Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

9 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Luckily I’m drinking red bull with my vodka, so could well still be up at that time

you might pass out and miss the snow

Dew point 4.4 temp 5.2 Bramley, Surrey Hills

Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Dewpoints over in France and Belgium still 4-5c - Should that not be lower by now ? 

Maybe the drier air will come with the uppers which are coming more from a Holland / Denmark direction

Sevenoaks North Downs, we are showing current temp of 6.4c, it was 13.1c on Sheerness beach this afternoon, a coat not really needed in the almost warn sunshine.    

1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

you might pass out and miss the snow

😂😂 quite possibly- wouldn’t be the first time

1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

Maybe the drier air will come with the uppers which are coming more from a Holland / Denmark direction

Yh that would make sense, some of the Bouys in the N Sea between Norfolk and Holland are down to -5 to -8c at present way off to our NE

Car was showing 14c at lunchtime. Might have played golf if it wasn’t for pesky work

23 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

NW radar suggests sleet in the Norwich area now. Anyone able to verify?

I am in Beccles, Near the Norfolk/Suffolk border and there is definite sleet. Winds got up too. Drove through fog between here and Ipswich about 6.30pm

Sorry, but that Beeb SE forecast was useless! The main one was slightly better.....

4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Dewpoints over in France and Belgium still 4-5c - Should that not be lower by now ? 

Airmass coming more from Holland and Denmark direction where DPs are well below 0C

3807FA95-8EC6-4705-AC41-AE6D2984A27B.png

I have just got out of the car and can confirm here in Farnham (Bourne Valley) it is brass monkeys! 😬 😉

3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Airmass coming more from Holland and Denmark direction where DPs are well below 0C

3807FA95-8EC6-4705-AC41-AE6D2984A27B.png

I suspect the the temps and dew points behind the front will drop sharply. Been out in the garden again and it’s definately colder than before albeit cloudy. I’ll need to put my jeans on next time

34 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

humidity -25%:drunk-emoji:

wet bulb soggy:drunk-emoji:

temp 22c:drunk-emoji:

wind east eastwesterly:drunk-emoji:

snowing moderately:drunk-emoji:

drinking heavily:drunk-emoji:

Don’t peak too early my friend.

It could be a long weekend!:drunk-emoji:

The front seems to be getting its act together and moving south west now

Temp 5 degrees here . The sky is a very bright red colour , very weird. 

1 minute ago, ICE COLD said:

Temp 5 degrees here . The sky is a very bright red colour , very weird. 

That’s when you know snow is on the way my friend! Yes I am back to see in this cold snap! 

According to Wunderground temp up to 6.7 (from 6.4). Suspect that the cloud cover is responsible

Temp down to 6.7 now as at 11pm so still got a way to go.If the latest HIRLAM nails this "snow event" like the last one then i think more of the SE thread will see more significant snow than Beast 1 which was more a hit and miss affair with the nature of the streamers that set up.Will be fascinating to see how the next 24-36 hrs develop.

Temperature increase here now!

Temp: 6.1c

DP: 4c

1 minute ago, Hotspur61 said:

Temp down to 6.7 now as at 11pm so still got a way to go.If the latest HIRLAM nails this "snow event" like the last one then i think more of the SE thread will see more significant snow than Beast 1 which was more a hit and miss affair with the nature of the streamers that set up.Will be fascinating to see how the next 24-36 hrs develop.

I only managed a max snow depth of 5cm with beast 1, so won’t take much to beat it. Ground temps might bring in a degree of marginality as far as accumulating snow is concerned

Temp 5c dp 4c Wotton in the Surrey hills. Temp risen slightly.... Haven't looked but probably beginning to cloud over

1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

I only managed a max snow depth of 5cm with beast 1, so won’t take much to beat it. Ground temps might bring in a degree of marginality as far as accumulating snow is concerned

I was exactly the same here but my mate in West Kingsdown got 15cms and that is only 7 miles from me.The only significant snow(3cms) i got from Beast 1 was the snow that fell from 2pm-5pm on Friday 2nd March and that was all completely washed away by the end of Saturday night!!