Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I sincerely hope not - but some realism has to be accepted - this isn’t anything more than gentle showers now for the SE...

Good thing too! I only got about three hours sleep last night. Couldn't survive another night lampost watching! Snow finally dying off here in Reading. Best spell for my parts since January 2010 for snow. Obviously December 2010 beats it for longevity, but from a purely snow perspective it ranks up there with 2009 and, dare I say it, 1991 before that! Only a 9 year gap this time as opposed to 18. Hopefully not so long to wait for next time....

Posted

Very annoyed temp has snuck above freezing, I can’t help but feel disappointed especially after the last ‘beast’ if that didn’t happen I would have rated this as decent. At one point or a long stretch the model output put southeast / ea in the epicentre for snow it really could have been so much more snowy, the way the models trended for a direct hit countrywide, did us no favours selfishly I wish it did concentrate down here. It happens so often coldest air from east trends further north, there’s been so many instances of this. 

I wont be going anywhere however! Adios lawrenk I have good feeling about next winter. :) 

And you may be back soon with prospect of a cold easter period.. although I’m one that’s not really interested being in London it now takes something really exceptional, this cold has been exceptional if short. Certainly not expecting anything like this till next winter, the fact it came so soon after the other is staggering really. 

Winter had a sting to its tail it’s funny since mantra at start was early cold? 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Good thing too! I only got about three hours sleep last night. Couldn't survive another night lampost watching! Snow finally dying off here in Reading. Best spell for my parts since January 2010 for snow. Obviously December 2010 beats it for longevity, but from a purely snow perspective it ranks up there with 2009 and, dare I say it, 1991 before that! Only a 9 year gap this time as opposed to 18. Hopefully not so long to wait for next time....

Well remembered - I’d totally forgotten that this La Niña winter was meant to have front loaded cold only

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Very annoyed temp has snuck above freezing, I can’t help but feel disappointed especially after the last ‘beast’ if that didn’t happen I would have rated this as decent. At one point or a long stretch the model output put southeast / ea in the epicentre for snow it really could have been so much more snowy, the way the models trended for a direct hit countrywide, did us no favours selfishly I wish it did concentrate down here. It happens so often coldest air from east trends further north, there’s been so many instances of this. 

I wont be going anywhere however! Adios lawrenk I have good feeling about next winter. :) 

And you may be back soon with prospect of a cold easter period.. although I’m one that’s not really interested being in London it now takes something really exceptional, this cold has been exceptional if short. Certainly not expecting anything like this till next winter, the fact it came so soon after the other is staggering really. 

Winter had a sting to its tail it’s funny since mantra at start was early cold? 

Think it will drop again later a warm front just went through, hence the convection stopping. However there should be a cold front along all this still moving west towards us.

Posted

Night all. Thanks for making another cold spell so entertaining and informative. I'll be back lurking at any hint of a snowflake or rumble of thunder.

?

Loz

• Like 2

Posted

Happy Easter 

gfs-1-324.png?18gfs-0-324.png?18gfs-2-324.png?18

Support for another a cold spell from some of the ensembles too, one to watch. 

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Think it will drop again later a warm front just went through, hence the convection stopping. However there should be a cold front along all this still moving west towards us.

According to this evening's FAX it was an upper level occlusion. Interesting, especially after the upper level warm front last night!

Screenshot_2018-03-18-22-45-07-649_com.android.browser.png

Posted

Well it's warmed things up, not sure occlusions are meant to do that, confused.

Posted
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's -1 in Southampton area 

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

They can; it is possible to get a warm occlusion or a cold occlusion. The former occurs where the airmass behind the cold front that catches up with the warm front is warmer than the airmass ahead of the warm front. I hope that makes sense because it's hard to explain! 

Say you have an Arctic airmass in place and a warm front is moving in bringing a tropical maritime airmass; behind the cold front which is catching up with the warm front you have a polar maritime airmass. The PM airmass is warmer than the Arctic airmass so the occluded front will raise temperatures.

