Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Very annoyed temp has snuck above freezing, I can’t help but feel disappointed especially after the last ‘beast’ if that didn’t happen I would have rated this as decent. At one point or a long stretch the model output put southeast / ea in the epicentre for snow it really could have been so much more snowy, the way the models trended for a direct hit countrywide, did us no favours selfishly I wish it did concentrate down here. It happens so often coldest air from east trends further north, there’s been so many instances of this. 

I wont be going anywhere however! Adios lawrenk I have good feeling about next winter. :) 

And you may be back soon with prospect of a cold easter period.. although I’m one that’s not really interested being in London it now takes something really exceptional, this cold has been exceptional if short. Certainly not expecting anything like this till next winter, the fact it came so soon after the other is staggering really. 

Winter had a sting to its tail it’s funny since mantra at start was early cold? 

yes it's a bit disappointing more snow did not fall at night,particularly last night when it was sticking readily. i would love if we got a snow event like they do in the channel,which dumps a lot of snow. we were so close to it in March 2013 and again this year. still people who did get a fair bit of snow this month, will be thinking what is he on about. Also even without a serious dump of snow,it has been an exceptional month all in all. we have been very lucky this year. i am just being greedy,really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
21 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Nick you are a tease :D from what I see there’s no hint - maybe you need a telescope? You’re very welcome to post in here when you want, I don’t really recall you doing it previously but it’s nice to see you share your thoughts. There could be some convection I think off estuary in morning to early afternoon.

Hoping to see some snow falling as a last hurrah. Then again easter may have different ideas but for us in southeast it takes something even more.

Euro4 does bring a little snow into Sussex not really making inroads. 

279EFCEB-DC19-43AD-AB3E-0D4D72539500.thumb.gif.b83d75e6e29a89c44fd44f022057510c.gif

279EFCEB-DC19-43AD-AB3E-0D4D72539500.thumb.gif.b83d75e6e29a89c44fd44f022057510c.gif

Everything recently has been further north then modelled or just turned up unannounced, euro 4 has been terrible but let's hope it right but with northward adjustment, but only if it doesn't bring rain instead lol.

Posted
3 minutes ago, John Ronane said:

yes it's a bit disappointing more snow did not fall at night,particularly last night when it was sticking readily. i would love if we got a snow event like they do in the channel,which dumps a lot of snow. we were so close to it in March 2013 and again this year. still people who did get a fair bit of snow this month, will be thinking what is he on about. Also even without a serious dump of snow,it has been an exceptional month all in all. we have been very lucky this year. i am just being greedy,really.

I think we have every right to be greedy for me it was five years wait. The first beast blew 2013 out the water even January, never seen so much snow fall every day from mon-fri, sadly much sublimated by that drying wind so the actual depth was not really evident. But there was a depth of 6-7cm & ~20cm fell, with drifting it was impressive and cold brutal I think that was one of most impressive elements compacted ice and snow in city center at midday. I was thinking of how much spectacular it could have been in December / January with sea surface temps much warmer, if these synoptics happened then I and many would have been buried. The temperatures too lower. The wait does go on however for a countrywide and widespread SE snow event, January 2013 last achieving this we had a good event with snow coming up from France, early in winter midlands stole the show, then mid Scotland, in the latter end the South West, we in the southeast never really had the mother load. I think we have come very near to it however. 

Posted

Can’t believe I’ve stooped this low. Seems that bit of ‘fluff’ decided it doesn’t want to be with crowd that’s moving nw towards Dungeness. 

F57D8177-73ED-4EE7-8879-A637BB6A6515.thumb.png.86329d41d859f24b269fa01f21bad18f.png2B833998-7F88-4085-8C8D-3551AFCB4579.thumb.png.2b72d1fef20ff41ba81d31a3c7482e28.png

4 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Very annoyed temp has snuck above freezing, I can’t help but feel disappointed especially after the last ‘beast’ if that didn’t happen I would have rated this as decent. At one point or a long stretch the model output put southeast / ea in the epicentre for snow it really could have been so much more snowy, the way the models trended for a direct hit countrywide, did us no favours selfishly I wish it did concentrate down here. It happens so often coldest air from east trends further north, there’s been so many instances of this. 

I wont be going anywhere however! Adios lawrenk I have good feeling about next winter. :) 

And you may be back soon with prospect of a cold easter period.. although I’m one that’s not really interested being in London it now takes something really exceptional, this cold has been exceptional if short. Certainly not expecting anything like this till next winter, the fact it came so soon after the other is staggering really. 

Winter had a sting to its tail it’s funny since mantra at start was early cold? 

I feel your frustration and disappointment living where I do in a very marginal area for snow at the best of cold setups,but take heart chap all in all its been a better winter in our area since 2013 and I'm hoping this isnt a one off and that next winter will be better, before that I'm not writing off a white Easter yet ,I've seen them before in my life time ,only lasting a day or two but still impressive all the same even in your area but for now thanks for your inputs over the past few weeks ,always a pleasure reading your posts and I admire your knowledge and ability a spotting the positives in the crazy world of model watching ,thanks:)

2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I think we have every right to be greedy for me it was five years wait. The first beast blew 2013 out the water even January, never seen so much snow fall every day from mon-fri, sadly much sublimated by that drying wind so the actual depth was not really evident. But there was a depth of 6-7cm & ~20cm fell, with drifting it was impressive and cold brutal I think that was one of most impressive elements compacted ice and snow in city center at midday. I was thinking of how much spectacular it could have been in December / January with sea surface temps much warmer, if these synoptics happened then I and many would have been buried. The temperatures too lower. The wait does go on however for a countrywide and widespread SE snow event, January 2013 last achieving this we had a good event with snow coming up from France, early in winter midlands stole the show, then mid Scotland, in the latter end the South West, we in the southeast never really had the mother load. I think we have come very near to it however. 

well you got a lot more snow than me in the first easterly. i live 250 foot above sea level, but only had about 7 cm of snow.  i guess being in the north west of London was a big factor in this. It has been a long wait  for me too for snow, that's why I am desperately hoping we get more snow during Easter. i just fear when we go back to our normal weather pattern,we will be waiting another six years for a decent easterly, possibly even longer. that's why I will never understand people yearning for the snow to go. we will have plenty of warmth in the summer. London is not like the west of Ireland, where summer is a couple of days,if we are lucky!

Edited by John Ronane

Morning gang, would say we had about 3-4cm last night the car was cleared and this is what fell on top of it again last night 

DSC_0803.thumb.JPG.8c28e19df09b921d330fdd5fba9c7c47.JPG

My car won't start well we managed to get it started by my breakdown cover is being renewed today and I currently don't have any, so I'm not risking it and staying put.. 

My road.. Well death trap 

DSC_0804.thumb.JPG.9247deb758d8bfaf4de3680b57d2bf58.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Band just south of me clipping Folkestone, can't believe I was right about something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Band of snow heading up from the south ready to hit rye any minute. Bit surprised if it goes where i hope it does

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

It feels a lot colder now than yesterday morning. What's left of the snow from last night have frozen solid making the pavements very treacherous. 

Take care peeps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Hope the talk of a white easter is just talk, I'm ready for spring now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Morning gang.

Snowing again on the Sussex coast

The stuff in the channel has been 'tickling' us for a few hours here.

Temperature 0.0c

Wind chill -6c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

Had a brief snow shower just now, would really like spring warmth now, been a good winter but time to move on ?

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, john mac said:

Last one out shut the door! 

Back for Easter!?

But leave the light on...:hi:just in case..don t wanna be left in the dark :ninja:.. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Been a great couple of days. This sort of cold and snowfall in mid March is pretty exceptional. 

I for one am now ready for warm Spring weather. I highly doubt we’ll see anything this potent for the rest of the season, and I’m not up for a cold slush fest! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
10 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Some precip developing north of band despite not pushing north. 

C529CB7E-2737-4EDC-8C06-D4B6AD8D7AA8.thumb.png.110e561a92302cabab933d5d8639ba88.png

I’m under that but nothing falling I’m afraid!! X

Posted
3 minutes ago, paget said:

I’m under that but nothing falling I’m afraid!! X

Along in Saltdean we have light snow for the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Now im too far north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A clear, frosty and sunny start for the north of the region. It should that way up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I'm certainly in need of some sun and milder conditions now but Easter looks to be a chilly one.

I wonder what the knock on with all this will be for farmers, gardeners and so on..

Posted

On my way to work in Central London from SW London.  Looks like a general 1-2cm cover.  As I said yesterday, a very poor return compared to just about every other region in the UK.  Just goes to show how unlucky we have been with this mini-beast.

Edited by mulzy

Posted
7 minutes ago, mulzy said:

On my way to work in Central London from SW London.  Looks like a general 1-2cm cover.  As I said yesterday, a very poor return compared to just about every other region in the UK.  Just goes to show how unlikely we have been with this mini-beast.

6cm here in the NW, but agree we have not done as well as further north. Still pretty good for the time of year though.

GFS sticks with the wintry Easter, ECM suggesting something a bit more spring like. Wouldn't mind a white Easter. But after that id really like some warmer weather!

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

I guess this may be the end of the snow (but who knows) we have an annual trip to Plymouth at Easter normally it’s lovely sunshine! I’m looking forward to spring! 

here in Farnham, Surrey we only had a couple of cm last time so our 8cm this time has been lovely! 

I’ve loved the snow this year and I’m glad others gave st least had a bit! To be honest none of it was expected so I’m over the moon! 

Roads are very icy around here this morning!

temp -0.2

dp -3.9

?