Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Well, what a surprise. Went to bed around 10.15 , with any chance of snow, seemingly vanishing, as ppn boke up south of the river. Felt really tired and didn't have my afternoon nap, yesterday, which I need every day, after suffering a Haemorrhagic Stroke, 2 years ago. Also had row with wife , for that "infernal clicking", of my keyboard!! She had just finished a twelve hour shift and likes to "crash out", in front of the tv, which I can understand. So trudged off to bed,with my tail between my legs.

Think I got up for a bathroom break, around 2, had a quick peek out of the window, to see grass, road and pavements, all covered!! See it was me, that was stopping the snow from arriving south of the river!! Just spent an hour, trawling through all your posts, to ascertain when the snow fell. Looks like it arrived from the S/SE, sometime after midnight and it appears that Lee, SE12, jist caught the eastern edge of it. Many thanks to all of you that stayed up and posted, this really is an informative thread. Special thanks to Nick F and KW, for their superb analysis, of the evolving situation, others too.

Someone posted earlier, that one model gives us more snow chances,, later on today. Perhaps I should promise to come off the computer, if that's the case, later on.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

A narrow but long finger of snow came up from the channel into one part of west sussex, then expanded and became heavier as it reached up to london, and hung around for quite a while.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Morning all, looks like some people who didn't get any snow last time woke up to some which is good. Nothing to report here in Sevenoaks only a dusting, just seen the weather forecast and nothing for Kent today but thought we was due more ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
2 hours ago, yamkin said:

MetO have just updated their Amber Warning

Boo Kent has been removed typical 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
5 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Morning all, looks like some people who didn't get any snow last time woke up to some which is good. Nothing to report here in Sevenoaks only a dusting, just seen the weather forecast and nothing for Kent today but thought we was due more ?

Nope that's wrong in afraid zero anyway you had a good dumping we get virtually zilch here 

So later on is kind of tricky, it wasn't showing till yesterday afternoon some models disagree more more agree with each other.. 

GFS

overview_018.jpg?2018031800overview_024.jpg?2018031800

HIRLAM (Did really well last night)

overview_017.jpg?2018031800overview_019.jpg?2018031800overview_021.jpg?2018031800overview_027.jpg?2018031800

AROME Did okay last night but over did it on streamer potential 

preciprate_019.jpg?2018031800 preciprate_021.jpg?2018031800preciprate_023.jpg?2018031800preciprate_026.jpg?2018031800

NMM

nmm-1-16-0.png?18-05nmm-1-18-0.png?18-05nmm-1-20-0.png?18-05 nmm-1-23-0.png?18-05

EURO4 says no, but did so badly last night

I guess it will be a wait and see nothing special showing maybe 1-3cm more on top of anything laying I think the met are probs holding back for now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Good morning! We only have about 1cm here in Bexhill, but it’s nice to see anyway. I’m glad to see everyone else got lucky who didn’t last time.

Posted

Expected to wake up to at least a covering of snow. Got nothing here in Ashford but I'm not surprised. I had my share of snow yesterday morning at work in Maidstone.

Hopefully now its all over the children on here last night b****ing at each other will finally grow up.

Edited by k66yla
  • Like 2

Just now, Surrey said:

So later on is kind of tricky, it wasn't showing till yesterday afternoon some models disagree more more agree with each other.. 

GFS

overview_018.jpg?2018031800overview_024.jpg?2018031800

HIRLAM (Did really well last night)

overview_017.jpg?2018031800overview_019.jpg?2018031800overview_021.jpg?2018031800overview_027.jpg?2018031800

AROME Did okay last night but over did it on streamer potential 

preciprate_019.jpg?2018031800 preciprate_021.jpg?2018031800preciprate_023.jpg?2018031800preciprate_026.jpg?2018031800

NMM

nmm-1-16-0.png?18-05nmm-1-18-0.png?18-05nmm-1-20-0.png?18-05 nmm-1-23-0.png?18-05

