Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Well, they had to wait until our BFTE part 1 was over to get their nor'easter, it was very mild (blowtorch) for them while we experienced bitterly cold temperatures late Feb / 1st few days of March, then the Scandi block which brought our cold migrated to NE Canada ending our cold but allowing the nor'easters to develop for NE U.S.A.

I think on the 20th or 21st Feb, the thermometer hit 26 degrees in New York hitting a new record.
The temp here was 14 degrees last Friday, and 0 degrees on the Saturday, which is a pretty extreme by UK standards, but this variation seems to happen quite regularly in the eastern US. If you lived there, then you'd need to check the weather forecast every night before travelling to work the next day, to ensure you were suitably dressed with a decent coat, hat and gloves etc. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
3 hours ago, coram said:

That's my main criticism as well. You can't see where the snow and cloud start and end.

Yes - farcical. The beeb been picked up on it and one day said the cloud had been removed so we could see where the snow was and was expected to be.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Snow now gone - it was nice whilst it lasted but it came too late in the season to give us a nice prolonged spell, so putting in a request to the snow gods that for next winter season they arrange for the stratospheric warming event to occur on my birthday in mid December. 

What I learned from this last episode was the effect that retained heat in the ground does have an effect and even when it is below freezing there is some melt caused by this. 

So what I would like would be the development of a good Scandi High with a build up of the cold and snow in Scandinavia, western Russia and the continent, to enable it to get well and truly established.

For the first few days, dry with some quite intensive frosts to allow the ground to get well frozen, to be followed by a low skitting up the channel to allow for the first decent fall of snow.

Also whilst there is still a good temperature anomaly between the sea surface temp of the Channel/North Sea and the uppers, this should allow for a good Thames streamer and with a max temp of -5C, this should be good powder snow with some drifting. 

Hang onto this situation until the end of February, then let the high slip to the south west, bringing us continued dry sunny conditions to allow the temperature to rise and the snow to be melted soley by the power of the sun.

That's much better than the damp horrible westerly's which bring cloud and advection fog making it miserable. 

From there we can advance into a nice fine, gradually becoming warmer, Spring with lots of sunshine. 

Yippee, I think I've got that sorted. 

• Like 6

Posted
31 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I was surprisingly flaky this morning:crazy:

I have to start getting ready to go out soon, i've already had to rescue baby today, i put him in a tray with some small seeds because he is just learning to peck, turned my back for TWO SECONDS. turn back, NO BABY!. :shok: He can't fly. Looked all round for a couple of minutes. Found him inside the music system drawer, the drawer was slightly open, he must have climbed up the seed tray, fallen off the table and whoooosssshhhh  straight into the drawer.:rofl:

Edited by JennyJane1
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

I was surprisingly flaky this morning:crazy:

You need some of this, Lassie?

2f642d85db2d440e5e52361e2f4b1253.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

You need some of this, Lassie?

2f642d85db2d440e5e52361e2f4b1253.jpg

lol i never knew vosene still existed:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, JennyJane1 said:

I have to start getting ready to go out soon, i've already had to rescue baby today, i put him in a tray with some small seeds because he is just learning to peck, turned my back for TWO SECONDS. turn back, NO BABY!. :shok: He can't fly. Looked all round for a couple of minutes. Found him inside the music system drawer, the drawer was slightly open, he must have climbed up the seed tray, fallen off the table and whoooosssshhhh  straight into the drawer.:rofl:

What - no goats, rats, sheep or rabbits to add to our imaginary menagerie today?:shok:

Posted

Here's a snow/ice cover map of Europe for Sunday. Once again the Southern half of Britain and Eire fared particularly well. There's been 17 days of snow cover in this location so far this winter, not exceptional (2009 and 2010 had 25 - 30 days) but well above average.

Screen shot 2018-03-20 at 15.30.08.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
22 hours ago, Bryn Webster said:

First proper winter living in Cambridge, and what strikes me is the sheer lack of snow that falls compared to the Welsh mountains where I was raised (Parents recorded 7 inches in the garden this morning)

I have been impressed this year with the widespread ice days however :cold:

Cambridge seems to be sheltered from all directions and lacks altitude.....however....I am sure you can tell me there are worse places to be for snow amounts on average (west of Cambridge seems to be a snow shadow towards Bedford way too?)

Here lol, best we've managed is about five centimetres, Friday first easterly, which was gone the next day lol. Other than that it's fallen and wet the ground or left about mm even after a 12 hour fall lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 hours ago, JennyJane1 said:

psst!.. I'd be careful if I was you.

Hikers have recovered lassies phone up Ben Nevis where he'd been searching for his goat and here's what they found on it..

See the source image

Apparently, word in the skies is that you're keeping a baby seagull captive and they're pi**ed.

Unfortunately for lassie, neither him and his goat have been seen since the attack. :cray:

Posted

Sidney taking this opportunity to gather nuts in preparation for the next beast. 

Image result for funny birds

Posted
1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

Sidney taking this opportunity to gather nuts in preparation for the next beast. 

Image result for funny birds

It's coming - the weather goat says so!

Image result for weather goat

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Ze goats are coming!

Image result for nazi goat

That's a funny looking goat:cc_confused: lol

Posted
6 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

That's a funny looking goat:cc_confused: lol

It's a triceragoat!:unknw:

Posted
2 hours ago, D.V.R said:

psst!.. I'd be careful if I was you.

Hikers have recovered lassies phone up Ben Nevis where he'd been searching for his goat and here's what they found on it..

Apparently, word in the skies is that you're keeping a baby seagull captive and they're pi**ed.

Unfortunately for lassie, neither him and his goat have been seen since the attack. :cray:

Lol, my seagull's an adult, I've had him for years.

Posted
Just now, JennyJane1 said:

How do you tame them?

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

How do you tame them?

I've had him since the day he was born, he got tame through being handfed for several weeks and being carried around in my arms, he still thinks wild seagulls don't fly, they just find a convenient human to carry them.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

Regardless, they're still coming for you:diablo: