into the high pressure with the shadowing effect of the hills to the East, and the same hills eat up most of the precipitation in an E feed as happened last week. 

But i agree - we got plenty of rain yesterday afternoon up from the s/sw where previously the snow had failed to reach us. I can only assume its because the colder air was moving away making it easier for the rain/showers to progress more N rather than NW as it did friday of last week.  

Thats my uneducated thoughts ... someone will be able to add more i'm sure   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
9 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

In Spain?

Yes, the rain is not staying on the plain!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

I think in the main its down to the direction of the wind.  West of the M6 we really need a W element to the wind for any kind of decent snow, problem with this is when we get that the temps are usually higher and thats when we get the wintry mix rather than the snow. 

We will also miss out on the lows coming up from the south when they bump into the high pressure with the shadowing effect of the hills to the East, and the same hills eat up most of the precipitation in an E feed as happened last week. 

But i agree - we got plenty of rain yesterday afternoon up from the s/sw where previously the snow had failed to reach us. I can only assume its because the colder air was moving away making it easier for the rain/showers to progress more N rather than NW as it did friday of last week.  

Thats my uneducated thoughts ... someone will be able to add more i'm sure   

Your thoughts are spot on.

The west of the region needs a strong NW or WNW wind..the problem here is the modifying effect of the irish sea.

An easterly is not great for warrington etc as the showers have to make it over the peaks..whereas Oldham Rochdale etc isnt so badly affected as the pennines are quite 'thin' east of Oldham..liverpool etc can do ok in a northerly but thats usually useless for places inland

A true Greenland high can deliver a decent NW wind as we saw in Dec 2010 ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

8.2°C here, feels tropical, the wind is even warm. 

Posted

It actually rained today whilst I was out and it felt quite weird warm rain lol like after a hot sunny day 

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted

I know it was brutal for parts around here, but I'm kind of missing last week's 'Beasterly'.  I just hope in future winters it doesn't prove to be the exception and more of a rule.  We'll have to see.  In the meantime, it now feels positively balmy at 7c.  Just shows you how relative things appear after the extreme has come and gone.  7c in middle of summer would feel horrendously chilly, but now it feels warm.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 3

Posted

Think the sun has gone in for the day just noticed that my daffodils have come up through the bit of snow I have in my garden nice to see they have survived.

Also I was watching tv This Morning programme to be precise and there was this chap on who predicted the weather that we've just had back in August and he said round about 14/15 March we are going to have another beast from the East I'm not sure how accurate he will be this time but interested to see 

oh and buy the way it's gonna be raining on Mother's Day but then we already knew that didn't we :D

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

I know it was brutal for parts around here, but I'm kind of missing last week's 'Beasterly'.  I just hope in future winters it doesn't prove to be the exception and more of a rule.  We'll have to see.  In the meantime, it now feels positively balmy at 7c.  Just shows you how relative things appear after the extreme has come and gone.  7c in middle of summer would feel horrendously chilly, but now it feels warm.

Yes I know what you mean it feels tropical just one extreme to the other and that's why we never properly acclimatise to heat or cold 

one minute we are like "oh it's boiling can't do with many days of this needs to rain to clear the air "

the next we are like " it's freezing get that heating turned up I can't wait for Spring this is way too cold for me"

cant win lol

• Like 1

Posted

Had a quick hour's walk around here and although it's mild it's still odd seeing snow, icicles, and the local duck-pond still frozen over. Apparently the beeb is forecasting snow for the north tonight but personally I don't see it happening with the temps and cloudcover. Can't complain though as it's been good getting out the house after 5 days without worrying about the windchill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I'm going for a cold spell mid-month with one last snow chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Very mild out today ,almost tropical, rain now the kind that doesn't have a problem reaching west Cumbria  :nonono:

The Ox did her 5.30 weather on BBC Radio Manchester and mentioned rain for all but singled out parts of Cumbria for snow.

Posted
55 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

The Ox did her 5.30 weather on BBC Radio Manchester and mentioned rain for all but singled out parts of Cumbria for snow.

I'm sure ox has had a lip job

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
11 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Was in coniston yesterday en route to ullswater , some snow up there ,lol

aye, I drove up to Kirkcaldy and back today, some good snow formations next to North end of M6 and M74. There was even a Samworth Bros Truck in a field just South of Easglesfield!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
50 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

I'm sure ox has had a lip job

No she was just allergic to the snow

• Like 1

Posted

The weekend looks interesting  and beyond.  A mate of mine at Manch Airport tells me the planning for a real storm followed by a cold blast.  Maybe the pest frrom the west is putting in an appearance!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Not a very nice evening. 6°C and damp and horrible. 

YES! Get in palace; there’s one good thing this evening. 

Posted

I should’ve kept my mouth shut! ?????

Posted

Can hear the rain against the roof and window it's quite heavy now, should wash away some ice off the pavements for tomorrow with only a hint of sleet up on Kinder summit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

LOL

GFS18z Low Res says sod spring and puts us back into full winter and snow mode.

EC46 Also suggests no quick Entry into spring

I do think one more cold snap is Probable mid Month.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Raining most of the evening. We needed the rain here last week for snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
7 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

LOL

GFS18z Low Res says sod spring and puts us back into full winter and snow mode.

EC46 Also suggests no quick Entry into spring

I do think one more cold snap is Probable mid Month.

C.S

Perfect! I want the potential for cold and snow to continue for as long as possible to minimise the length of the interim period between wintry weather and the first thundery plume of spring/summer.

• Like 1