Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Its not a thames streamer - Frontal wave alligned down the thames just like 2009 ( although that did start as a streamed )

Rem 2009 it stalles then kicked North bringing milder air in & melting our 30cm

What is interesting is on UKV it is 100% a streamer,but there is alot of embedded convection as well, it kinda is like 2009 in that respect, having looked at a radar image from 23z that day, its not that dissimilar.Biggest difference is we haven't got as long with the favourable conditions...IF the models are right about the evolution of the low...

• Like 1

wind is all over the shop, was easterly, then went northerly, then north easterly, now back to easterly:cc_confused: snow is settling on the hooves:cc_confused: glad i got my nice thick winter goat out

6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Its not a thames streamer - Frontal wave alligned down the thames just like 2009 ( although that did start as a streamed )

Rem 2009 it stalles then kicked North bringing milder air in & melting our 30cm

At least there won’t be melt this time .

Looking at dew points over north north east France behind the front the dew points are still below zero.

Snow heavier still and beginning to settle on the Road. We’re not in an Amber warning area so I’m thinking maybe an adjustment North is occurring?

8 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Yeah that must be it, i guess. I thought being on high ground might make a difference but obviously not.

I’m near central London with no elevation and it’s settling. Although a bit of a microclimate it seems.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

wind is all over the shop, was easterly, then went northerly, then north easterly, now back to easterly:cc_confused: snow is settling on the hooves:cc_confused: glad i got my nice thick winter goat out

Looking south westerly now I'm sending a greyhound massive chance Monday at GY...Plse melt, go mild

NOICE

1535.thumb.jpg.0957ba1889dacd1e47b0ab3a039d467b.jpg 1735.thumb.png.5daa8ab94b35836c9f6553d5f46aa909.png

• Like 2

The radar is coming to life now. Lots of mechanics altering direction of precipitation, so anything can happen. By that I mean, we have steering winds from the ENE and then the push from the Continent associated with the wave, so expect to see some fluctuations over the next few hours 

So is that blob of the Essex coast just an radar anomaly?

It all seems to ironic, doesn't it? If they forecast either thunder or snow, bugger-all happens. But, horrible, cold rain - Bob's your uncle!:good:

7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Image result for Goat Herder Meme

1 minute ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Looking south westerly now I'm sending a greyhound massive chance Monday at GY...Plse melt, go mild

Are you still going on about that greyhound !  :D

Didn’t you have another one running last week?

Just now, Tom Jarvis said:

Not completely, but it is making it stronger than it likely is. Going to be a long night folks, things are steadily getting going still.

Posted (edited)

Looking at the Met Office radar again ... still indications of a low or trough in the far SE, centred on where there is little or no snow at present. Snow on the East Anglia coast is edging north, while off the coast of eastbourne it's heading ENE or EN.  In Surrey it's edging south well into west sussex. Or is all this to do with a France Low; e.g. or a perturbation of it...

Edited by Come rain snow or shine

Anyone watching the Bolton game!!

2 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Nope coming down thick and fast now and finally settling on the paths and side roads

• Like 2

Building right above my head big flakes now 

If you want a bit o' chocolate on your....join our club!:shok:

• Like 1

Just now, lawrenk said:

Anyone watching the Bolton game!!

Nearly as bad as watching Spurs..but not quite

3 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

good luck, hope it wins, will you have a few quid on it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Nuisance value snizzle over the last few hours here amounting to little (though my decking is now sugar coated!).

I think we need to be patient - the amber warning area looks about right to me and this is now being reflected in the latest radar returns.

-0.6C

Edited by mulzy

Just now, lassie23 said:

good luck, hope it wins, will you have a few quid on it.

If it's on mate more than a few quid...pm me if you want a bet /name

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Much bigger flakes coming down now just as daylight skips away can see them without the need of a lamppst 

Canvey Island 

Edited by Essex Chelle
  • Like 3

Nothing here and now not expecting much tonight 

2 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Looking at the Met Office radar again ... still indications of a low or trough in the far SE, centred on where there is little or no snow at present. Snow on the East Anglia coast is edging north, while off the coast of eastboutne it's heading ENE or EN.  In Surrey it's edging south well into west sussex.

You can clearly see this evolution if you look at the radar, and on https://darksky.net/forecast/51.3918,1.4001/us12/en