Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

2 minutes ago, coram said:

I'm usually a great supporter of the professionals and the very difficult job they do, however on this occasion they are getting it badly wrong. While forecasting in these situations is very difficult, reporting what is actually happening is not. Surely they should have one of their team standing outside and looking/feeling at what is falling out of the sky and somebody else looking at the radar. Perhaps sometimes they put too much emphasis on computer models.

Whatever mupper made up those graphics needs a word in their shell!

Posted

Directly N / NW of Brugge is where I’m looking atm and the possibility of pepping up that band if that’s the case and we can keep on the right track then things could get interesting again in a few hours as it crosses the Thames. We shall see ❄️ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, bobbydog said:

just to clarify, this is not a thames streamer. the flow is picking up moisture from the sea in a vaguely similar way to how a streamer forms but its not a streamer. it is however, giving us unexpected snowfall. which will do nicely.

Glad you're getting snow.. How much have you got so far?

Posted
6 minutes ago, coram said:

I'm usually a great supporter of the professionals and the very difficult job they do, however on this occasion they are getting it badly wrong. While forecasting in these situations is very difficult, reporting what is actually happening is not. Surely they should have one of their team standing outside and looking/feeling at what is falling out of the sky and somebody else looking at the radar. Perhaps sometimes they put too much emphasis on computer models.

generally think they are far worse on a weekend. I get the impression they are like most big government departments and run on a Skelton staff with only junior members on the weekend. The junior staff are probably told to just read from the computer generated forecast.

if they were looking at latest radar and pressure readings across France they would  see there is a small low to east of Paris which has nudged slightly north over last couple of hours. This was not modelled as see 12z GFS.

we don't have streamer as such but the precipitation on northern edge is being slightly intensified a hits north sea/Estuary.

I haven't a clue whether that low will continue to move north/north west/north east or dissipate. Even if the Met office were/are looking at the radar I doubt they would hazard a forecast as its a dynamic situation and they probably haven't a clue, they would probably wait until the 18z models come out then adjust forecast.

image.png.ae5c5b7790494fcde54771747578ce47.png

image.png

Edited by pages

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

That's snow drizzle

Ah in the case there was a time a few years back it was doing that, but you could see the moon and sky looked completely clear, told my two youngest it was fairy dust, they were quite amazed.

Posted
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

just to clarify, this is not a thames streamer. the flow is picking up moisture from the sea in a vaguely similar way to how a streamer forms but its not a streamer. it is however, giving us unexpected snowfall. which will do nicely.

No it is not however what moisture it can bring over the Thames may well pep up

Posted
9 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

This area of precipitation has been developing nicely in the last few updates too.

more.png

Yes but its going west not west north west

Edited by steveinsussex

Posted
1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

Glad you're getting snow.. How much have you got so far?

not much really, the deepest lying snow i can find in the shade is on my wheely bin which is maybe an inch. (including last night)

Posted

Still nothing here, glad most have had a good winter, and nice to see falling snow, but at best we have had a dusting all winter, no snow days for kids, no sledging! 

Posted
4 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

I think you're wrong there if that was the case, why is it in that area and not widespread. It's a streamer full stop.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

Yes but its going west not North west

I'm going to blame that arrow on my inability to draw using paint software!!

Still on track to Kent?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Still got some dusty snow blowing around here in Motspur Park

Or should that be 'snusty blows'  or could that be the name of an actress?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Drove back from grays to Waltham abbey. Light snow most of the way!

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
1 hour ago, Ellozee said:

The only time I remember seeing deep accumulation of snow in Deal. The roads were filled, the hedges and fences were drifts. Being coastal and low-lying we rarely do well from any other kind of set up.

Glad you got a lot. That was fa ab night.  The low was expected to track west across southern england - but it stopped and grew deeper, and chucked out a lot of moderate snowfall all night.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, fluid dynamic said:

Still got some dusty snow blowing around here in Motspur Park

Or should that be 'snusty blows'  or could that be the name of an actress?

Yeah, she's in that film with Master Bates..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I measured 5cm on the garden table this evening,1cm of it probably fell late this afternoon.The snust (love this term - couldn't wait to use it!) is leaving a sugary coating on the pavements which doesn't melt when you walk on it, unlike yesterday

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

I think you're wrong there if that was the case, why is it in that area and not widespread. It's a streamer full stop.

no its not. it covers most of the south east. streamers are usually fairly localised and can dump tons of snow in their path. i had a foot from one in 2010. the term 'streamer' is being used erroneously here. as i said its similar to how a streamer forms but not one. that said, an actual streamer is not beyond the realms of possibility in this set up...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

All stopped here now , was good though ? Brighton has done well 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

They got the wrong day, pretty sure ones setting up now.

Hi Alexis,

Yes not bad is it, only a day ou!! It looks like a small trough went through the region and now behind it radar profiles, show what looks like, a Sreamer setting up.

https://www.buienradar.nl/

And Meteox.

http://www.meteox.com/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=7&type=zoom&x=201&y=268

Get the flow, in the right vector, cold enough, 850 temps and let the N.Sea/ Thames Estuary, do the rest!!

Regards,

Tom

PS Snow stopped here in Lee, giving slight covering and hoping and waiting for the ppn, out in the N.Sea/Estuary, to get here, hopefully!!

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Why is every area of Of Snow that just happens to be in line of the Thames Estuary called a Streamer? It Snowed here last Night but it was called an area of Snow.

Posted
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

no its not. it covers most of the south east. streamers are usually fairly localised and can dump tons of snow in their path. i had a foot from one in 2010. the term 'streamer' is being used erroneously here. as i said its similar to how a streamer forms but not one. that said, an actual streamer is not beyond the realms of possibility in this set up...

Was 2009 localised no it wasn’t. It is the most Streamer looking thing thus far!

And for that matter it’s largely offshore.