Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Still very light tiny weeny snow here on the West (Farnham) 

temps are dropping fast though 

• Like 1

Really good radar returns between Reading and Chertsey at the moment, probably some good settling snow there!

Tonight still could go any which way, probably 5-10cms is a good middle ground, but still significant risk IMO of alot more, especially if a streamer really kicks in later.

• Like 1

Moderate snow continues in RP.  Most surfaces bar concrete/pavements/road and my decking has a slight covering now.

0.2C

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, paget said:

Still very light tiny weeny snow here on the West (Farnham) 

temps are dropping fast though 

Radar looking good to your/our north at the moment, frontal system has strengthend again nearby.

Man, what a great forecast from the HIRLAM so far, fair play to it this is exactly what it showed, almost perfect timing as well!

• Like 2

Temps now at 0c around the London area, I see we still have +1c in central London. Got a couple of cm here, still nothing on roads though, maybe that will happen later on when the streamer kicks in.

I like warmth in mid March but loving this late treat, I wish that this could happen on Christmas day more often, looks lovely out there. Enjoy your snow everyone. :hi:

• Like 1

Sugar dusting here in Epsom - started to settle and accumulate very fast in the 10mins of heavier stuff but now back to the lighter stuff which doesn't do a lot. That blob over E.Anglea is growing into a monster - coming this way??!!x

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Radar looking good to your/our north at the moment, frontal system has strengthend again nearby.

Man, what a great forecast from the HIRLAM so far, fair play to it this is exactly what it showed, almost perfect timing as well!

Did HIRLAM actually forecast the blob?

Although it’s snowing heavier it’s actually melting more here. Nothing on pavements and roads and grass losing the snow. Interesting - thought it’d get thicker. Must be the daytime warming effect. Personally I don’t expect any accumulation til tonight for my area 

Edited by c00ps

1 minute ago, weathergeek said:

Sugar dusting here in Epsom - started to settle and accumulate very fast in the 10mins of heavier stuff but now back to the lighter stuff which doesn't do a lot. That blob over E.Anglea is growing into a monster - coming this way??!!x

That blob is one to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

Been snowing for over two hours now, roads look ok .some big flakes at times  blowing around in a strong very cold wind, so this wind is blowing settling snow around making it look like little has settled.but nothing is melting

• Like 2

1 minute ago, andy_leics22 said:

Did HIRLAM actually forecast the blob?

Not in the way it is currently presenting, but it does have an area of higher precip near the Essex coast for late morning-early afternoon.

Wind is pretty strong here at the moment, making the light snow I have blow every which way!

• Like 1

Moderate small flakes in H.Bay now and paths are getting covered. Temp down to 0.5c

Herne Bay on North Kent coast is very windy blowing in mix sleety snow some settling on roofs grass not cars its at present wet snow not the powdery of recent

8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Really good radar returns between Reading and Chertsey at the moment, probably some good settling snow there!

Tonight still could go any which way, probably 5-10cms is a good middle ground, but still significant risk IMO of alot more, especially if a streamer really kicks in later.

I’m under that blob. It’s only settling on the grass, cars etc. The pavements and roads are very wet.

Seems HIRLAM is doing well from what’s being said - hoping what they’re forecasting for later today is right too :)

2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Not in the way it is currently presenting, but it does have an area of higher precip near the Essex coast for late morning-early afternoon.

Wind is pretty strong here at the moment, making the light snow I have blow every which way!

Front seems to be sinking through a bit faster than the high res models predicted and then we need to work out what is going on to our east. Anyone in n Suffolk/s Norfolk able to report?? 

• Like 1

If  the radar right things could get interesting here soon

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gazb21 said:

Sat at  in tonbridge , snow falling in a strong wind. 

1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Front seems to be sinking through a bit faster than the high res models predicted and then we need to work out what is going on to our east. Anyone in n Suffolk/s Norfolk able to report?? 

Guys I’m travelling back from Egypt to Gatwick st around midnight tonight (that’s landing time) what you think of my chances of the flight going ahead??? 

I'm nr Danbury , between Maldon and Chelmsford. V strong winds , fairly big flakes, I anticipate #bigblob to reach me within the hour.

• Like 2

Light-moderate snow is now accumulating on bushes, grass etc in Wandsworth but solid surfaces are still wet.