EURO4 says no, but did so badly last night

I guess it will be a wait and see nothing special showing maybe 1-3cm more on top of anything laying I think the met are probs holding back for now

Maybe we should send these images to sky news, who have just forecast that apart from central and western areas the rest of us in the southern and southeastern areas have seen the last of the snow ,where as the fax charts show troughs moving close to the south coastal areas and by Monday night into Tuesday a cold front lying over East Anglia and the southeast with uppers still low enough for posible further snow I find their statement a bit strange 

Posted

What a total let down. Smack bang in the middle of the amber warning, had my hopes high, and barely a dusting. I don’t think we even got 1cm of depth. It’s vanishing in front of my eyes this morning. 

Come on spring, let’s have some weather we can actually enjoy. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
4 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Good morning! We only have about 1cm here in Bexhill, but it’s nice to see anyway. I’m glad to see everyone else got lucky who didn’t last time.

If only that was the case !!

Posted

Just about stopped here in north Hampshire and judging by the radar that's it for now at least. Didn't expect to be walking the dog in thick powdery snow on 18th March. Fantastic.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

I'm guessing about 5cm here in Holmbury St Mary. My 8 year old daughter who yesterday morning said "Daddy, it's not going to snow", is now up and dressed and ready for sledging.....

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Eastnorthwest said:

Maybe we should send these images to sky news, who have just forecast that apart from central and western areas the rest of us in the southern and southeastern areas have seen the last of the snow ,where as the fax charts show troughs moving close to the south coastal areas and by Monday night into Tuesday a cold front lying over East Anglia and the southeast with uppers still low enough for posible further snow I find their statement a bit strange 

Yep bit odd as metoffice still showing some heavy snow for this area later this eve 

3B41AC87-913C-4D86-9F06-5C71A7A1FC01.png

Posted
1 minute ago, coram said:

Just about stopped here in north Hampshire and judging by the radar that's it for now at least. Didn't expect to be walking the dog in thick powdery snow on 18th March. Fantastic.

Really pleased for you.  Often in easterly type situations, the west of the region hardly gets any, 

Anyway, hope when we all come back next winter, we get proper frontal snow that encompasses the whole region and we'll be splitting the difference between 20cm and 16cm rather than 8cm and 0cm!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring
20 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

Nope that's wrong in afraid zero anyway you had a good dumping we get virtually zilch here 

Yeah we got a good dumping with the first "beast" nothing major this time round

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
40 minutes ago, coram said:

About 10cm in north Hampshire and still coming down moderately. Amber warning area spot on for here, although I do realise that other areas have got less/more than forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

5cms here unfortunately no sledging today as we have to drive to grays for my daughters regiobal streetdance completion. 9-7pm!!! At least I’ve got net weather?

Posted
5 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

View from the flat in Brighton just now, pretty unusual sight 

62FC149C-376B-43B1-BF81-3CAB99B03267.jpeg

Yep, very quiet and dull.  Normally there's a street party in every corner in Brighton!!

Also, a tiny bit of snow! ;)

Posted
8 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Yep bit odd as metoffice still showing some heavy snow for this area later this eve 

3B41AC87-913C-4D86-9F06-5C71A7A1FC01.png

A minor low/trough/wave will zip westwards tonight, most likley along the english channel.  It can be seen [as the "L"]  on the met office pressure chart for midnight tonight.  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1521374400

• Thanks 1

This spell has been exceptional for most not all,especially those who thought they were in the fireing line for snow ,but as nick sussex said in one of his posts yesterday it's shame the SSW came so late this time round ,if it had came in January it might have been even more impressive 

Better luck next winter for us all

Posted
16 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

View from the flat in Brighton just now, pretty unusual sight 

62FC149C-376B-43B1-BF81-3CAB99B03267.jpeg

Wow, surprised to only see a dusting in Brighton, in Shoreham we have about 2-3 inches :O