Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Catching up with the thread a few pages back and I thought I had gone on to the alcoholics forum lol. Maybe I'm just a wee bit jel as I'm a delivery driver 6 days a week so rarely get a full weekend like most to have a few🍺. Kinda dreading driving round London/Surrey/Kent all day tomo! Might need to hit the whisky tomorrow evening and watch from my balcony overlooking the Thames the streamer set in🥂❄☃️ Before spending my day off sledging with the neighbours😍 goodluck to everyone in the region we deserve a second "mini beast" after the last few winters/Marches

5 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

I was exactly the same here but my mate in West Kingsdown got 15cms and that is only 7 miles from me.The only significant snow(3cms) i got from Beast 1 was the snow that fell from 2pm-5pm on Friday 2nd March and that was all completely washed away by the end of Saturday night!!

Yes. I’m not far from you in Orpington. We did slightly better on Wednesday than Friday. Up towards Chelsfield did ok,on the golf course there was still snow in the gullies last weekend despite a few days of double digit temps.

49 minutes ago, paget said:

I have just got out of the car and can confirm here in Farnham (Bourne Valley) it is brass monkeys! 😬 😉

How long was your return journey, in hours?

4 minutes ago, High&low said:

2.2c in Oulton  Broad Lowestoft with sleet

Oulton broad,lovely place,took my girl's to lowestoft last year in august,done the boat trip out on the broads,had lunch outside by the harbour,then a couple of hours at the petting zoo,getting in the goat enclosure was epic

1 minute ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

How long was your return journey, in hours?

Did really well back home

2 hours 40 mins 

Wonderful 18z fax chart update, with a classic Thames streamer in place by this point:

fax24s.gif?1

Suspect HIRLAM may not be far off from the mark again but I think we will have to wait till 15z to have a good idea of which model has a good grip. GFS to be fair is also along a similar route, but not as potent.

^^ The twig is back!! Slightly curvature of the isolines SW is all we need !!!

1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Not bad, can’t believe it’s 10 years since I first met you out in the U.S. chasing storms with Michael Fish!

Also can’t believe we going to experience another cold snap that tops anything upper temperature wise experienced in many winters we experienced from the late 90s through much of the naughties before 2009. Doesn’t feel right in mid-March and there’s no guarantee that we won’t see more cold snaps as we head through Easter. Oh well, we will see the back of winter some time  in the next few months 

I would not be in a rush to see the back of it - we could be waiting years and years before we see another easterly after the cold comes to an end in this current pattern.That's why i'll never understand people telling the snow to go way. Thank God their locks failed, and the beast has got back in the door .Finally, one last thing needs to be said; welcome son of the beast to London, now do your worst!:yahoo:

Edited by Bricriu

Meh Thames Streamers suck! Poor folkestone didn't get much of a whiff last beast

Well it's a shame about this weekend and if it doesn't snow I may well just cry. 

We were meant to be moving this weekend, and now we are not. My fiancé heard about the amber warnings on the radio and wanted me to check up and was all "oh it will be fine", "don't worry" etc etc and then for some reason within the next 10 mins he had changed his mind. As he was meant to be the driver, I couldn't really argue it. So van, storage and the site we are due to move to (living in caravan for a bit) all contacted by me (not him lol) 

Everyone else seems to be just carrying on as normal with their weekend plans and ours came to a halt (until next Sunday).. :(

Believe me it better snow now! I think I need a stiff drink. 

Great to hear them updates @kold weather and @steveMurr. We have a gusty easterly wind here with a light rain shower. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

^^ The twig is back!! Slightly curvature of the isolines SW is all we need !!!

but its really not great for the majority Steve..... not keen on streamers

Shoreditch, central London, 8.3c according to my weather station. Going to have to drop some, but expecting/ hoping for some nice surprises!!

Streamers are the holy grail if you happen to be in a location where they're favourable, you can have large amounts of snow in a very short period of time. 

I wonder how much of this is going to settle given temperatures have been in the mid-teens the last few days.

Light drizzle in Orpington now. Wet surfaces aren’t going to help snow accumulation 🙁

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Streamers are the holy grail if you happen to be in a location where they're favourable, you can have large amounts of snow in a very short period of time. 

I wonder how much of this is going to settle given temperatures have been in the mid-teens the last few days.

That was a concern of mine. I’ve seen heavy snow accumulate before and then thaw for the ground upwards. Hopefully the air temps of around freezing will temper that a little bit.

The FAX Thames Streamer is back could well see more than last time.  :yahoo:

I would imagine a Thames streamer would be great for your location Daniel. I lived in Greenwich for 2 years and it was generally rubbish for snow. Although they were rubbish winters generally (2014/5 & 2015/6)

Edited by Stu_London

The original band of ppn looks like it’s breaking up with a secondary band incoming that is all snow. Maybe the first band will pick up some convection over land as it sinks south west. None of this stuff looks particularly exciting yet, although north midlands and Yorkshire doing nicely tonight

9 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

I would imagine a Thames streamer would be great for your location Daniel. I lived in Greenwich for 2 years and it was generally rubbish for snow. Although they were rubbish winters generally (2014/5 & 2015/6)

Greenwich near yep although strangely last beast I think I cropped a lot more weird isn’t it, it was atrocious for five years I had nothing but dusting it was depressing. From 13/14 up to the daddy beast.  :D 

This winter and spring is going down as memorable I’ve seen more snow than the last four winters combined x10. It is incredibly rare for London to be looking at significant snowfall mid March and not even the wet variety in general powdery snow is nonexistent most of the time so for what 17-18th March. Soaking it in. 

Also drifting snow likely!.... so very impressive if short.

Edited by Daniel*