Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
10 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Her one is mixed so he's as big as a cat. His crap might not be big, but there's a lot of it scattered round the garden. 

She don't scoop it up quick enough

I like my garden to much to leave a mess around in it.   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
3 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

I like my garden to much to leave a mess around in it.   

She's a keen gardener so she enjoys being in her garden. She just hates picking sh*t up - I don't know why she has him:nonono:

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

no dog doodoo here either lol

In the morning my garden will be nice and clean disinfected. With the rain forecast it will wash away the snow.   So dog duty resumes as normal. ?

Posted
3 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

She's a keen gardener so she enjoys being in her garden. She just hates picking sh*t up - I don't know why she has him:nonono:

Get her a long handled scooper.  Not one of those silly plastic things there useless..   

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

The model output discussion on netweather is indicating a cold winter of 2018/19. One indication is a cold or coldish March now. Another is the expected solar minimum this year/next winter. Get ready for the beast of the east MkII, or polar lows, in 10 months' time.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

Get her a long handled scooper.  Not one of those silly plastic things there useless..   

She has one and she uses it.. just not often enough

Posted
11 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

The model output discussion on netweather is indicating a cold winter of 2018/19. One indication is a cold or coldish March now. Another is the expected solar minimum this year/next winter. Get ready for the beast of the east MkII, or polar lows, in 10 months' time.

Cold March, yes. To predict next winter is more than a gamble 

Posted
5 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Cold March, yes. To predict next winter is more than a gamble 

Perhaps they're missing discussing wintry-looking synoptics...

Posted

Well that’s 7 days with some snow on ground for here very unusual...

it’s just hanging on in a patch in the garden and snowman which is terminal armless, headless lol!.. barely qualifies. It’s amazing to think Friday night everything was white, and glazed - such a sudden change saddening to know we’ll never see that depth of cold at that time of year again. I’d say it’s a freak occurrence, -16C uppers in March I don’t think that’s ever happened, some sunshine would be nice to get over blues. :) 

• Like 1

Posted

I have just found a support group(snow addicts anonymous) for those suffering severe withdrawl symptoms and heartache due to the snow melting and the beast leaving us- it seems he was no match for Emma in the end):

But seriously, I doubt i'll see such depths of cold( we had four ice days) , where the temperature did not get above -2, in London again during my lifetime. So i do feel a sense of sadness about that. Also the surprise snow we got from the streamer in the early hours of last Wedesday was amazing. I had never seen snow accumulate so rapidly before. Nor seen whiteout conditions like that before- not even in 2010! We can only hope the solar minimum period delivers something half as good as the first days of March 2018 in the years ahead.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

birds enjoying the temperature rise, they are back out singing after a week of being in hiding.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

new ice age starts next winter btw:cold:filaments galore from the moon:rofl:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Well my wife and I returned home last night, after a day and a bit stay, at the Residential Care Home she works at. Made the decision to go in with Colette, because I thought, getting a cab, yesterday morning, might prove very difficult and no doubt, would have meant a double fare, plus she didn't want me to stay on my own, after my CVA.!!  Fortunately, her manager was only to pleased to oblige and praised Colette, for her foresight! I'd like to re-produce, my post from yesterday morning, documenting, our stay, in the Care Home:

"Morning all,

Well, certainly think it was a good decision, to stay with my wife overnight, at her place of work, so she could be here for 6.45 and it's certainly paid dividends. Think she would've struggled to get a cab in, cab drivers are very reluctant to drive, up our Close we're both prepared to stay another night, as Colette has a 6.45, start tomorrow morning.

Spoke to my eldest sister, Luisa, yesterday morning, while she was at the Selsdon Park Hotel, in Surrey. Poor Luisa and her husband, suffered a boiler breakdown, last weekend and can't get it fixed, for another week or so. Couldn't have happened, at a worse time. But fortunately, Luisa had a 2 day voucher, from her former work colleagues, at the Sloane hospital, in Beckenham. Luisa, retired a few months ago, from her job as a, Radiography secretary. She's 70 and has decided to go back to work, as Bank staff, because she's very bored, at home.

So there you go, my sister, gets to spend, 2 days at top notch hotel. Pfft, she doesn't know she's alive!! Meanwhile her Sister-in-law, gets a short weekend break, in a Residential Care Home, in Chislehurst!! Always the skinflint me but I really know how to treat a girl!! :D C'mon, it is Chislehurst, though!! Only the best places me. I know how to push, the boat out!!:)

Poor Colette, initially tried to sleep on cushions but they kept coming apart and eventually succumbed, and had to go and find a single mattress, from another spare room, bless her. I had the single bed, btw but it wasn't big enough, for both of us. I would have given it to Colette but after my CVA, she insisted on me having it, gallant to the last, me!! :)  BUPA, had obviously, mislaid my payment, of bedroom supplement!!

Our room, was "en suite" but their idea of  "en suite", was to supply me with half a dozen, cardboard urinal bottles. Cheapskates, BUPA Sorry, TMI there. Bit of poetic license and jesting there!! The cardboard bottles, are a legacy of my leaving hospital, after my CVA. Colette bought me a job lot, back in Feb.2016, as I wasn't able, to get to the toilet, at night. Tried to flog them on Ebay but to no avail, excuse me, they weren't used!! :nonono:My wife was on hand to help me, bless her, the lady must love me:give_rose:We literally, p....d, ourselves, laughing.:laugh:

Colette locked our bedroom door and warned me not to be worried, if I heard, some of the resident's prowling up and down the corridors', in the middle of night!!:shok: They are prone to do this!!

Eventually, I dropped off to sleep. With thoughts of the deep, crisp and even, snow cover, outside, I drifted off. Probably, after the effects of my CVA, my mind/brain, started playing tricks, on me. I started having bad dreams and recalling, Jack Nicholson, snow bound, in The Shining!!:shok: During the night, I heard some commotion, outside our door. It was one of the residents and I'm sure I heard them scream, " Here's Johnny"!!:shok:

Anyway we had a reasonable night but I'm sure Colette, can't wait to get home, once her shift, finishes, at 7 pm, then she's back in again, at 6.45, in the morning.

If you're looking to book a short weekend break, for a loved one, for Mothering Sunday, and don't mind roughing it, for a couple of nights. I can thoroughly recommend, BUPAs, " Rustic weekend experience", all expenses paid, actually I havn't had to pay, anything!!:nonono:

BUPA, are still taking bookings, at a Residential Care Home, near you, don't miss out. You won't find this offer on TRIVAGO.com :nonono:

Anyway, looking forward to my ham, egg and chips, at lunchtime and perhaps, a sing song, round the "Joanna", with the old girls, in the afternoon.

Butlins, Center Parcs and Travelodge, eat your heart out!! :nonono:"

It proved to be a real "eye-opener", for me. I'd obviously heard from Colette, how difficult, and both physically and mentally tiring, the job was but actually witnessing her tasks, at first hand, really drove it home to me!!I was able to sit in with Colette, yesterday morning and lunchtime. After citing, Jack Nicholsons', "The Shining", the night before, yesterdays' lunch was akin to another JN classic, "One flew over the cuckoos' nest!! Really understand, why my wife needs a couple of glasses of wine, when she gets home, now!!  My wife is a Senior/Team Leader there now and amongst her duties are, handing out and reordering of medication, calming residents down and avoiding, confrontational situations. Also ,deciding whether a resident needs, urgent medical attention, liaising with GPs and making a decision, on whether to call an ambulance, or not. For all this responsibility, she gets paid a pittance of £9.17 an hour. Not just because my wife, works in the industry but I've always thought, it was a national disgrace!! The staff are often exposed to physical and mental attacks, sometimes have faeces thrown at them, are exposed to all sorts of nasty viruses. I really do believe, there should be a National Campaign, to improve the plight of all Care Workers!! The country, really does owe them a great debt of gratitude!! Afew months ago, my wife had to deal with a knife wielding, resident!! I really do believe, the Government, should step in and force these care Companies, to pay Care Workers, an appropriate wage, for such an important and responsible job. An "en suite" room costs a resident, £1,500 per week. It's the "Organ Grinders" and not the "Monkeys", that receive the money!!:nonono:

Sorry rant over!!

Despite, these really difficult working conditions, Colette loves her job and wouldn't do anything else. I really applaud, her dedication to duty.:clap:

In other news, was really surprised how quickly the thaw, took hold. Just a few patches of snow remained, here in Lee and the thawing of snow, hag been well under way, at Chislehurst, all day yesterday. Really noticed how loud the Dawn Chorus was this morning, birds must be sensing that Spring, is on its way.

Hope you all enjoy your day.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:                                         ;

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
9 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Mine is corneal dystrophy, however there are many different types, and also other things it could be, so don't take this as any sort of diagnosis or possible treatment.

no, no, but its certainly something to look into

• Like 1

Posted

hard to believe it was a week today we were watching the beast approaching in anticipation... and after all the reports of deep snow everywhere, people snowed in, motorways shut, schools shut, trains cancelled, i managed a maximum depth of about an inch here by friday evening which was gone the next morning!

oh well, roll on next winter. lets hope we have a hot summer in between!

• Like 1

Posted

So disappointing here.Only received a dusting.Missed out on the snow,whatever angle it came from.

Only depth of cold was remarkable and seeing icicles hanging off cars whilst driving around was amazing.

Couldnt even build a flipping snowman or go sledging on the Downs.

All that chasing the Easterly all winter and when it finally arrived,pathetic.

Last time I ever go chasing a cold spell in the winter again.

First true Siberian blast in over 20 years too.

March 2013 delivered far more in depth of snow.

Goodbye Winter 2018.Utterly pathetic in the end.

Over and flipping out .:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The steady thaw continues here, again with a lot of mist and fog after that brief snowy interlude last night. What was odd was that it fell entirely as sleet and snow despite the radar showing a lot of the precipitation to be of rain. Looks like we have a large another layer of cold to allow the rain to fall as snow even in marginal situations. Still just rain forecast today to move up from the south, but also some brighter spells hopefully.

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

So disappointing here.Only received a dusting.Missed out on the snow,whatever angle it came from.

Only depth of cold was remarkable and seeing icicles hanging off cars whilst driving around was amazing.

Couldnt even build a flipping snowman or go sledging on the Downs.

All that chasing the Easterly all winter and when it finally arrived,pathetic.

Last time I ever go chasing a cold spell in the winter again.

First true Siberian blast in over 20 years too.

March 2013 delivered far more in depth of snow.

Goodbye Winter 2018.Utterly pathetic in the end.

Over and flipping out .:wallbash:

yep... would be interesting to know if any other county in the UK did as badly as west sussex in this spell.