Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Thought there was a tiny chance of seeing some falling snow no chance now, so that’s a wrap very disappointing really in a location which tends to do very well out these rare synoptics gone to waste! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Quick question ; popped to the mod thread. everyone is talking about a white Easter. There are also some talking about it being warm. 

Can all the models be so different??? I know they won’t be all the same but I would of thought they might be roughly the same area either pointing towards cold or warm

Im not worried what happens either way to be honest. As far as I’m concerned it should be warming up in March/April but if we do have an extra beast that’s ok with me to.

Posted
Just now, DonnaThw said:

Quick question ; popped to the mod thread. everyone is talking about a white Easter. There are also some talking about it being warm. 

Can all the models be so different??? I know they won’t be all the same but I would of thought they might be roughly the same area either pointing towards cold or warm

Im not worried what happens either way to be honest. As far as I’m concerned it should be warming up in March/April but if we do have an extra beast that’s ok with me to.

Well if you see below ECM was off on one with high pressure red line average suggests low pressure meaning a greater likelihood of cooler and unsettled weather. They often are different from another I’d say a cold Easter is likely. No fan of northerly winds but I think they’re our best shot if you’re still interested in snow at this time of year, for you being on E Sussex coast among least favoured I don’t fancy sleet so maybe spring get your act together!

1E268532-8ED4-43E2-B383-C280FC86FF5D.thumb.png.ed25c52e51493bfffa4aadd304c38d87.png

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

V light snow here

It's the cold spell that just keeps giving. It's not giving to me right now but I'm pleased that someone in our region is getting a bit more. Keep us posted.

Posted
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

Total depth here I think is incredible for this late in march 

DSC_0806.thumb.JPG.6c2c0f73bcbd1243e1ee116fd3d8210c.JPG

It shows what a difference a few miles can make. Here in Surbiton, not that far east of you, we achieved around 2cm and the roads and pavements were mostly clear this morning; in Thorpe you clearly received a much heavier snow fall that stuck around longer.

I was like a child yesterday taking my son into London on the trains and tubes, as there was snow visible around the rail tracks, hedges and roof tops all the way from Surbiton via Wimbledon to Earls Court and onto Latimer Road. Walking around was bitterly cold, and then as we emerged from dance practice just under the Westway snow was falling heavily, and all the young adults with special needs that I was accompanying were excited and sharing stories about slipping over as they left their houses that morning. Waterloo gave us continued heavy snow and we arrived to minus 2 on the car temperature in Surbiton where the snow lasted until around 10pm. Certainly not a stellar event, and my mother in north Somerset has twice had deep snow falls, but it's March and we got two snowy spells, which I'll take reasonably happily:)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Well 3rd morning wth snow in bck garden all be it fairly patchy now.

Total lying snow days 8. ( never more than 2-5cm at a time)

Total Ice days 7

Amazingly all in March...

Have a feeling if it had been January id be looking at a lot more Snow.

But beggers cant be choosers..

Spring now please. 

• Like 1

Posted

The pathways are fairly slippy in places. Nearly went flying a few times, be careful! Car had a couple of  cms on it. Ready for spring now as we are going away!! Looking at models,  it appears we are heading v towards the snow.won't be packing my bikini then ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

Thank you Mr Blobby for creating that vast blob in the channel and throwing some our way this morning ;)    Nice big flakes at the mo.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
  • Like 1

Posted

Went to bed with it snowing and woke up to it still snowing. Lost count of the times I've had to de-snow the car. Despite many here writing it off on Saturday, I'd say it's been a decent snowy spell, especially for March. 

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like a cold Easter is more on the cards now, with snow possible at times.  Even the met office is takling about it now. The cause? A scandi high, giving us a decent beasterly. Bring it on.

Posted
9 minutes ago, nicktabs said:

Went to bed with it snowing and woke up to it still snowing. Lost count of the times I've had to de-snow the car. Despite many here writing it off on Saturday, I'd say it's been a decent snowy spell, especially for March. 

Local variation can be great the last beast for me was snowy the snowiest in a long time, however areas to my south and north did not do so well. So some wondered what the fuss was about. West is best it seems.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Thank you @Daniel* is that the direction it will be heading in from the north??? Your right because I’m so low on the south east coast we really never seem to do that well. I’m not worried either way to be honest. Kids love being able to play in the gar:den in the sun or snow. I do think I would prefer it warmer, might be hard to find those Easter eggs under all the snow:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Thought there was a tiny chance of seeing some falling snow no chance now, so that’s a wrap very disappointing really in a location which tends to do very well out these rare synoptics gone to waste! 

Yes, conditions not quite right for developing a decent Thames streamer this weekend!

Close, but no cigar!

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Yes, conditions not quite right for developing a decent Thames streamer this weekend!

Close, but no cigar!

However, "wintry" showers are on the cards for tomo and even Weds. Then - Easter and possible snow.  Still snowing a bit here but can't see it lasting for long.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Still snowing @Brighton 

The last flurries judging by the radar...

Quite a few on sledges still on slopes.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Third day in a row of falling snow in Angmering, not bad for the second half of March, infact, this has surpassed March 2013 for me.

Edited by 95 Degrees
  • Like 2

Posted

So, second beasterly of the month, and I must say, we have done pretty poorly with both of them in the SE, compared to other regions. How the stained glass window did that happen? I must admit though, I'm never going to be happy, unless I'm measuring my snow in feet, not inches!

Edited by Nizzer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Well, the coverage here was highly variable since it never really settled on the roads etc until the peak of the snow about 9pm on Saturday. At it's deepest on my patio furniture we probably topped out at about 7cms. 

I'm tapping out now, seen enough of this until next winter. Please send a plume or two our way weather gods...

Image result for tap out

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nizzer said:

So, second beasterly of the month, and I must say, we have done pretty poorly with both of them in the SE, compared to other regions. How the stained glass window did that happen? I must admit though, I'm never going to be happy, unless I'm measuring my snow in feet, not inches!

Feel your pain and many on here have echoed your sentiments.  It’s been a 5+ year for lying snow for me so yes it’s been poor.  When will a winter deliver heavy and widespread snowfall for the SE? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Feel your pain and many on here have echoed your sentiments.  It’s been a 5+ year for lying snow for me so yes it’s been poor.  When will a winter deliver heavy and widespread snowfall for the SE? 

You were just unlucky this year mate - perhaps you were lucky 09, 10 and 13 ??

we managed 10cms Dec slider, 5cm beast 1 and 6cm (away from the concrete) in the end beast 2. Nothing amazing but i’ll take whatever I can get !

still a chance of an easter sting in winters tail too ........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Been watching icicles grow outside a bedroom window in our house this weekend, not sure I want this falling on anyone in the back garden. temperature crept up to +0.6C here, just south on the Downs Biggin Hill at 183m still -1C.

icicle.thumb.JPG.5d74af1cc09e3d4700ade9ff35156111.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

You were just unlucky this year mate - perhaps you were lucky 09, 10 and 13 ??

we managed 10cms Dec slider, 5cm beast 1 and 6cm (away from the concrete) in the end beast 2. Nothing amazing but i’ll take whatever I can get !

still a chance of an easter sting in winters tail too ........

Yeah - it was a case of close but no cigar for south London.  The December event was awesome for North London northwards - probably the big snow event for the region.