Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 hours ago, yamkin said:

Quite a bit here in Reading. Looks like over 10cm. Will have a measure after a cup of tea! Daughter ready to take the dog out now of course. Very close to amber zone so good call here in the end.

IMG_20180318_080643.jpg

For some reason it's quoting yamkin, but it's all my own work!l

Edited by WhiteFox
  • Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Bevbrighton said:

Think peacehaven was just too far  east from the main area again, slight dusting, glad Brighton and Shoreham had some more, do we except some today?

Potentially some this evening, would be nice!! Hope Peacehaven is the sweet spot later tonight for you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

A centimetre or so here this morning, nothing too disruptive. Time for spring to arrive now in my opinion even though this spell has been pretty exciting.

We might have to wait a while going by the models.

A few of my neighbours was thinking it had arrived on Friday but was shocked yesterday when I spoke to them lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Looks like a lot of precipitation heading towards our region from Germany and Belgium? 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Looks like a lot of precipitation heading towards our region from Germany and Belgium? 

Yeah that's what I was looking at and thinking:laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A few cm’s in the back garden here in Chingford. Really good for mid March.

Just looking at the radar, those shower streams are still going strong in NE England - they must be getting battered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

Yeah that's what I was looking at and thinking:laugh:

That’d be fun, lol

Posted
16 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Anywhere along the south, especially later on when it's starts slipping south.. Tbh I can't give you a definitive answer we just have to watch the radar.

Check out hrilam - http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?map=430

HIRLAM is wrong early doors - shows snow over London at 8am and it's bone dry!

Radar watching and good old fashioned looking out of the window are the foolproof methods.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
17 minutes ago, Paul Williams said:

Picked the right weekend to take the kids to centreparcs! Ended up in a sweet spot! 

EE0CE5BA-6FB8-494E-89C6-5DA05FAC6BED.jpeg

Soooo jealous of you right now!!! One of my fave places AND in the snow!!! I bet the forest looks beautiful!!x

• Like 1

Posted

I think the UKMO need to admit they messed up.

There was clearly no convergence zone , that implies convection which I think puzzled a few in here yesterday .

Cloud associated with the frontal wave would stop convection. It was clear from the sat pics where the proper convection was and it was nowhere near the se.

Anyway on today still a chance of some snow running west out of the Continent more especially towards Channel facing coastal areas ,the fact that the Met Office haven’t said much is probably a good thing  ! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Morning all. I was lucky enough to wake up at 4am and see heavy snow falling and a perfect, untouched covering on the pavement outside. Had a quick inspection of the back garden, and saw my earlier footprints had been covered too. When I woke again at 7am I tried not to get my hopes up as I peered out the window. Lucky I didn't. Snow patchy on the pavement and driveways, and holes appearing in the back garden grass. It's very windy, but weirdly doesn't actually feel very cold.

• Like 1

Posted

8-11cm sampling a few spots in back garden. That's in the shelter if the wind though so maybe more.

• Like 1

Posted

For those who are interested, the extended EPS show significantly colder than average weather right through the end of March and early April. As I keep saying to myself, if only this was January!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
25 minutes ago, Storme said:

Ok. Did you get much in Epsom? I lived there for 40 years and am always curious. Had precious little since moving to Charlwood 6 years ago. 

Not too bad, a covering but not much on roads or pavements and can see it won' hang about for long! It looks like my snow shower was cut off in its prime, it did all the groundwork but then stopped before it really too effect! Might head to Box Hill!x

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think the UKMO need to admit they messed up.

There was clearly no convergence zone , that implies convection which I think puzzled a few in here yesterday .

Cloud associated with the frontal wave would stop convection. It was clear from the sat pics where the proper convection was and it was nowhere near the se.

Anyway on today still a chance of some snow running west out of the Continent more especially towards Channel facing coastal areas ,the fact that the Met Office haven’t said much is probably a good thing  ! 

Got fooled into thinking this will be a Feb 2009 redux - should have known better!  The cold pool continued to get corrected further north with each modelling suite - the writing was on the wall.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, dubmuffin said:

Morning all. I was lucky enough to wake up at 4am and see heavy snow falling and a perfect, untouched covering on the pavement outside. Had a quick inspection of the back garden, and saw my earlier footprints had been covered too. When I woke again at 7am I tried not to get my hopes up as I peered out the window. Lucky I didn't. Snow patchy on the pavement and driveways, and holes appearing in the back garden grass. It's very windy, but weirdly doesn't actually feel very cold.

lol, you must be having hot flushes then:db:

Seriously though.. Same here, I went to bed with everything covered and woke up to bare patches where it's either been blown away or melted back.

9 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

Soooo jealous of you right now!!! One of my fave places AND in the snow!!! I bet the forest looks beautiful!!x

It’s stunning and had the foresight to bring the sledges! As you’ll know it’s pretty hilly here. Still snowing as well. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
1 minute ago, Paul Williams said:

It’s stunning and had the foresight to bring the sledges! As you’ll know it’s pretty hilly here. Still snowing as well. 

woburn right? there next weekend....

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Williams said:

Forgive my ignorance but where is CentreParks?

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

The winds veer back almost to an Easterly from Lunch time so I guess just wait and see what crops up

nmm-35-11-0.png?18-05 nmm-35-14-0.png?18-05 nmm-35-26-0.png?18-05

That shows the heavier ppn over Germany not reaching us until the early hours of Monday.. I'll be at work by then:rolleyes: