Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Snow currently 1.5/10 on Murr scale. A few flakes on the shed roof and on the car.

The band seems to stop just as it gets to us here

• Like 1

look at that lot coming into East Anglia bloody hell.. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm snow in cobham.... we had a foot of snow in feb 2009 from the famous Thames streamer..... what will this one produce! 

Just now, Surrey said:

I was just about to post about that! Holt moly. I don't think any of the models forecast PPN that heavy over that area!

Screenshot_20180317-090501.png

• Like 1

Still snowing in Rochester, but very light at the moment. Hope that doesn't do anything to the covering we've got! 1cm (ish) on the garden table.

• Like 1

Been snowing here in SE21 since 8ish - now only paths and roads not white - but suspect not for long

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Is that heading down Kent way ?

Dry as a bone here in Brighton , temp 3.2 dewpoint 0.5 

• Sad 1

Settling everywhere except the roads and pavements.   Does anyone know if the dew points will get low enough to settle there too?  And roughly what time?  There's nothing worse than watching snow falling, going to waste! :nonono::laugh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I’ve been watching that too. It wasn’t picked up by many high res models, which proves the nowcast theory when it comes to snow and easterlies!

11 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Leaving in an hour finger I'd I get there n back ok and the flight isn't cancelled .... about an hour each way for me!!

You should be fine

Proper flakes here now but there is also some sunshine starting to develop as the flat stratus breaks up into a more sunshine and showers type of set up.

• Like 1

We had heavy snow for about 15 mins which laid on cars and grass but not paths, roads or patio. It’s now ver fine snow. Temperature on my fridge thermometer which has been outside since last night says -0.07. Rainham Kent.

D9F8E534-59A8-46A4-B4BA-96ED4B4066EF.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Snow currently 1.5/10 on Murr scale. A few flakes on the shed roof and on the car.

The band seems to stop just as it gets to us here

I wouldn't worry, you'll get plenty Murr snow later from that band! 

(Sorry, that was poor, i'll get my coat and leave:laugh:)

Edited by andy_leics22
  • Haha 1

Can some come give me a push, my sledge is stuck in the mud again.....I should of waited longer :diablo:

• Haha 4

2cm's here in Rayleigh but just a pre curser to what will happen later

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I think the main action will come later as the wave from the south engages with the trough through the Thames Valley. Some areas will see a big surprise from this!

Agreed, I think the amber warning looks solid but this set-up is one that could spring a surprise for sure,I mentioned earlier that the convergence line looks similar to Feb 09. Then you also have the frontal zone close by which I also have to say is unusual.

May well get the classic "showers merging into longer spells of snow" this evening!

• Like 1

Snowing well in East Kent. 4 on the Murr scale with a few gusty blizzards. Magical snowfall I am in awe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Worth noting the convergence line shown on the 00z Sunday FAX chart is at the EXACT same angle as the Feb 09 streamer, through S.London,out into Surrey near Guildford then through Hampshire (broadly along with the amber warning, may need to be slightly 'fattened')

Hi KW, yes remember that event well, FAX was spot on and resulted in a very potent Thames Streamer event. Think you were still living in Thurrock then, and along with Steve M, here in Lee, SE12, was directly downwind of you, on that ENE flow and eagerly awaited, your snow reports. Looking at the HIRLAM, looks to set-up a convergence zone, Thames Estuary/Corridor, as we go further into Saturday and overnight, into Sunday, before fading away, tomorrow morning,

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oaks said:

Is that heading down Kent way ?

No, the direction of flow is changing now behind the front to more Easterly, as it pushes further south the winds will veer round more easterly 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Can some come give me a push, my sledge is stuck in the mud again.....I should of waited longer :diablo:

Borrow lassies goat 

• Haha 2

Very very Light small flakes started in Farnham

temp 1.4

dp -0.3 

BEen snowing for a cpl hours in Cliffe N Kent - did have around 1.5cm but most has melted except on grass and cars. 

Looks incredibly wintery and to think I was having a cuppa in the sunshine yesterday! 

• Like 1

Snowing quite heavily here and starting to settle on grass and roofs. Windy and cold at just 1C, and falling. What a massive change overnight.