Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Inversion Maybe ? A la 2009 ?

Oh no Paul, not Polystyrenegate,again!! Another conspiracy against, you Southenders!! Cheers mate.

Regards,

Tom.

Light-Moderate snow for a couple of hours here now, 1-2cm on the grass etc but absolutely nothing settling on roads/pavements

14 minutes ago, starstream said:

I'm nr Danbury , between Maldon and Chelmsford. V strong winds , fairly big flakes, I anticipate #bigblob to reach me within the hour.

Oh I know Woodham Walter, weirdly from a programme called Forensic Files because of that yacht murder. So weird when I've lived nearby nearly all my life to have no idea until I saw a programme from the US! Such an interesting case.

Still snowing here in South Woodham, still not settling on roads though. Come on blob.

Really quite big flakes in Bromley now it’s settling quicker on the grass than it has been this morning so far - still need temperatures down for settling on paths and road

• Like 1

Just been out for a pond\snow inspection and I have to say, despite looking very pretty, the quality is v poor. Melts when I walk on it leaving muddy footprints in the grass:( I think I've been spoilt by too many trips to the Alps, expectations are high - I'd forgotten what English snow was like;) Still time for improvement though, temps about 1.5c here

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Unlike the last Beast, the snow today has more water content, so is sticking nicely to trees and fences, so certainly making for some photogenic tree covered in snow scenes this weekend. Still coming down moderately here in Croydon with about 1-2cm on the shed roof and in patches on grass, still not settling on roads, pavements or similar hard ground surfaces

Nick - do you think there is a better chance of covering roads/pavements/concrete after dark (given the snow)?

5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I'm guessing a problem with the radar site, you can see where suddenly the precip becomes lighter in an almost straight line on the northern side, suggesting a radar issue to me of some sorts rather than anything weather related.

1 minute ago, TomSE12 said:

Oh no Paul, not Polystyrenegate,again!! Another conspiracy against, you Southenders!! Cheers mate.

Regards,

Tom.

Lol Tom

This time we already have 2cm whereas that one we blanked, so we done better already, Id bank that

• Like 2

Just now, kold weather said:

I'm guessing a problem with the radar site, you can see where suddenly the precip becomes lighter in an almost straight line on the northern side, suggesting a radar issue to me of some sorts rather than anything weather related.

Yh probably, Norfolk and Suffolk not paying their bills again :rofl:

5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Adjusting the 00z Norderney tephi for a 6C with a dewpoint of -4C (representative of North Sea conditions today) gives you convective cloud top of about 2km (6,700ft ish). Inversion then present at this level, with very dry air above. Wiating for the upper cold pool to approach this afternoon/evening to help moisten the profiles a bit more and increase the convective depth.

But yes, inversion could be playing a role with the radar, as can blowing snow and the snow itself make the radar over-read the intensities.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh probably, Norfolk and Suffolk not paying their bills again :rofl:

That radar always looks such low resolution too. 

Not sure where to look on radar after this band. Everything looks to be moving in different directions

4 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Just been out for a pond\snow inspection and I have to say, despite looking very pretty, the quality is v poor. Melts when I walk on it leaving muddy footprints in the grass:( I think I've been spoilt by too many trips to the Alps, expectations are high - I'd forgotten what English snow was like;) Still time for improvement though, temps about 1.5c here

With the last beast there was no mud to be seen. Was very alpine like :cold-emoji:

Snow now on side roads now. West kinsdown.

• Like 1

0C, strong east wind and persistent light-moderate snow; snow settling here-and-there, but nothing like last time.

PS: Suffolk is still alive!:good:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

I don't believe you, you're lying!!

The blob has to be telling the truth :sorry:

#JUSTICEFORBLOB

what i want to know is, whenever they show snowfall forecasts, Northamptonshire is almost always in the one dry zone that is shown.  Why is that?  Btw there is light snow blowing around in the wind at the moment but hardly anything to get excited about.

Just now, snow freak said:

what i want to know is, whenever they show snowfall forecasts, Northamptonshire is almost always in the one dry zone that is shown.  Why is that?  Btw there is light snow blowing around in the wind at the moment but hardly anything to get excited about.

maybe in this event, but remember 10-11 Dec? :)

Sucks to be in the SW of our region, we get all the fun after everyone else but optimistic we will get something.

If only this was true...

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 10.12.14.png

The patchy cover on concrete at the front of my property has expanded since I last posted.

1 minute ago, snow freak said:

Because you're quite a long way, from a source of moisture, i.e. North Sea, air becomes too dry.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

cant lie abit disappointed so far

really?  The cold front wasn’t supposed to do much was it?  Wet ground and all that.....

hasnt been this much interest in a blob since the odeon, Leicester Square, 1958! 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

I dont know if this has already been reported for Ramsgate, but it has not stopped snowing since 7-30am and roofs are covered along with grass and there are icicles aprox 25mm long hanging from the side of our shed roof !!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

cant lie abit disappointed so far

...but remember the real action is meant to start this evening (as per amber warning).

Snow lighter now in RP but temperatures stubbornly refusing to go below freezing.

0.1C