Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

5 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

no, you want real snow.

trust you!:laugh::good:

Quite bizarre to see both a convergence zone and front so close together over the se corner  on the T24 hours UKMO fax chart.

Normally the front cloud sheet inhibits convection. Could be some big snow totals and some parts might do better than the previous easterly.

a sizzling 2 degrees on Worthing pier.

too warm for snow at the moment! (No idea what the dew points are though)  

On the A3 heading towards Kingston. Persistent snow. Large ish flakes.Looking northeast clouds looking very heavy...

Gone back to fine snow again.

1 hour ago, Mark Neal. said:

Not looking promising for Oxford City trip to Welling today! 

Hello Mark,

I trust you are well. Good luck today. We are away at Truro. Six of our supporters have been walking in relays since last Saturday's away game at Hungerford to today's game at Truro. They are doing so for sponsorship to add funds to the supporter's club coffers as well as some of our local charities. Looking at the forecast for Cornwall it looks to be touch and go if they arrive before the bad weather catches up with them. After all their efforts I only hope the game is not called off.

As far as the weather here is concerned it is cloudy, but the snow has just stopped for a few minutes but it looks like it will start up again any minute. The grass, trees and roofs are all covered  in snow but the roads and pavements are mainly clear. An interesting day of weather watching ahead I am sure.

Kind regards

Dave

2 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

a sizzling 2 degrees on Worthing pier.

too warm for snow at the moment! (No idea what the dew points are though)  

According to the Meteociel site, looks around -1/0c, for you at the moment.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php

Regards,

Tom.

Around 1.5-2cm accumulation on the garden table now in Southend

A slight dusting, my kids have still not had enough snow this winter to go sledging 

Worth noting the convergence line shown on the 00z Sunday FAX chart is at the EXACT same angle as the Feb 09 streamer, through S.London,out into Surrey near Guildford then through Hampshire (broadly along with the amber warning, may need to be slightly 'fattened')

21 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Southend peeps what's it like down there? Gotta drop the folk to airport this morning

Had no snow here at 7 by 7.30 we've got a covering (Abridge)!!

Im in hockley and the roads and paths are ok everything else got a few centimetres on it

18 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Elevation makes a huge difference -  I used to live in Purley - bet it's settling there!

I'm in coulsdon and can confirm it's settling here

Just now, lewis clark said:

Im in hockley and the roads and paths are ok everything else got a few centimetres on it

Leaving in an hour finger I'd I get there n back ok and the flight isn't cancelled .... about an hour each way for me!!

12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Quite bizarre to see both a convergence zone and front so close together over the se corner  on the T24 hours UKMO fax chart.

Normally the front cloud sheet inhibits convection. Could be some big snow totals and some parts might do better than the previous easterly.

Was thinking this too!

Moderate snow in RP.

And yes, it's started to settle on cars (just the soft tops mind!)

12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Was thinking this too!

I think the main action will come later as the wave from the south engages with the trough through the Thames Valley. Some areas will see a big surprise from this!

Edited by CK1981

In the last hour, 2 inch long icicles have grown from nothing  along the  edge of my shed roof. Unbelievable for late March in daytime.