Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Wife reports heavyish snow at work (Care Home, Elmstead Lane, Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border) and tells me a streamer must be starting, as "it's coming from the East". WTF, I've turned her into, Michael Fish.:D I told her not quite yet but def. possibility, later on.

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Thought he could pull you thru the mud eating the grass on the way ? Makes a fresh path for your snow when you get some :pardon:

If we can get to the pub I'll probably ride it back home :rofl:

Is that lot over EA heading directly west or more SW?

Now got some quite heavy snow in Dover, was expecting light stuff. Not settling on roads yet, but will do soon if it keeps up, the surface temps will drop.

Is the blob even real? Any reports out of Ipswich/suffolk/Norfolk in general for example of moderate snowfall?

In Sandbanks where it is grey and rainy at present; woken up in the night by heavy rain (hail?) against the window. Driving back to Surbiton at lunch time, excited to arrive to snow and a lamp post watch this evening. Is there snow yet on the roads in the SW London/Surrey anywhere?

Edit, just reading back it appears Farnham, Cobham and Staines are already reporting snow. Re @kold weather and 2009, that is still my favourite streamer for high impact in a short time, I just wish it could have lasted like 2010.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

10/10 here now crazy snow!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, snow raven said:

Settling everywhere except the roads and pavements.   Does anyone know if the dew points will get low enough to settle there too?  And roughly what time?  There's nothing worse than watching snow falling, going to waste! :nonono::laugh:

Hi Leeanne, 

Lateset dew points, from Meteociel they should continue to drop, from the east, during the afternoon, aiding any snow falling to settle.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php

Regards,

Tom:hi:

• Thanks 1

Blobwatch - years of watching this kind of thing on radars has thought me never to assume anything will happen. I’ve seen tstorms and snowstorms manage to dissipate when it looked like they had no choice but to strike me! 

BLOBWATCH UPDATE!

I've just compared it from 8:15am to 9:20am. Look how much it's grown in the last hour... Genuinely didn't expect to see this developing as it is so far. More importantly, is anyone currently under it?! If so, how heavy is it?

Screenshot_20180317-092653.png

Screenshot_20180317-092719.png

• Like 1

Sat at lake in tonbridge , snow falling in a strong wind. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Surrey said:

10/10 here now crazy snow!

Band has been perfectly forecasted by HIRLAM, once again been very impressed by this model thus far!

Front strengthening on its western side as it heads through Berkshire and Surrey.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

In Sandbanks where it is grey and rainy at present; woken up in the night by heavy rain (hail?) against the window. Driving back to Surbiton at lunch time, excited to arrive to snow and a lamp post watch this evening. Is there snow yet on the roads in the SW London/Surrey anywhere?

Driving back down the A3, at tolworth. Very heavy at present. Settling on roofs

• Like 2

Maybe Suffolk has been wiped out by the blob which explains the lack of posts from that area!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

BLOBWATCH UPDATE!

I've just compared it from 8:15am to 9:20am. Look how much it's grown in the last hour... Genuinely didn't expect to see this developing as it is so far. More importantly, is anyone currently under it?! If so, how heavy is it?

May be slightly north of that blob, currently small flakes blowing about aimlessly but sky looks very white and laden.

40 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Worth noting the convergence line shown on the 00z Sunday FAX chart is at the EXACT same angle as the Feb 09 streamer, through S.London,out into Surrey near Guildford then through Hampshire (broadly along with the amber warning, may need to be slightly 'fattened')

I remember that event well, it was excellent here in Ockendon. This morning we have an inch or so everywhere except roads and pavements and it's been snowing since quite early, some of it huge flakes! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

Driving back down the A3, at tolworth. Very heavy at present. Settling on roofs

Thank you for that. Of course I have full confidence that the M3, M25 and A3 will continue to function flawlessly in the next few hours... (Wonders whether to ditch beach walk and visit to the Ferry café in favour of a quick exit)

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Any update about the precipitation moving up from France. Thanks 

8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Is the blob even real? Any reports out of Ipswich/suffolk/Norfolk in general for example of moderate snowfall?

yeah the blob is real there getting blizzard conditions

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Agreed, I think the amber warning looks solid but this set-up is one that could spring a surprise for sure,I mentioned earlier that the convergence line looks similar to Feb 09. Then you also have the frontal zone close by which I also have to say is unusual.

May well get the classic "showers merging into longer spells of snow" this evening!

Several hours of snow overnight could bring some substantial accumulations. Definitely one to watch!

Snow eased off for now in north London. We have a couple of cm’s in the back garden, still no settling on roads and pavements but it has settled everywhere else. 

Awaiting the “blob”.

14 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Wife reports heavyish snow at work (Care Home, Elmstead Lane, Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border) and tells me a streamer must be starting, as "it's coming from the East". WTF, I've turned her into, Michael Fish.:D I told her not quite yet but def. possibility, later on.

Regards,

Tom.

You'll see her on the local weather in a few hours... "some users on Netweather reported there was a blob on the way. Well don't worry, there isn't" 

*whole of the South East is buried by 6pm* :laugh::laugh:

Edited by andy_leics22
  • Like 1

Heavy to moderate snow here in Wainscott, Medway. Couple of cms o  grass and starting to settle on roofs but not roads pavements yet.

• Like 1