Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sunshine and light showers here, to be honest looking at the radar I think there will be more emphasis on the sunshine as any showers clear from the Norfolk area.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 5.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm losing the will to live.  Once again, for those at the back. The main snow risk isn't until 4pm onwards. 4pm onwards. 4pm onwards. 4pm onwards. 4pm onwards. The colde

So the cold is almost at an end with a steady thaw expected over the coming days. As such the region will be one again. May I just say that the last week has been a real experience and I must tha

Some people need to grow up. If you want to bicker and snipe do it via PM. Because the rest of us don’t want to know.

Posted Images

Posted
    6 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Have to say that blob on the radar does look very suspect to me. 14 years of radar watching gives you a gut feeling with these things, and the blob isn't really behaving in a way that makes me think its real. Not to say there isn't snow there, but just not looking like that.

Inversion Maybe ? A la 2009 ?

Posted
    12 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

You could be diverted to brum or stansted I think. it’s a bit of a nowcast job for the next 24 hours. This cold front hasn’t proved a problem but it has waves headed west later on. Tbh, you will probably see more in Wales tomorrow !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Starting to settle on pavements in Guildford by the looks of it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
    Just now, Essex Chelle said:

My parents are under the blob now and its nothing major- lighter snow than it was not being under it.

I feel sick. I've been lied to for the past 2 hours! Scrap the blobwatch movement. The blob is dead to me:angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
    Just now, andy_leics22 said:

I feel sick. I've been lied to for the past 2 hours! Scrap the blobwatch movement. The blob is dead to me:angry:

#lyingblob.

Anyway interesting day ahead. The metoffice forecast map is still working this time round and shows lots of shower packing in once the front clears. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Just opened front door to delivery man oh my what a shock that cold air was after yesterday' high of 15 degrees ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy, wintry weather
    2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Oh no Paul, not Polystyrenegate,again!! Another conspiracy against, you Southenders!! Cheers mate.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Light-Moderate snow for a couple of hours here now, 1-2cm on the grass etc but absolutely nothing settling on roads/pavements

Posted
    14 minutes ago, starstream said:

I'm nr Danbury , between Maldon and Chelmsford. V strong winds , fairly big flakes, I anticipate #bigblob to reach me within the hour.

Oh I know Woodham Walter, weirdly from a programme called Forensic Files because of that yacht murder. So weird when I've lived nearby nearly all my life to have no idea until I saw a programme from the US! Such an interesting case.

Still snowing here in South Woodham, still not settling on roads though. Come on blob.

Posted

Really quite big flakes in Bromley now it’s settling quicker on the grass than it has been this morning so far - still need temperatures down for settling on paths and road

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Just been out for a pond\snow inspection and I have to say, despite looking very pretty, the quality is v poor. Melts when I walk on it leaving muddy footprints in the grass:( I think I've been spoilt by too many trips to the Alps, expectations are high - I'd forgotten what English snow was like;) Still time for improvement though, temps about 1.5c here

• Like 1
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Unlike the last Beast, the snow today has more water content, so is sticking nicely to trees and fences, so certainly making for some photogenic tree covered in snow scenes this weekend. Still coming down moderately here in Croydon with about 1-2cm on the shed roof and in patches on grass, still not settling on roads, pavements or similar hard ground surfaces

Nick - do you think there is a better chance of covering roads/pavements/concrete after dark (given the snow)?

Posted
    5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I'm guessing a problem with the radar site, you can see where suddenly the precip becomes lighter in an almost straight line on the northern side, suggesting a radar issue to me of some sorts rather than anything weather related.

Posted
    1 minute ago, TomSE12 said:

Oh no Paul, not Polystyrenegate,again!! Another conspiracy against, you Southenders!! Cheers mate.

Regards,

Tom.

Lol Tom

This time we already have 2cm whereas that one we blanked, so we done better already, Id bank that

• Like 2
    Posted
    Just now, kold weather said:

I'm guessing a problem with the radar site, you can see where suddenly the precip becomes lighter in an almost straight line on the northern side, suggesting a radar issue to me of some sorts rather than anything weather related.

Yh probably, Norfolk and Suffolk not paying their bills again :rofl:

Posted
    5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Adjusting the 00z Norderney tephi for a 6C with a dewpoint of -4C (representative of North Sea conditions today) gives you convective cloud top of about 2km (6,700ft ish). Inversion then present at this level, with very dry air above. Wiating for the upper cold pool to approach this afternoon/evening to help moisten the profiles a bit more and increase the convective depth.

But yes, inversion could be playing a role with the radar, as can blowing snow and the snow itself make the radar over-read the intensities.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
    1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh probably, Norfolk and Suffolk not paying their bills again :rofl:

That radar always looks such low resolution too. 

Posted

Not sure where to look on radar after this band. Everything looks to be moving in different directions

Posted
    4 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Just been out for a pond\snow inspection and I have to say, despite looking very pretty, the quality is v poor. Melts when I walk on it leaving muddy footprints in the grass:( I think I've been spoilt by too many trips to the Alps, expectations are high - I'd forgotten what English snow was like;) Still time for improvement though, temps about 1.5c here

With the last beast there was no mud to be seen. Was very alpine like :cold-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

0C, strong east wind and persistent light-moderate snow; snow settling here-and-there, but nothing like last time.

PS: Suffolk is still alive!:good:

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
    15 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

I don't believe you, you're lying!!

The blob has to be telling the truth :sorry:

#JUSTICEFORBLOB

what i want to know is, whenever they show snowfall forecasts, Northamptonshire is almost always in the one dry zone that is shown.  Why is that?  Btw there is light snow blowing around in the wind at the moment but hardly anything to get excited about.

Posted
    Just now, snow freak said:

what i want to know is, whenever they show snowfall forecasts, Northamptonshire is almost always in the one dry zone that is shown.  Why is that?  Btw there is light snow blowing around in the wind at the moment but hardly anything to get excited about.

maybe in this event, but remember 10-11 Dec? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and winter storms

Slightly bigger flakes in the wind now.