Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Snowing a lot heavier now and settling very nicely :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

heavy graupel here with snow levels getting 1cm plus

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

It’s all been a learning curve tonight trying to understand the dynamics behind the precipitation formation!

Indeed, the surface wind doesn’t always correspond to the direction rain or snow is moving. Those eagle-eyed amongst you probably saw the high res models bringing some heavier snow snow from the S and SE through the night on Runs this morning, such as HIRLAM, and that seems to be occurring now. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
15 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I suspect some didn’t really think we’d be looking south for the snow tonight, given the surface wind is still ENE or NEly, but the snow is being driven by winds aloft rather than surface, a look at recent synoptic analysis shows upper low in red dotted lines has circulation and steering flow from the south for SE now the low has moved across the SW

E52A3DFB-2DE3-4FD7-B1E2-71351D060EFD.thumb.gif.91c7be0e78e0ae1b2f105a7a61f42b88.gif

Yes.. agree - yet don't understand the graphic... it's just full of small numbers and colours - sorry ignorant me (-: 

Edited by Pixel
srhrgsrhrthjrst
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
15 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I suspect some didn’t really think we’d be looking south for the snow tonight, given the surface wind is still ENE or NEly, but the snow is being driven by winds aloft rather than surface, a look at recent synoptic analysis shows upper low in red dotted lines has circulation and steering flow from the south for SE now the low has moved across the SW

E52A3DFB-2DE3-4FD7-B1E2-71351D060EFD.thumb.gif.91c7be0e78e0ae1b2f105a7a61f42b88.gif

Thanks for that.  I wondered what was going on when I identified* a low of sorts y'day afternoon, centred between london and the sussex coast. It then became centred over London before transferring in a SW-ish direction.  *by looking at the met office radar and going back in time a bit then coming back to the present. That showed  precipitation from the isle of wight to the wash ... moving in an anticlockwise direction.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Its been snowing for a while but even if we were under the heavier echoes I doubt we would see lying snow, a complete flop.

You'd think the meto would take note of ground temps before bashing out these warnings, temperatures in central are 1.c hardly enough for lying snow

:angry:

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Interesting to see how this is evolving. Bands are now lining up south-north and not making a great deal of progress west. Places with snow falling have a good few hours yet, esp in the far west of the region. Back in end of system looks interesting from Brighton-Lobdon and some interesting convective cells in the channel heading NNW.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Pixel said:

Yes.. agree - yet don't understand the graphic

Black solid lines are surface pressure, red dotted lines are the 500mb height contour or flow circulation 5000m up, most recent analysis shows centre of upper low over SW Wales, with flow at that level from the south across SE England while surface wind is NEly looking at observations

0BF22D8D-3507-4539-876F-21CE6BBE1586.gif

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Slipped over on decking :angry::angry::cray::cray:

Have you considered gettig a TENS "machine "? Might help.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine

Posted

Annoyingly the heavier snow staying just west of here as it moves north from Brighton area, whole of southern England from just west of here getting moderate snowfall atm, all the way to Devon

1FD2BCF4-2F3F-4C02-965B-229A0EAFF8A5.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
6 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Black solid lines are surface pressure, red dotted lines are the 500mb height contour or flow circulation 5000m up, most recent analysis shows centre of upper low over SW Wales, with flow at that level from the south across SE England while surface wind is NEly looking at observations

0BF22D8D-3507-4539-876F-21CE6BBE1586.gif

Thanks.. yes i get that... it's just just the blurred blue and red numbers that i cant read..maybe it's cos I'm reading it on a desktop ...or merely getting old while trying to look for stuff

sorry just ignore me as i pass by..

Edited by Pixel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, Nick F said:

Annoyingly the heavier snow staying just west of here as it moves north from Brighton area, whole of southern England from just west of here getting moderate snowfall atm, all the way to Devon

1FD2BCF4-2F3F-4C02-965B-229A0EAFF8A5.png

those yellow blobs further south, are they coming up this way?

Posted

Pavements and roads have finally got a covering here after snowing most of the afternoon to little avail other than on the cars and wheelie bins. It looks like the movement north from the precipitation in the channel is responsible for precipitation at, presumably, the time when the ground temperature got low enough for settling snow. Looks like just over a centimeter on the garden table. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp, Dry and Snowy, Clear blue sky

Snows settled well on the side roads in Selsdon now, and doing a pretty good job of the main roads as well at the moment. Still snowing heavily. Whole circulation seems to have just moved west though on radar. Still a good showing

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

those yellow blobs further south, are they coming up this way?

Hopefully.

interesting fax chart for midnight issued recently, shows upper warm front on the northern and w3stern edge of our region that brought the snow NW in the evening, frontal wave close to the south coast could be bringing the snow up from the south now. 

2F20E8B2-FF01-4560-BBAF-978BF3F27084.thumb.gif.b5eef823abdbb47a96f1c4c6213d8de2.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
4 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Hopefully.

interesting fax chart for midnight issued recently, shows upper warm front on the northern and w3stern edge of our region that brought the snow NW in the evening, frontal wave close to the south coast could be bringing the snow up from the south now. 

2F20E8B2-FF01-4560-BBAF-978BF3F27084.thumb.gif.b5eef823abdbb47a96f1c4c6213d8de2.gif

Thanks Nick.

I can see on the ppn building in the channel on the radar. Got to get some sleep in a bit:good:

Posted

Measured 4cm on patio table just now. It's sheltered from wind though so possibly around 6cm. Main. Roads are covered in Reading now. Took a drive into the Chilterns and easily 10-12cm up there. Took a picture at my favourite place to drive to when it snows! Treacherous driving conditions: roads were wet earlier so there's a layer of sheet ice under the snow. Only about 2cm lying on the road, but anything more than a gentle touch of the brakes led to skidding.

IMG_20180318_003523_HHT.jpg

Posted

Lots of snow in bstoke, off to crabtree hill for sledging with nippers tomorrow, drop them off at nannys at 12 and watch the saints in the quarter final, proper day