Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, The East has Ceased said:

Lets hope the weather has a sense of humour and we get some snow for Eater on april fools day! That'll wind the mildies up :yahoo:

eater, when is eater day and what do you eat:rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

So today I've been from Greenwich across to Clapham, down to Wandsworth then to Tooting and then back across via Westminster, Elephant & Castle, through Peckham and now back in Greenwich. Pretty similar conditions all the way across to be honest. Roofs, grass and cars covered, patchy coverings across the pavements - around 2-3cms of snow throughout.

Just now it's that really fine powdery snow which hurts your eyes a bit to walk through. Not bad all in all for March. The Met Office warning were a little out of kilter it must be said, but this episode goes to show once again that no matter how far we humble homosapiens like to think we have come with NWP, dynamic situations such as this can still catch us all out. I did suggest on Friday that realistically we could expect 2-5cms for those on lower ground and that looks to be just about right.

But again - this is March. All of this is a bonus and we have a good few winters yet to come

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

eater, when is eater day and what do you eat:rofl:

Thats the day you're supposed to eat all the eater eggs :closedeyes: :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, The East has Ceased said:

Thats the day you're supposed to eat all the eater eggs :closedeyes: :good:

i clebrated it early:oops:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i clebrated it early:oops:

Best get more now before all the last minute buyers start panic buying eggs when they hear about an easter cold snap. Lol

Posted

Much heavier here. Settling on roads now. Quick depth check on the grass is 6cm. Less elsewhere. Bizarrely deeper than the other week where it’s stuck 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, yamkin said:

MetO have just updated their Amber Warning

Still about two miles to the north and yet we've already had about 7-8cms! More to come judging by what's moving up through Hampshire...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

OMG, just woke up and looked outside....wow. Wasn’t expecting so much snow!

• Like 3

Shotley, suffolk 

Hasn't snow ed much here since I put my head down for the night 5 hour's ago still very windy ,very cold in fact extremely, hints of something on radar to the east,nice to see our friends on the southern countries are seeing snow ,Portsmouth area I do believe, very rare down  in these areas and in mid march ,a truely epic cold event indeed ,

Today is second of the 3 day cold snap,or beasty boy and still with temps still low for some snow action ,temps might creep just above freezing this afternoon before they fall away again tonight 

Lots for coldies to come today I feel enjoy ,I am and will

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, Eastnorthwest said:

What depth have you got mate in Egham 

Looks like about 8cm now and still coming down, but I’ll measure more accurately when I get up ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Well, what a surprise. Went to bed around 10.15 , with any chance of snow, seemingly vanishing, as ppn boke up south of the river. Felt really tired and didn't have my afternoon nap, yesterday, which I need every day, after suffering a Haemorrhagic Stroke, 2 years ago. Also had row with wife , for that "infernal clicking", of my keyboard!! She had just finished a twelve hour shift and likes to "crash out", in front of the tv, which I can understand. So trudged off to bed,with my tail between my legs.

Think I got up for a bathroom break, around 2, had a quick peek out of the window, to see grass, road and pavements, all covered!! See it was me, that was stopping the snow from arriving south of the river!! Just spent an hour, trawling through all your posts, to ascertain when the snow fell. Looks like it arrived from the S/SE, sometime after midnight and it appears that Lee, SE12, jist caught the eastern edge of it. Many thanks to all of you that stayed up and posted, this really is an informative thread. Special thanks to Nick F and KW, for their superb analysis, of the evolving situation, others too.

Someone posted earlier, that one model gives us more snow chances,, later on today. Perhaps I should promise to come off the computer, if that's the case, later on.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Well, what a surprise. Went to bed around 10.15 , with any chance of snow, seemingly vanishing, as ppn boke up south of the river. Felt really tired and didn't have my afternoon nap, yesterday, which I need every day, after suffering a Haemorrhagic Stroke, 2 years ago. Also had row with wife , for that "infernal clicking", of my keyboard!! She had just finished a twelve hour shift and likes to "crash out", in front of the tv, which I can understand. So trudged off to bed,with my tail between my legs.

Think I got up for a bathroom break, around 2, had a quick peek out of the window, to see grass, road and pavements, all covered!! See it was me, that was stopping the snow from arriving south of the river!! Just spent an hour, trawling through all your posts, to ascertain when the snow fell. Looks like it arrived from the S/SE, sometime after midnight and it appears that Lee, SE12, jist caught the eastern edge of it. Many thanks to all of you that stayed up and posted, this really is an informative thread. Special thanks to Nick F and KW, for their superb analysis, of the evolving situation, others too.

Someone posted earlier, that one model gives us more snow chances,, later on today. Perhaps I should promise to come off the computer, if that's the case, later on.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Shotley Suffolk 

Hi tom 

I'm pleased to here the snow we had up here in suffolk did reach the London area in the small hours which I said would happen in one of my posts yesterday, though it seems the though or streamer that form yesterday evening unusually spirelled giving your area and southern counties their share of the spoils, still more to come today almost anywhere, a truely classic weather event for this part of the world for mid march 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Unexpected to have snow here in Shoreham-by-Sea; around an inch or two. Seeing the snow shield over Brighton and much of Sussex last night, I really wasn’t confident! :cold:

• Like 1