Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

We will mate. You’ll get it first as I’m west of you. It’s developing now in association with a wave from the south and a trough aligning through the Thames Valley 

Ah, that's probably what i saw via the radar - when going back in time a bit then to the present ... Anti clockwise movement, with the centre of that south of london/north of the sussex coast. 

2 minutes ago, wintermaster said:

Ok you know best. I’m just saying what I see ! 

I'm not saying you're wrong but there are a lot of people writing this event off because the radar doesn't currently show much snow but as others have said these Met office warnings are from now until Sunday night so it's impossible to make any statement based on the current radar images. What everyone who is concerned needs do to is relax and see what develops. If there's no snow this time tomorrow then people can get upset but I'd like to think the Met office warnings are based on fact not fiction.

3 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

1951. And still working - and walking 2 miles a day - and reading a lot, and feel like i'm about 40 or younger. 

Very good!.. I too feel a lot younger than my age:good:

still not snowing in Ramsgate.....perhaps this evening if we are lucky

edit...a handful of tiny flakes now

Edited by PLANET THANET

2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

That was picked up by some models yesterday, I'm wondering what the pressure chart looks like, thinking g a wave building behind today's low, how it looked, but now maybe another full low develops.

It is very interesting. More to the circulation than first thought. I said this last night, these easterlies always throw surprises into the mix, especially when low pressure systems develop.

Just now, D.V.R said:

Very good!.. I too feel a lot younger than my age:good:

If we stay clued in ... we stay OK. When were you born? 

If the radar is to believed, snow coming in to Thames Estuary / N Kent can be traced well back into Holland, so plenty to come upstream

CD00F4C9-1195-4D9E-BA94-C0CF4FB9E685.png

Just now, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Bloody hell its raining

That's UK weather for you! Probably just temporary or a sign a low is on the go.

27 minutes ago, mulzy said:

If only it was January (I’ll get my coat!)

I feel the strengthening of the Jetstream has and will make it impossible for it to happen during mid winter. It's more likely to happen either side of it imo.

22 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I never said 4pm, that was another member. I said later in the afternoon. I do agree with the 4pm comment though. Nobody said the whole region would be covered in snow at 4pm, we said the developments would start then, and they are.

Apparently 17:09 is the new start time ❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄☺

1 minute ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Bloody hell its raining

Where? Is it freezing rain?

Surprised at these comments really, radar looks encouraging to me for developments over the next 12 - 24 hours.

Chill everyone, am enjoying Polystyrene Fest down here today, first time since 2009 :D

Not much happening in H.bay either. No better than 2/10 at any point in the last couple of hours.

Still light snow but sticking to everything. Road and paths slowly getting covered. It’ll need to snow for 5 days at this rate to get to 5-10cm lol 

B1F5D78D-5742-4650-8D60-D4D1E5ADE681.png

Lightest of the light snow we have had all day

1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Surprised at these comments really, radar looks encouraging to me for developments over the next 12 - 24 hours.

Chill everyone, am enjoying Polystyrene Fest down here today, first time since 2009 :D

Having looked through the thread for that day recently, strikes me that we are broadly on the same timescale here, that evening didn't really get going till 7-8pm, though there was a fair amount of lighter stuff around during the early evening, just like we have now. Of course once it got going, it became quite impressive for a number of hours. I think the time window maybe a little shorter this time round but we will see.

6 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

If we stay clued in ... we stay OK. When were you born? 

Definitely. I was born 1978.

Despite the sky becoming ever more laden-looking - still nothing!:cray:

Just now, D.V.R said:

Definitely. I was born 1978.

Oooer, a youngster lol. You were a toddler in the 79/19 winter - a good one for cold, less so for snow, but there was some decent snowfall.  

Nothing here of note... very wet out tho! Things seem to be moving more W Than SW which IMBY isn't the best

Lots of us on here are trying to give a balanced view and insight today. Others are mocking that, which is a shame. I think rather than mocking people, appreciate the input others make as it’s often valuable!