Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Massive snow flakes , really coming down now , just wish it would lay on the road and paths 

• Like 1

Posted

Tiny flakes floating about in Rochester. Really hoping a snow dance will help it start up again ?

Can someone explain the Murr scale please? I know it's been about for years, but can't remember the specifics! 

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
12 minutes ago, crazysnowcatz4 said:

Have to agree that the radar seems to be showing more snow than expected. MetOffice and Beeb seem to have slightly adjusted their forecast but both predict it stopping before 10PM

The bbc forecast at about 7.15 this evening showed snow showers running across the south all night - and into the morning, when they'll be restricted more to the coastal strip.  

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
  • Like 3

Posted

Latest ice day on record here this is really exceptional -0.1C max was very lucky it just levelled off and never got any higher thought it wasn’t happening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Green in the estuary! Don’t know about anyone else but I’m keeping a close eye on this.

BCCA0645-A4B2-4DCF-9F19-A153AF6CAFB9.thumb.png.7a7f41ef0df74799a62c8376722e6942.png

Hi Daniel, 

Like my location, you don't have any elevation but get that flow, into the ENE and we're in a good spot, for a T/S.

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

The bbc forecast at about 6.30 pm today showed snow showers to run across the south all night - and into the morning, when they'll be restricted more to the coastal strip.  

Snow showers all night! Based on the last two days I reckon I’ll wake up to 0.01mm then lol ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Heavy snow now in Guildford wasn't expected 

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Stopped snowing now. Latest from the models, milder for the rest of the week, but the jet stream is still south of the UK and as we move towards Easter, another four day cold spell is possible, probably from the north this time. Beyond this, northern blocking and cold outbreaks still remain a possibility into the early part of April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

We now have red!

5459BF0D-D65B-4B69-8EA7-1D8CFE482331.thumb.png.e98452238b6a80ac8a131c1371089bdf.png

I had to zoom in to see that:acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Ok I think I now we have a warm front, as temp and DP are rising, hopefully not to far. Think this is the front that was supposed to be south of us on the fax chart this morning. If so it goes cold, which came through earlier, warm coming through now, then cold again.

Posted
Just now, TomSE12 said:

Hi Daniel, 

Like my location, you don't have any elevation but get that flow, into the ENE and we're in a good spot, for a T/S.

Regards,

Tom.

Hi Tom,

You have towering elevation to me! I’m on the Thames floodplain I’m relatively high up here at 5m asl a short walk it drops to 2m but you aren’t far away and we do see similar weather from this sort.

Keeping everything crossed after last night shambles..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Stopped snowing now. Latest from the models, milder for the rest of the week, but the jet stream is still south of the UK and as we move towards Easter, another four day cold spell is possible, probably from the north this time. Beyond this, northern blocking and cold outbreaks still remain a possibility into the early part of April.

but will it be cold enough for snow down here from the north? you might have to  clean your bucket for six hours this time and do a snow dance. are you up for this task?

Edited by John Ronane

Posted
14 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Green in the estuary! Don’t know about anyone else but I’m keeping a close eye on this.

BCCA0645-A4B2-4DCF-9F19-A153AF6CAFB9.thumb.png.7a7f41ef0df74799a62c8376722e6942.png

i've done a little paint job on your map to show an example of what a full-flow thames streamer would look like (a bit like 2010 from memory)

20180318_200424.png.633d083a8c9661242a1ef4461badbdba.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

We maxed out at 1.3 this morning about 11am but since then the temp has gradually dropped falling below zero about 4 and is currently -0.5.Although not officially an Ice Day flipping cold for this time of year.Light snow started falling here about 3.45 with the odd moderate burst and is still light giving a light covering everywhere and everything looking picturesque(maybe 0.5cm at most).Much as i would love to see a Thames Streamer set up i think it is unlikely but still think this light snow will continue until the early hours(HIRLAM has it continuing till about 7-8am!!)

This will be the last snow for us from this current cold snap although tomorrow will still be very cold with a max of only 2 or 3 for most.Thereafter a steady rise in temps during the week with temps 8-10 by Weds and pretty much that level for rest of week.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

i've done a little paint job on your map to show an example of what a full-flow thames streamer would look like (a bit like 2010 from memory)

20180318_200424.png.633d083a8c9661242a1ef4461badbdba.png

That’s no good it misses me :D with the last beast. This was certainly a Streamer a strangely orientated one too. Early hours of Wednesday 28/02/18 had some of the heaviest snowfall I can ever recall. 

CCBFB864-99E1-4E53-81DA-9E8E9EC7E915.thumb.png.db7970456c6d85592a3bd65b39fcf613.pngE1F28D43-4D70-459E-9F63-0F62AD59CDA2.thumb.png.53839024a90d8cfcb9c12025d908196f.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

Guys, is this an extra snow? None of the forecast channels and website mentions this!!! I am happy and confused. It’s been snowing really good in Brighton but metoffice doesn’t show this

Posted

went  to felixstowe  on sunday morning almost died!! never been so  cold the sea was huge!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Heavier snow with large flakes just then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Been snowing here for 3 hours now, a good 1-2cm extra snow and all paths and side roads covered again. Great little cold snap for my area. Chilly at -2C now.

• Like 3

Posted

Are we saying that an actual Thames steamer (aka 2009) is not happening. We all have different interpretations of what a true Thames streamer :D