Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
40 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

You should rename yourself tenacious snow hunter/seeker:D

Certainly something think I do myself harm living where I am. :D 

It’s very cold high of 3C dropped to 2.9C with sunny spells, it’s quite nice but it feels bitter out there. Ne'er cast a clout till May be out, April can be pretty cold although often not cold enough far north not so.

I’d happily take this our best bet now. ?

943518E2-0992-460B-B68E-0DE28EA9EDF0.thumb.png.ccd73f9731364413ea975b0c29ba26f0.pngE12DB193-9004-40DA-B02C-F1D825BED156.thumb.png.64a3a79fdf80848f67eb4850e3e72963.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

large icicles forming here, but the snow is thawing steadily.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
20 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

i've rebooked my hospital appointment for tomorrow.

I don't think you'll have any issues with snow tomorrow ( hope I haven't jinxed you )

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Skies have cleared here allowing some lovely sunshine but still very cold at 3C. Snow rapidly disappearing. Fabulous while it lasted, would love some nice mild Spring weather now. Though probably be April until we see that. No more snow, please!

I think we'll have to look beyond April for any decent warmth.. Someone posted a temp anomaly map for April earlier and the whole of the British isles was blue..

Image result for snow meme

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

So beast from the east part 3,and hopefully 3rd time lucky for the few of us,who haven't faired very well during part's 1 and 2,still,it was snowing lightly this morning,so thats 3 days on the spin,and ive still got a smidgen of snow left,so thats 3 days of lying snow,all in all,I think thats around 9 days of snow and laying snow,much better than the last 5 years,hopefully with the low solar minima,we may have a few tasty winters

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

I would be interested to see the latest an ice day has been recorded in SE England?

Looks certain to be achieved today.

Biggin Hill never got above 0c and certainly won't now before midnight.

Managed 1c on the Sussex coast but feels like -10c!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, cobbett said:

Low confidence but it has been consistent recently in showing similar synoptics. IMO way too early to worry them - I'm sure they have enough to worry about lol

I will just keep a close eye for now, which I was doing anyway! 

1 hour ago, JennyJane1 said:

With the right colour clothes, maybe deep wine red or dark velvet blue, a wedding photo against the snow could be stunning.

Oh I've always wanted to shoot an actual white wedding, almost had one just before Christmas when we did have a shower when the bride was getting ready but that's as close I've been.
The main thing is the light when there's lying snow is so very flattering, it's a natural diffuser!
The worry is getting there (and the guests getting there), thankfully this wedding is all in one venue so no stress of travel between places at least! 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

I would be interested to see the latest an ice day has been recorded in SE England?

That would be yes the latest day ever recorded extraordinary I’m 99.9% sure. Think in 2013 we managed an ice day(s) mid month but that was earlier than now? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

That would be yes the latest day ever recorded extraordinary I’m 99.9% sure. Think in 2013 we managed an ice day(s) mid month but that was earlier than now? 

And, given the assumed/presumed effects of both AGW and the upcoming Solar minimum, who knows what the next five years will bring?:unknw:

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

And, given the assumed/presumed effects of both AGW and the upcoming Solar minimum, who knows what the next five years will bring?:unknw:

I think this winter heralds a change in prevailing direction of winters since 13/14 this winter has reinvigorated my winter interest, I must say I was not looking forward particularity to winter 17/18, but my faith has been restored. I will be very surpirsed if by 2020 we will have not seen an exceptional cold spell with longevity.

• Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

I read somewhere recently (I think it was on TWO) that the latest ice day was the 26th April. Unsure what year though. 

Posted
Just now, SnowBorder said:

I read somewhere recently (I think it was on TWO) that the latest ice day was the 26th April. Unsure what year though. 

1981 was certainly very cold. In MK, it was <2C and snow lay all day.

Posted
11 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

Probably 1981 doubt that was in the southeast however regional point of view? 

Posted

Guess what? Chance of 'drizzly showers' tonight and, should we be really luck, some more 'drizzly showers' tomorrow...

