Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

1 minute ago, Paul Williams said:

It’s stunning and had the foresight to bring the sledges! As you’ll know it’s pretty hilly here. Still snowing as well. 

woburn right? there next weekend....

4 minutes ago, Paul Williams said:

It’s stunning and had the foresight to bring the sledges! As you’ll know it’s pretty hilly here. Still snowing as well. 

Forgive my ignorance but where is CentreParks?

1 minute ago, Surrey said:

The winds veer back almost to an Easterly from Lunch time so I guess just wait and see what crops up

nmm-35-11-0.png?18-05 nmm-35-14-0.png?18-05 nmm-35-26-0.png?18-05

That shows the heavier ppn over Germany not reaching us until the early hours of Monday.. I'll be at work by then:rolleyes:

We had a little bit more snow overnight so have about 3cm in total. ( had hoped for a bit more) . Currently overcast temp -3c and dp -3c as well. Wind is howling around at moment as well. 

6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think the UKMO need to admit they messed up.

There was clearly no convergence zone , that implies convection which I think puzzled a few in here yesterday .

Cloud associated with the frontal wave would stop convection. It was clear from the sat pics where the proper convection was and it was nowhere near the se.

Anyway on today still a chance of some snow running west out of the Continent more especially towards Channel facing coastal areas ,the fact that the Met Office haven’t said much is probably a good thing  ! 

Totally agree with that Nick,

Said yesterday, that an overhang of cloud from yesterday's morning frontal wave, over the "breeding ground" of the southern N.Sea/Thames Estuary, could inhibit convection initiating, and it proved correct. Shame, as we had an ENE flow and cold enough uppers to set off, a decent Thames Streamer!! And yet the METO persisted with their "phallic" shaped Amber warning, all day/night. They got it spot on, Feb 2009 but they were poor, yesterday and no doubt expected a Streamer to form along, the Thames Corridor. Steve Murr was spot on, when he stated that last night's snowfall, was not Streamer related but due to a small disturbance, that has moved along southern most counties and still giving snowfall, to the west of us, now.

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Forgive my ignorance but where is CentreParks?

Longleat one.. there’s a few others. West Country Warminster. 

Lot of nothing here, had snow for quite a few hours but apart from a dusting it did nothing of note.

21 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Even more snow to come ? 

Have you had enough of snow SQ?

1 hour ago, abruzzi spur said:

Are any of the Reigate posters able to update on conditions back home please?  Thanks.

@abruzzi spur - you can imagine the chaos and carnage here with many kentimetres of snow in Reigate ... (there’s a heavyish dusting - looks pretty but the roads are clear!) sadly not enough to toboggan on - 15 miles west of here it seems they have done well

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We have about 2-3cm on some surfaces in Wandsworth although it hasn't really settled on any patios, pavements etc.

Wasn't very impressed with HIRLAM or EURO4 model performance for my area. Both were suggesting 10-15cm of snow accumulation, our total was more like 3-5cm if you include yesterday mornings snow which melted after a few hours.

We just missed out on the overnight snow which sprung up to the West of London.

Edited by musehead

8 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Have you had enough of snow SQ?

Yep am looking forward to my holiday 

F7D81230-BF9B-4C6A-85B5-758CB138A099.png

• Like 1

Although FI signals are growing to give us a cold snowy Easter!!

• Like 2

Seems we got lucky down here in Hove...again :-)

IMG_20180318_085556_073.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Yep am looking forward to my holiday 

F7D81230-BF9B-4C6A-85B5-758CB138A099.png

You can't be called Snowflake Queen and have had enough of snow:nonono:

No holidays for me this year:cray:

Reading the south west thread looks like some parts have got 15cm. West of us = more in an easterly hmmm. Time to give up methinks ! Still wandering how the met office are so c&&p with their 12-18hour text forecasts. Honestly they are appalling really . And that’s the govt weather dept . I will be writing to my MP demanding action 🧐. Reigate morning report about an inch max on bins and cars . Not life threatening . What’s with the cancelled Heathrow flights ! That’s surely a joke

11 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

@abruzzi spur - you can imagine the chaos and carnage here with many kentimetres of snow in Reigate ... (there’s a heavyish dusting - looks pretty but the roads are clear!) sadly not enough to toboggan on - 15 miles west of here it seems they have done well

I think it's melting as well, our road and pavement was covered at about 2am - disappearing now. Still think the kids will be out in Priory Park to toboggan though!

So have I understood it correctly that the original Amber warning zone was actually some of the least affected?

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

So have I understood it correctly that the original Amber warning zone was actually some of the least affected?

Indeed.

A dusting here in Hailsham. Maybe 1cm on favoured surfaces.

The two “Beasts” have been ultimately disappointing IMBY in terms of snow but, nonetheless, a cracking end to winter.

3 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I think it's melting as well, our road and pavement was covered at about 2am - disappearing now. Still think the kids will be out in Priory Park to toboggan though!

Interestingly, it’s still below freezing according to the grammar school’s weather station:

http://www.weather.rgsinfo.net/index.htm

my guess is that the tarmac hasn’t had a chance to cool down!

Posted (edited)

Just going to post up a couple of radar links. Firstly Meteox.

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

Shows an area ppn., moving out of Germany, into Belgium, which could clip into our region, later.

Now the Dutch radar site.

https://www.buienradar.nl/

Which shows some areas of light "sneeuw", in the same areas, although dissipating could well reinvigorate , when it crosses the southern N.Sea/Channel.

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

You can't be called Snowflake Queen and have had enough of snow:nonono:

No holidays for me this year:cray:

Maybe time for a name change I do love snow but someone has took the flake out of my snow :unsure2:

Snizzling again here, but not feeling inspired to get out of bed and go sledging. Guess we'll have a long drive to find a decent slope. Listening to traffic reports to guage the best spots, sounds like the Guilford area has done well

• Like 2