However, this was an upper occlusion which occurs somewhere between the 850hPa and 700hPa level so it wouldn't make a difference at the surface but may increase PPN by creating instability aloft, hence today's snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Another 1-2cm this evening though it really struggled to settle on roads/concrete. People have mentioned much higher ground temperatures due to the relatively warm previous week as the primary reason for this - can folk confirm this?

Anyway, temperatures on the rise here and legitimate melting of the snow is now occurring.  A good cold snap (both beasts) - best since January 2013.

0.3C

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mulzy said:

Another 1-2cm this evening though it really struggled to settle on roads/concrete. People have mentioned much higher ground temperatures due to the relatively warm previous week as the primary reason for this - can folk confirm this?

Anyway, temperatures on the rise here and legitimate melting of the snow is now occurring.  A good cold snap (both beasts) - best since January 2013.

0.3C

Ground temperatures: yes. Some took some readings earlier in the thread (I forget who) and they measured an air temperature of below freezing, soil temperature close to freezing and a road temperature of 3.3. Explains why it took so long for snow to settle on pavements and roads yesterday. 

Cooled down enough here to have today's snow settle from the start.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Thunderstorms.

Well my friends I can safely say I've ended up dizzy on the snow hunt from yesterday morning. From expecting a decent pile yesterday and watching it turn to nowt, to expecting nothing today and watching some decent car, tree and grass coverings in constant afternoon snowfall, albeit it mostly light. But it be fun to follow and it's fun to keep up to date in here.

I did the Hastings Half this morn, a miracle really it was on given how it looked early yesterday. So for one day, and one day only, I wasn't too traumatised by the snowless Sussex coast yesterday. Made me laugh that almost the second I walked back through my door today so the snow got going a bit. 

Cheers all.

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

Patchy light snow here from the current surprise backbuilding.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Some parts could still see small snowfalls up until miday Monday.The cold pool will clear the far South of our region  during the late  afternoon.

Parts of the South coast progged  to go no higher than 1c tomorrow on the latest gfs  guidance.

Met office app going for a 70% chance of snow again between 4am and 6am in Brighton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Last one out shut the door! 

Back for Easter!?

• Like 1

Posted

More than 5 hours of mostly light snow giving an additional 3cm. Keep on thinking it will stop but some back building occurring. Will surely stop very soon. What a day! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp, Dry and Snowy, Clear blue sky

Just did a final check of the lampost whilst locking everything up, and to my suprise, there are a few flakes still falling!

On that note, is goodnight from Selsdon

Edited by TheOriginalMrC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

From an imby disappointment,its a good night from me in beautiful northiam,sussex kent border,70m asl

Posted

Just watching that snow over ne France . Will it make landfall in the se?

Very hard to say, at one point it looked to be heading just west but then there seems to have been a slight shift north .

The tension.....

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted

No idea, but I expect I'm to far north for them if they do, thinking Folkestone westward.

Posted
29 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Just watching that snow over ne France . Will it make landfall in the se?

Very hard to say, at one point it looked to be heading just west but then there seems to have been a slight shift north .

The tension.....

Nick you are a tease :D from what I see there’s no hint - maybe you need a telescope? You’re very welcome to post in here when you want, I don’t really recall you doing it previously but it’s nice to see you share your thoughts. There could be some convection I think off estuary in morning to early afternoon.

Hoping to see some snow falling as a last hurrah. Then again easter may have different ideas but for us in southeast it takes something even more.

Euro4 does bring a little snow into Sussex not really making inroads. 

279EFCEB-DC19-43AD-AB3E-0D4D72539500.thumb.gif.b83d75e6e29a89c44fd44f022057510c.gif

279EFCEB-DC19-43AD-AB3E-0D4D72539500.thumb.gif.b83d75e6e29a89c44fd44f022057510c.gif