Does that get my goat? Too right it does!:drunk-emoji:

Posted

First proper winter living in Cambridge, and what strikes me is the sheer lack of snow that falls compared to the Welsh mountains where I was raised (Parents recorded 7 inches in the garden this morning)

I have been impressed this year with the widespread ice days however :cold:

Cambridge seems to be sheltered from all directions and lacks altitude.....however....I am sure you can tell me there are worse places to be for snow amounts on average (west of Cambridge seems to be a snow shadow towards Bedford way too?)

Edited by Bryn Webster

Posted
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Certainly something think I do myself harm living where I am. :D 

It’s very cold high of 3C dropped to 2.9C with sunny spells, it’s quite nice but it feels bitter out there. Ne'er cast a clout till May be out, April can be pretty cold although often not cold enough far north not so.

I’d happily take this our best bet now. ?

943518E2-0992-460B-B68E-0DE28EA9EDF0.thumb.png.ccd73f9731364413ea975b0c29ba26f0.pngE12DB193-9004-40DA-B02C-F1D825BED156.thumb.png.64a3a79fdf80848f67eb4850e3e72963.png

Am I the only one who can never find the UK on these charts, its like one those magic eye paintings, hold it sideways, well there's the coast of france, so the uk must be.....oh THERE it is!

• Like 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

was june 1975 an ice day?

Posted
3 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

was june 1975 an ice day?

Het. It was a month!:good::D

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, sunnijim said:

Think it might have been the 29th March 1952. Someone posted a video of the university boat race taking place in a snowstorm, with snow laying all along the banks of the Thames.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Hi @lassie23 and @Snowflake Queen I’m here.. won’t be going anywhere. I love this group.  I’m here whether it’s snowing or it’s  sunny. My back is okay, could be a lot better though, I fell outside my house on decking about 6 months ago and have damaged the cartilage in my spine :cray: I will be having injections in to my spine to try and help with the pain. I’m currently on so many strong painkillers I’m lucky I remember I’ve got four kids. (Bit ditzy without tramadol) :crazy: this emoticon looks like me now :rofl: It’s so frustrating because I’m a really active person, I love taking the kids walking and snowboarding but can’t do anything at the mo.  I haven’t been around as much because my mum has fallen and broken her shoulder so I’ve been helping her, my 4 monsters keep my really busy and I’m also doing some online courses. (Want to go change my career) Thank you for your thoughts tho hope your all ok.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Here’s looking for warmth and thunderstorms then ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
29 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Am I the only one who can never find the UK on these charts, its like one those magic eye paintings, hold it sideways, well there's the coast of france, so the uk must be.....oh THERE it is!

Nope I just had my nose pressed up against my phone( kids think I’m mad anyway) trying to find anything that I thought looked like the uk. I was probably looking at a foot :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SnowBorder said:

I assume that would be further North? I can't seem to  find information for Southeast England explicitly.

Definatly not this late post 1984, as that's when i started keeping records.

Edited by sunnijim

Posted
19 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Hi @lassie23 and @Snowflake Queen I’m here.. won’t be going anywhere. I love this group.  I’m here whether it’s snowing or it’s  sunny. My back is okay, could be a lot better though, I fell outside my house on decking about 6 months ago and have damaged the cartilage in my spine :cray: I will be having injections in to my spine to try and help with the pain. I’m currently on so many strong painkillers I’m lucky I remember I’ve got four kids. (Bit ditzy without tramadol) :crazy: this emoticon looks like me now :rofl: It’s so frustrating because I’m a really active person, I love taking the kids walking and snowboarding but can’t do anything at the mo.  I haven’t been around as much because my mum has fallen and broken her shoulder so I’ve been helping her, my 4 monsters keep my really busy and I’m also doing some online courses. (Want to go change my career) Thank you for your thoughts tho hope your all ok.

Well, you've got enough there to keep you busy, good luck with the career change. Tramadol is a horrible thing, it can give so many people bad reactions, lets hope the injections help.