Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England regional thread 3 /3 onwards

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
6 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

Why can’t I edit posts anymore?! Luck of a good ending and no food involved!

I wondered what you were on about. Thought you were enjoying  your Saturday night a bit too much lol ????

There is an edit time limit nowadays, used to be 10 minutes, think it’s about  half an hour now. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looks like we might get a snow to rain event today. 7c forecast today. Positively tropical!

No snow overnight either.

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Quite misty here this morning. Some intense bursts of precipitation heading up from the Midlands. However, report of rain in Birmingham so I suspect this will likely be rain away from high ground as the milder air moves in. Been a great week here though.  

Edited by Dexter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Quite misty here this morning. Some intense bursts of precipitation heading up from the Midlands. However, report of rain in Birmingham so I suspect this will likely be rain away from high ground as the milder air moves in. Been a great week here though.  

yeah, thaw on way up, u may see early snow though

Posted

Hi all.  Had a day or so with minimal Net Weather as I needed a break as my frustration was off the scale, the current radar is the weather God Swearing AGAINing on our chips :rofl:

image.thumb.png.8f91ee7defff7e785cb589a875bd389e.png

The first belt to properly hit us with anything more than 30 mins of snizzle ( AND this actually has some bright colours on!) and it's the first one that is actually rain, you really couldn't make it up.  Speaking of  which I have been thinking about this spell and if I was to give it a headline it would be, "You Couldn't Make It Up..." as lost count the amount of time I said it... so, cons first...

The most frustrating part was not having snow fall (much) in this rare set up, I know how rare it is and I am sick of slushy, marginal snow that if it does stick soon melts, so I knew any that would fall would stick. I wanted to take my nephews sledging and build snowmen but no, every bit of snow that fell literally covered in a layer of white dust which soon blew away.  Why did the showers work all there way across to MCR yet me, directly south they just died before arriving? Why did the fronts, any of which would have given me enough to have some fun in, die literally as they arrived...three times?!! I would rather it not be forecast than be on the wrong side of the 'edge' every time. I didn't have ridiculous ideas of what would happen, I knew the east would get hit and the usual places but I just couldn't understand how showers made it all the way across in some areas and not over here? The wind direction constantly flicked between NE NEE, E, SEE etc so some flippin' showers should have made it across in the strong winds. I wanted to see snow properly drift locally, I wanted to see Crewe actually get a blizzard and a decent covering. It has had a lot bad times recently and I just felt a fall of snow would have lightened spirits a bit. So to end the negatives, frustration is the main feeling as to be so close, SO many times, to a decent and memorable fall of snow - and have it last days -  but have nothing major is so sad.

...that aside I cannot say I won't remember or take any good things from this spell. I saw some sights I have not seen since I was a child. Seeing proper powder snow fall AND stick in Crewe in the daytime was a sight to see (be it literally a coating of dust :rofl:). Seeing it blow across the school fields next to my college and being whipped about was amazing to see. The below picture was when the only batch of showers made it across, ignore the flash on the left of the pic (I didn't take it, haha, of all days I had left my phone at home so my colleague took it for me) but you can see the sun on the right. The photo doesn't do it justice but it was pouring down with the snow blowing in sheets everywhere, really a sight to see. The colour of the sky was amazing.

Image may contain: sky, bridge, outdoor and nature

I got to see Icicles, proper icicles, nothing I have seen since 2010. My house being on a hill did manage to squeeze a bit more precipitation from that crappy fronts so when the gales hit It did snizzle here and was something that I wouldn't forget. It was twilight when I got home and the wind was roaring and as it had just started the snow was blowing everywhere, be it there were small amounts, but it was blowing everywhere. I have never felt cold like it in the UK, no question. I walked to the shop fully wrapped up with gloves etc, by the time I got to the shop (2 mins away) my hands were numb and it actually worried me and it was just SO cold. The ground was frozen but dry, not seen that since i was a kid... the pic below is normally a muddy track but was frozen solid and looked dry.

5a9baa27c32f5_WhatsAppImage2018-03-01at20_50_40.thumb.jpeg.ecb74a469fd8971810272c1d1c70161a.jpeg

Even with the minimal cover drifts did form and again were amazing to see as not seen drifts locally since I was a child... this was from my hill, nothing like this in Crewe, the empty patch wasn't snow melt, just blown dry.

5a9baaab63417_WhatsAppImage2018-03-01at20_50.40(1).thumb.jpeg.dfb00567f6e139476baea63b5e937079.jpeg

Local ponds etc were frozen, which yeah I have seen in 2010 but was great to see.

I think for me, coming from a lowland snow free zone, I will take away some nice memories and visuals from this spell. Was it amazing for me? No, but I have memories of visuals not I had not seen since being a child. It's just sad that with one decent fall it could have easily made it so.

Going to put more pics/vids on my Instagram later today if everyone wants to get excited about my 2 inches...

www.instagram.com/Benjaminstubbs

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Gary R Betreen said:

Guess that is it now.   Look forward to spring and summer and see what that brings!

Plenty of time yet for more snow before summer. It is only the start of March!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
10 hours ago, Day 10 said:

I was going to ask you on that, what was he like for you? He has been truly awful so far along with Williams, glad he now misses 3 games. You are safe now :good:

Keane turned into a good solid player under Dyche and hardly put a foot wrong for us.

but the feeling amongst Burnley fans is that partnering Ben Mee made him better and going to another club would expose this. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Hello rain, nice of you to come back again. We‘ve missed you...not. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Plenty of time yet for more snow before summer. It is only the start of March!

That is kind of true if you were to look at the latest 00hrs GFS chart for 300hrs (16 March), but don't hold you're breath as this will not be there in 6 hrs time, plus it is March now so it will swing in roundabouts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Hello rain, nice of you to come back again. We‘ve missed you...not. 

