Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
11 minutes ago, kentcloud said:

Early red sky at dawn has quickly given way to some light showery rain, the wind has fallen light and both the temperature and DP are positive. Back to some kind of normality at last down here on the coast of Kent :)

Was woken by rain on the windows at 5 here. By 6 it was merely overcast. Sunshine appearing now as the cloud departs southwest. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting article by Bill Giles unhappy with what the BBC have done to their forecasts:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/20/bbc-weather-severe-disappointment-sacrifices-uk-europe-veteran/

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Another dusting of snow here st 6am from a passing snow shower.

Another snow shower just started near Brighton.

+1c now and -2c overnight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Well builder made a good start, yesterday, on changing bathroom into a "wet room" shower, adaptation!! After Social Services agreed to install this for me, after my Haemorrhagic Stroke.

But have had to start using commode and "jugs" again, for bathroom visits. Wonderful memories, NOT!! :D

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Interesting article by Bill Giles unhappy with what the BBC have done to their forecasts:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/20/bbc-weather-severe-disappointment-sacrifices-uk-europe-veteran/

He's right. I think the Met Office, being the original providers, gave added value to BBC forecasts; with the access to different models and the pool of human expertise. 

Now, frankly, there's little point in watching a BBC forecast - you might as well just come to sites like this, or work it out yourself!

• Like 9

Posted
13 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Well builder made a good start, yesterday, on changing bathroom into a "wet room" shower, adaptation!! After Social Services agreed to install this for me, after my Haemorrhagic Stroke.

But have had to start using commode and "jugs" again, for bathroom visits. Wonderful memories, NOT!! :D

Regards,

Tom.

I hope it all goes well for you and the later Spring and Summer can be much more easy and enjoyable.

One of my brothers had a brain haemorrhage, in his early thirties, five years ago, so I understand just how debilitating and life changing it can be. :(

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Steve C said:

He's right. I think the Met Office, being the original providers, gave added value to BBC forecasts; with the access to different models and the pool of human expertise. 

Now, frankly, there's little point in watching a BBC forecast - you might as well just come to sites like this, or work it out yourself!

I mentioned on the BBC Blog that the TV forecast and website went from the best to one of the worst overnight, it might be saving money but the quality and accuracy has gone, might just as well scrap it like they did to their Travel section on the website..

Edited by kentcloud
  • Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Agree, and difference between cloud and snow is very confusing!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Regards,

Tom.

Best of luck Tom, I seem to remember you going through this a few years back as well and having to deal with a leak :)

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Agree, and difference between cloud and snow is very confusing!

That's my main criticism as well. You can't see where the snow and cloud start and end.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, kentcloud said:

Best of luck Tom, I seem to remember you going through this a few years back as well and having to deal with a leak :)

Hi Kc (or Bj), yes that was when I was staying over with my children, in Chislehurst, when they moved into their new build. That has a "wet room", too. My son, Antony, has very advanced Huntington;s Disease and my daughter, Hayley, also has the mutant gene, and will go on to develop HD, in the future.

Yes there were many "snagging" problems, with the property, one of which involved a wrong angle, on the "wet room" floor, which resulted in a flood on the upstairs, landing, causing a few hundreds of pounds worth of damage, to newly laid carpet and underlay.

Fortunately, my son and daughter received compensation from Taylor and Wimpey, via their Housing Association. Their Internal Lift, didn't work either, as too weak a battery was fitted and downstairs lights, kept "tripping". Everything's fine now and the property, is in a lovely location, in Chislehurst,

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 3

Posted

Jeez Tom! :(

Hopefully that new treatment for HD might come in time for your daughter?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

drizzle here currently, but the icicles and patches of snow are clinging on.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve C said:

Jeez Tom! :(

Hopefully that new treatment for HD might come in time for your daughter?

Yes thanks Steve, 

The news that came through before Xmas, regarding initial results, from a Drug Trail, involving HD, was very encouraging. Indeed Geneticists have hailed it as the biggest breakthrough in Genetic research, in 60 years. The Trial showed the drug stopped the mutant gene forming harmful plaque/protein, on the brain, similar to what happens in the brains of Alzheimer's sufferers. 

I must admit, to shedding a tear, when hearing the news.

The drug company, are now conducting a larger trial, to make sure, like the initial trial, it produces the same results and no toxic side effects are caused. This has to be ascertained before any licence for the drug, can be approved.

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Pleasant morning here, already up to the dizzy heights of 4C lol with remaining snow cover rapidly diminishing. Plenty of blue sky and sunshine, hopefully a lot more of that to come.

Posted
1 hour ago, lottiekent said:

A very interesting article.Agree with all that Giles says and I will add some of my own thoughts to that.

Presenters don't seem to be trained meteorologists anymore, a lack of knowledge on their subject matter is clear with many of them,especialy the BBC regionals.

Where are Meteogroup sourcing their forecasts from? They clearly don't have access to the Met office supercomputers.

The BBC forecasts still use the Met office weather warnings, and that is often at odds with their own on screen forecasts.Highlighted especially in the last two cold outbreaks.

A real bias to show temperatures on the 'warm side' over winter in any freeze.Notable yesterday when the regional forecast had my area reaching 6c and a happy face proclaiming the 'milder Monday'.

Publicly available weather charts could easily show those values were never likely.

I wonder if Meteogroup will feel 'moved' to ramp up the temperature by 2 or 3 degrees during a summer heatwave? I doubt that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Pleasant morning here, already up to the dizzy heights of 4C lol with remaining snow cover rapidly diminishing. Plenty of blue sky and sunshine, hopefully a lot more of that to come.

Great , thanks for getting us back to weather chat ! 5c here in Cobham sunny and breezy definitely feels like spring !

Posted
10 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Great , thanks for getting us back to weather chat ! 5c here in Cobham sunny and breezy definitely feels like spring !

Cheers for the great insight.

If you click on relevant tabs, this site gives you just about the same information! 

www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

• Like 4

Posted

Rapid thaw happening here (Sevenoaks) - I reckon all of the snow will have gone by midday.
Looking at the models, the Easter weekend may deliver further snow from a northerly direction, although I'm ready for some spring warmth and sunshine now. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Stop being silly.. This thread would be dead if members only came on here to talk about the weather.. 

Well said, silly and a touch insensitive I would say.

Still being plagued by some quite pokey showers here at Greatstone but at least we have some sunshine in between today, temperature racing up to 5c now :)

Edited by kentcloud
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

4th Nor'Easter in the month of March will hit the New York, Boston and Washington area tomorrow. Forecasters are predicting a foot of snow. What an amazing month of cold weather for both the eastern US and Western Europe. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
2 hours ago, lottiekent said:

Despite not forgiving him for being duty forecaster the evening before the infamous Great Storm of 1987 and failing to forecast it, I agree with his sentiments totally, British Isles way too small to decipher what's happening on a local scale, can't delineate easily on the maps where's clear and sunny, and more importantly, have not seen a lightning symbol on the map!

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

4th Nor'Easter in the month of March will hit the New York, Boston and Washington area tomorrow. Forecasters are predicting a foot of snow. What an amazing month of cold weather for both the eastern US and Western Europe. 

Well, they had to wait until our BFTE part 1 was over to get their nor'easter, it was very mild (blowtorch) for them while we experienced bitterly cold temperatures late Feb / 1st few days of March, then the Scandi block which brought our cold migrated to NE Canada ending our cold but allowing the nor'easters to develop for NE U.S.A.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
8 minutes ago, kentcloud said:

Well said, silly and a touch insensitive I would say.

Still be plagued by some quite pokey showers here at Greatstone but at least we have some sunshine in between today, temperature racing up to 5c now :)

Oh don’t post current observations or talk about the weather in here that would be silly  ! It apparently shows a lack of insight and we can all just get the info of a website ! 

It is however windy here too in Surrey and now the sun has gone in so feels less spring like already !