Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

A frustrating evening of radar watching,and from an imby perspective,its,again,been a huge disappointment,bet your life,if the bbc had rain in the area all day,it would rain all day,still,i've seen falling snow again,and for mid march,its remarkable,after yesterday's warmth and sunshine,its mad that it's been snowing,much better winter than the last few at last,but much to be improved,im now ready for some warmth,and some huge storms

Posted

Just been out along the sea front in Brighton for the last dog walk of the day.  Cold and breezy, the tiniest dusting of sugary snow on cars.  Despite the wind the sea is flat and still.  Normally here in the flat we get the wind off the sea, steaming in from roughly WSW, picking up rain and throwing it against the old sash windows. If we are lucky it's the drama of hail stones   Tonight, with the wind from the east, it's quieter but colder, so without the usual WSW gale we can properly hear the traffic on the coast road as the tide ebbs.  Rather lovely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
5 minutes ago, High&low said:

Sitting here in Oulton Broad Lowestoft we have very light snow not a drop has layed all day very disapointing but on the upside its bloody cold and very windy.

Said yesterday I loved oulton broad,beautiful harbour

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
12 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Has everyone gone

I'm back. a finger of precipitation has fed northwards from the channel, of all directions and sources, proving that a low formed today over london and has  slipped south westwards, or has re-emerged there.  The finger is bringing snow with it to parts of west sussex and surrey. There is a similar finger further east, in Kent.  Update a3 13:43: those fingers of snow are expanding and one has reached north to london

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

image.thumb.png.e09eb4b7d28676f337e9c44a9b0e7b6f.png

Just about fizzling out now, now too bad considering we are within 4 days of the spring equinox - nice icicle hanging from the street lamp and the cars an neighbour's garden have a good sprinkling - I'd say about 5cms in depth - temp -1.6, humidity 88%, snow back to light now after a coupla 3 hours of fairly moderate. 

P3170010.JPG

P3170012.JPG

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 1

Posted

Considering I  was expecting very little I have a nice covering outside with everywhere white including the paths.

I know some are disappointed but the lack of snow for some is not a surprise to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Apart from the slim chance of the eastern edge of the low coming up from the France, I don't see where I can get the apparent forecast of snow until 10am tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, you turn away from the radar for 20 minutes and it pops into life! Albeit to the west, but it just goes to show that anything could happen!!

Lee, SE12, by the way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Nice bigger flakes now so the grass getting a bit whiter which is nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Drifting badly on the exposed roads in this area, about 4-5cm here in Great Ryburgh but the snow is blowing off the fields. 

Local police advising people to keep off the roads.

Rather unexpected to be honest

• Like 1

Posted

A slight dusting here now.

I, like many, saw more snow last time. I can't really complain if that, as it looks likely is my lot,, to get any snow, let alone powdery snow, at this of time of year is incredible. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Really struggling as to why the SE amber forecast was set to where it is considering no modals that I have looked at suggested that it would occur. It seems that Hirlam precip predictions will be more accurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, big storms and extreme weather

Been cold and more importantly snow chasing and lurking since 2010, joined here proper this year 2018. This year have witnessed the most incredible weather synoptics possibly ever. Had two ‘Beasts from the East’!!!!! (That’s flipping two!) and all I have to show for it is a 4cm dusting 2 weeks ago and less than half a centre meter tonight. I know I’m in Surrey, so I never expected much anyway. However, sat under an Amber Warning ⚠️ expecting to see enough snow to take my 3yr old on his first ever sledging trip in a new sledge!  I have finally woken up to this! If these were the best conditions for snow of a generation then I’m done!!!! I’ll put my head down, work hard and maybe just maybe I can earn enough money to take him on a winter holiday. But I will no longer put myself through this torture. I’m done with snow chasing in the UK now. Time to come back to reality with where I live (geographically) and why I chase snow! Good night everybody. Maybe touch base with you all in 2030 when this mini ice age is supposed to hit us! Whatever you get tonight enjoy the snow! Big love! ❤️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

is it over? Can I go to bed now? Not feeling too cold at all on the walk back from the pub, plenty lamppost snow but no depths to speak of. Maybe tomorrow morning will bring a surprise, but I won't hold my breath, this is the best I could manage tonight:

IMG_20180317_193423.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
14 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

I'm back. a finger of precipitation has fed northwards from the channel, of all directions and sources, proving that a low formed today over london and has  slipped south westwards, or has re-emerged there.  The finger is bringing snow with it to parts of west sussex and surrey. There is a similar finger further east, in Kent.  Update a3 13:43: those fingers of snow are expanding and one has reached north to london

I think I must be lucky I’m sitting under one of those fingers. Just stuck my head out the door, snowing harder than it has all day but not laying.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Really struggling as to why the SE amber forecast was set to where it is considering no modals that I have looked at suggested that it would occur. It seems that Hirlam precip predictions will be more accurate.

Just the way it goes sometimes. Hirlam once again has been great with picking up new trends before other models.

Interestingly the GFS has slowed things down, as has some other models which may allow a longer spell of light to moderate snow over the west of the area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Better chances tomorrow night for many along the south coast

hirlamuk-1-25-0-2.thumb.png.f6ee063a16a877faa3aa21e13d036d05.pnghirlamuk-1-28-0-2.thumb.png.1f40d1c5f2411e24086dbd8a89ca51a5.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Better chances tomorrow night for many along the south coast

hirlamuk-1-25-0-2.thumb.png.f6ee063a16a877faa3aa21e13d036d05.pnghirlamuk-1-28-0-2.thumb.png.1f40d1c5f2411e24086dbd8a89ca51a5.png

You watch that will probably be wrong now. Hirlam has done so well, but watch it bust and not give us a thing!

If it comes off probably a quick 2-3cms, it moves through quite quickly unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
15 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Considering I  was expecting very little I have a nice covering outside with everywhere white including the paths.

I know some are disappointed but the lack of snow for some is not a surprise to me.

It’s a bit like the lottery ain’t it! We managed a couple of cms here so I’m happy! ❄️❄️????

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

What an absolute farce the forecasts have been today for kent! - Amber warning my ****

Goodnight

Posted

I know it'll be short lived, but it's really building to the south of London.