Still pretty well frozen up here and a bit of snizzle overnight is stuck to the cars but i can see the gradual thaw and rain arriving today.

Posted

Snow overnight again (same as Friday night) - just another covering. Now misty and light drizzle, which turned into snow (little mini blizzard like), and now into light misty nothingness. Here's to being able to get off the hill later. We've had vans buried in drifts up here and cars were still getting stuck on Friday / Saturday. No boiler since early hours of Wednesday. I'm camped in front of the fire in the lounge and look like I've been to a 3 day festival :D 

Posted
Just now, DIS1970 said:

That is kind of true if you were to look at the latest 00hrs GFS chart for 300hrs (16 March), but don't hold you're breath as this will not be there in 6 hrs time, plus it is March now so it will swing in roundabouts.

Granted, snow less likely to stick around this time of year due to the increasing strength of the sun, but we could still get some decent falls all the way through to the end of March at least. Then we will start to welcome in the convective season so always plenty to look forward to.

Posted
Just now, iand61 said:

Still pretty well frozen up here and a bit of snizzle overnight is stuck to the cars but i can see the gradual thaw and rain arriving today.

Questionn is will there be anything left when I’m in Ramsbottom in 2 hours. Don’t really want to get soaked either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
14 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Might have walk up to the hill around Haslingden/Ramsbottom/Holcombe

Still decent snow ???

Edited by Spah1

Posted

you can see we have lost the SE  winds the precip is pushing up unhindered.

higher ground here might get a few hours of snow before the milder air takes over..

Im going to revise my score for the winter on the back of this last week to 8/10.

Posted

Is the M62 closed? GPS wants to take me on M6. 

Posted
44 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

Hi all.  Had a day or so with minimal Net Weather as I needed a break as my frustration was off the scale, the current radar is the weather God Swearing AGAINing on our chips :rofl:

image.thumb.png.8f91ee7defff7e785cb589a875bd389e.png

The first belt to properly hit us with anything more than 30 mins of snizzle ( AND this actually has some bright colours on!) and it's the first one that is actually rain, you really couldn't make it up.  Speaking of  which I have been thinking about this spell and if I was to give it a headline it would be, "You Couldn't Make It Up..." as lost count the amount of time I said it... so, cons first...

The most frustrating part was not having snow fall (much) in this rare set up, I know how rare it is and I am sick of slushy, marginal snow that if it does stick soon melts, so I knew any that would fall would stick. I wanted to take my nephews sledging and build snowmen but no, every bit of snow that fell literally covered in a layer of white dust which soon blew away.  Why did the showers work all there way across to MCR yet me, directly south they just died before arriving? Why did the fronts, any of which would have given me enough to have some fun in, die literally as they arrived...three times?!! I would rather it not be forecast than be on the wrong side of the 'edge' every time. I didn't have ridiculous ideas of what would happen, I knew the east would get hit and the usual places but I just couldn't understand how showers made it all the way across in some areas and not over here? The wind direction constantly flicked between NE NEE, E, SEE etc so some flippin' showers should have made it across in the strong winds. I wanted to see snow properly drift locally, I wanted to see Crewe actually get a blizzard and a decent covering. It has had a lot bad times recently and I just felt a fall of snow would have lightened spirits a bit. So to end the negatives, frustration is the main feeling as to be so close, SO many times, to a decent and memorable fall of snow - and have it last days -  but have nothing major is so sad.

...that aside I cannot say I won't remember or take any good things from this spell. I saw some sights I have not seen since I was a child. Seeing proper powder snow fall AND stick in Crewe in the daytime was a sight to see (be it literally a coating of dust :rofl:). Seeing it blow across the school fields next to my college and being whipped about was amazing to see. The below picture was when the only batch of showers made it across, ignore the flash on the left of the pic (I didn't take it, haha, of all days I had left my phone at home so my colleague took it for me) but you can see the sun on the right. The photo doesn't do it justice but it was pouring down with the snow blowing in sheets everywhere, really a sight to see. The colour of the sky was amazing.

Image may contain: sky, bridge, outdoor and nature

I got to see Icicles, proper icicles, nothing I have seen since 2010. My house being on a hill did manage to squeeze a bit more precipitation from that crappy fronts so when the gales hit It did snizzle here and was something that I wouldn't forget. It was twilight when I got home and the wind was roaring and as it had just started the snow was blowing everywhere, be it there were small amounts, but it was blowing everywhere. I have never felt cold like it in the UK, no question. I walked to the shop fully wrapped up with gloves etc, by the time I got to the shop (2 mins away) my hands were numb and it actually worried me and it was just SO cold. The ground was frozen but dry, not seen that since i was a kid... the pic below is normally a muddy track but was frozen solid and looked dry.

5a9baa27c32f5_WhatsAppImage2018-03-01at20_50_40.thumb.jpeg.ecb74a469fd8971810272c1d1c70161a.jpeg

Even with the minimal cover drifts did form and again were amazing to see as not seen drifts locally since I was a child... this was from my hill, nothing like this in Crewe, the empty patch wasn't snow melt, just blown dry.

5a9baaab63417_WhatsAppImage2018-03-01at20_50.40(1).thumb.jpeg.dfb00567f6e139476baea63b5e937079.jpeg

Local ponds etc were frozen, which yeah I have seen in 2010 but was great to see.

I think for me, coming from a lowland snow free zone, I will take away some nice memories and visuals from this spell. Was it amazing for me? No, but I have memories of visuals not I had not seen since being a child. It's just sad that with one decent fall it could have easily made it so.

Going to put more pics/vids on my Instagram later today if everyone wants to get excited about my 2 inches...

www.instagram.com/Benjaminstubbs

What i will say is you got more than here. ?

• Like 1