Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Just had a bone-chilling walk on the seafront, some icicles are starting to form too. It’s just started snowing.

13 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Looks pretty good countrywide - there are always going to be some losers, especially when it’s not frontal snowfall involved. We got quite lucky yesterday evening with our 5 cms but could just have easily been you in sw London. If you are offering me a slider v a frigid beasterly then there is no question. The slider is generally quite a narrow band viz a viz the whole country. Look at the last 3 weeks - two beasterlies and the West Country fared as well as anywhere! That shows you a beasterly is a much better bet. Of course the best answer to everything is an early jan SSW with good strat/trop coupling! 

My comments were kind of tongue in cheek.  However, the aggregate accumulation from the last two events here is just 6cm (4cm and 2cm).  That’s a poor return from what on paper were amazing synoptics.  For parts of south London, January 2013 (frontal event) for example was much better.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

oh contrare rodney- 230 just updated & looks to be intensifying in the central portion & starting to back build

ooh, aah - wi, wi .. very good:D

Starting to snow in Rochester. Light at the moment, but flakes are bigger than yesterday. 

yep nice back building taking place

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

My high today -0.4 so even on the south coast it's an ice day, but still can't get landing snow lol.

Did we get colder this afternoon cos I noticed the snow that was melting on cars had started to freeze and form icicles :cc_confused:

I wonder if we’re seeing blob extension !

There are some radar returns from behind the main blob, unless this is convection.

• Like 2

Hi all, it does look like one little last hurrah from this brief cold-snap.

That blob of ppn heading in over S Essex and Kent is holding intensity, plus looks like it is heavier than any of the ppn I managed to get in my location yesterday. plus, as Steve said, it seems to be back-building slightly. One to watch.

8 minutes ago, mulzy said:

My comments were kind of tongue in cheek.  However, the aggregate accumulation from the last two events here is just 6cm (4cm and 2cm).  That’s a poor return from what on paper were amazing synoptics.  For parts of south London, January 2013 (frontal event) for example was much better.

Still better than nothing though.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Stevieray1 said:

Are there any blobs following on behind that one? 

Lets all play follow the blob!:laugh:

Are there any blobs following on behind this one or are we hoping for this one to grow?! 

Getting a bit heavier here (Rochester) already. 

im from the south-west! im just spying to see whats happening with the blob of ppn

4 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Did we get colder this afternoon cos I noticed the snow that was melting on cars had started to freeze and form icicles :cc_confused:

Yep while the front was going through here temps dropped, and still dropping. Think max temp was about midayish.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Lets all play follow the blob!:laugh:

It's the most exciting part of my day....

I don't get out much 😂

• Like 1

Its a cold front I think, it is also on the FAX charts maybe its a touch further North than forecast?

Surface pressure chart - Forecast T+12 - Issued at: 00:00 on Sun 18 Mar 2018 Surface pressure chart - Forecast T+24 - Issued at: 00:00 on Sun 18 Mar 2018 

• Like 2

Impressively cold again here in Cobham N Surrey max of 0c and started to drop slightly maybe an ice day which is really notable for time of year and location - just wish we could get even an hour of heavy snow....

Liking this blob now on radar - SE London looks like getting a hit and the back building will help it last longer 😊 Can’t be sure it will settle with temps hovering at freezing but the ground is dry in places - depends on intensity I think 

Light snow just started falling here in St Leonards-on-Sea, currently 1.4c. Kudos to all those who took part in the Hastings half marathon today.

Edit: Snow now becoming moderate.

• Like 2

Just now, Badgers01 said:

Impressively cold again here in Cobham N Surrey max of 0c and started to drop slightly maybe an ice day which is really notable for time of year and location - just wish we could get even an hour of heavy snow....

Your wish may come true if the blob can hold it together even the lighter stuff behind it would provide an hour of snow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leon1 said:

im from the south-west! im just spying to see whats happening with the blob of ppn

Hello mate..how did you get here?:)

Really heavy on sheppey flakes keep getting bigger then smaller where as this come from loving it:yahoo:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Forget easterlies guys - they have not produced for us (cf rest of the country) - our region has fared very poorly.

Next year, look for sliders - that’s the future!!!

Hehe:laugh:, but the sliders just seem to clip the south coast all the time. What comes after the sliders?