Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

already fairly white @ home

missing it but hammering it down here in Eltham

8FCBD102-34D8-49DC-BCCC-CB2DF454A42E.thumb.png.c6264aed68b833848fa76c3e8516a467.png

Hi Steve,

Yes, getting heavier here in Lee now and starting to take hold on grass and cars, although not on road and pavement, yet.

Should imagine my kids, just off Elmstead Lane, between Chislehurst and Elmstead Woods, are seeing some settling now.

Regards,

Tom.

32 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

Yes hun. We left at 10am by time we got to Bognor snow was falling agsin was probably our best quickest drive down as no one was on the roads lol. Our minibus driver just made it back to Essex before it hit again. We had a fab weekend was all melted by the time we got back on the Monday. Butlins cancelled their skegness and minehead weekends so we were really lucky that Bognor didn't get hardly anything xx

Oh, that's so good you didn't miss it and had a great time, i've just phoned the hospital and cancelled my appointment for this morning as althugh there is no snow here at the moment, the skies look ominous and snow appears to be all round the perimeters of the triangle and i don't want to risk getting stranded later this morning.Also if it gets a bit slippery on the pavements i wouldnt want to be out in it as my balance is gone and i fall easily even on sunny days.

2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Moderate fall of big flakes now in SE25; starting to settle on grass now, as well as roofs, cars and fences but not on pavement and roads.

00z EC keeps much of the SE under snow for much of the day and through the night, radar shows more to come off the E Anglia coast.

My front door is east facing(horrible) and it's plastered in snow..

Proper snow now in coulsdon and settling on grass now

2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Moderate fall of big flakes now in SE25; starting to settle on grass now, as well as roofs, cars and fences but not on pavement and roads.

00z EC keeps much of the SE under snow for much of the day and through the night, radar shows more to come off the E Anglia coast.

00zECM is odd, its evolution is totally different to any model and the whole lot already is to our west by say 10-12 tonight. All other models are showing a slower evolution with it not really getting going till about 10-12 tonight. We will see how it goes, but its too fast with this first frontal system, according to the ECM it should be decently south of the thames by now.

THink I'd perfer it later, if only so we get the added help of overnight hours which will help the snow to settle on the roads, think it might struggle until we get towards dusk on that front.

5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Indeed a much improved ECM run after a little wobble yesterday

I suspect that might be the start of the convergence zone showing its hand off the coast of EA

Southend peeps what's it like down there? Gotta drop the folk to airport this morning

Had no snow here at 7 by 7.30 we've got a covering (Abridge)!!

Wandsworth - light snow, not settling on anything yet. Surfaces wet. Quite windy. I suspect the small amount of extra altitude at places like Crystal Palace (report above) is helping there.

5 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

77m

Yeah, not much difference to me.. Do you live in a built up area?

I've only got patchy cover on concrete but settling nicely on everything else.

Snow is 7 on the Murr scale and laying nicely.

2 minutes ago, snowking said:

Indeed a much improved ECM run after a little wobble yesterday

I suspect that might be the start of the convergence zone showing its hand off the coast of EA

Yeah, its just much too fast IMO. We need a slower set-up to allow the temps to drop away in the night time, I think that will make the difference for concrete surfaces which at the moment hold too much heat. This band will help with that and dew points should drop away nicely over the next 2-3hrs as well.

4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

00zECM is odd, its evolution is totally different to any model and the whole lot already is to our west by say 10-12 tonight. All other models are showing a slower evolution with it not really getting going till about 10-12 tonight. We will see how it goes, but its too fast with this first frontal system, according to the ECM it should be decently south of the thames by now.

THink I'd perfer it later, if only so we get the added help of overnight hours which will help the snow to settle on the roads, think it might struggle until we get towards dusk on that front.

Ec precip I see is  tough to take detail from as it covers a 6 hour slot

Lots of convection firing up just to the North of the front, a good signal for the region later.

1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

Yeah, not much difference to me.. Do you live in a built up area?

I've only got patchy cover on concrete but settling nicely on everything else.

Elevation makes a huge difference -  I used to live in Purley - bet it's settling there!

19 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Big fakes now.. This should make a difference:good:

no, you want real snow.

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Southend peeps what's it like down there? Gotta drop the folk to airport this morning

Had no snow here at 7 by 7.30 we've got a covering (Abridge)!!

Roads fine but all else with a nice covering. Very alpine looking.

A request, as many of us are on mobiles, please can you put your locations in your text?

temps falling nicely in Reigate - 0.4c - dp -0.9c

1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Still cant get over the fact that it is my Birthday on Wednesday and here we are on the 17th March with the prospect of some disruptive snow... 

More so the change in conditions overnight, everyone yesterday kept saying to me, How can it possibly snow tomorrow with weather like this.. I said "Give it time.."

It’s mine tomorrow. 35 years and I am pretty sure it has not snowed on or around my birthday. Could be wrong though. It was 20+ degrees one year (possibly 2007 or 08). 

Southend-on-Snow

A1DA3A1A-007E-48C3-9DB1-7505C40EFF0A.png

Beginning to settle in places looks great falling a then spiralling. 

4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ec precip I see is  tough to take detail from as it covers a 6 hour slot

I've got 3hr slots which shows more detail. Its about where it was forecasting for about 4am, so probably 3-4hrs too quick at the moment, though the stuff behind it looks better modelled in terms of timings, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Band showing subtle signs of weakening, but shouldn't matter too much for most in this region. May mean those of us in the west won't get much as the precip may not be heavy enough to give settling snow, especially later in the day that it will be arriving at.