Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
5 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

The way this is going, the Amber warning will be a joke. Oh dear 

What do you mean? Its 8:30 and I have a good few cms already and the night is still early?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

When the kids go to bed I'm thinking of going out for a drive in my 4x4 Hilux to find the snow with both my brothers, earlier today I thought it looked like within a hour of Haywards Heath (Maybe Box hill?) we would find good amount of snow, is that not looking the case now?

Where is a high up place that will have good amount of snow tonight, nearest to Haywards Heath in West Sussex? 

Posted

Does a drift of snow on the trampoline still count as a drift?!! It's about 2cm different from one end to the other!! (Clutching at straws) 

Not on a level with beast 1 yet, but I've watched snow fall all day, everything has turned white again and that makes me very happy ? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Maybe they know nothing. :D

Probably more likely ?

Posted
1 minute ago, James Gold said:

Amazed the met are still not changing the warning - on my app they’ve just moved back the heavy snow by an hour every hour ?

They've been doing this since midday!  

• Thanks 1

The PPN is going to lift out & the Meto warning will be a semi bust being about 50 -75 Miles to far SE - cant really be to harsh with that-

Hes a radar grab - the ppn has been converging on the SE  due to combination of the upper air cold pool & the wave-

The upper air cold pool & associated instability is exiting the stage to the left & so the PPN is going with it. If your in the green its over already - If your red your safe for a while yet-..

440A6B13-EC9F-4532-8311-657AD65627B0.thumb.jpeg.aa2e91673ce0363b9e5b166ba212ad33.jpeg

This is 100% down to the 200 / 250 mile northward shift of the cold pool as the convection on the northern quadrant is epic !  ( Pic below ) - look what you would have won...

5cm here. Fat lady has turned up in her cab.

7FF578A6-5226-4C4F-944E-AC570D5D1702.thumb.png.189c70393f1a7d23f356fbfc8167a92c.png

The only hope for the kent SE is for some shallow convection to fill in the gap now ---

S

• Thanks 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Rob Deacon said:

When the kids go to bed I'm thinking of going out for a drive in my 4x4 Hilux to find the snow with both my brothers, earlier today I thought it looked like within a hour of Haywards Heath (Maybe Box hill?) we would find good amount of snow, is that not looking the case now?

Where is a high up place that will have good amount of snow tonight, nearest to Haywards Heath in West Sussex? 

Blackdown? Not sure how close to you it is but it’s high up 

Posted

North East Essex here, 3 miles from Suffolk border, been snowing heavily here since 6.15pm now 6cm of laying snow. 

Make of that what you will, radar returns are practically useless in determining what is falling. 

• Like 1

Posted

It was over before it began for most of Kent it would seem. Not quite panned out as forecast this time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, James Gold said:

Amazed the met are still not changing the warning - on my app they’ve just moved back the heavy snow by an hour every hour ?

On  the app I now have heavy snow from midnight till 4 am. Can't see that happening unless the whole lot moved SE.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The PPN is going to lift out & the Meto warning will be a semi bust being about 50 -75 Miles to far SE - cant really be to harsh with that-

Hes a radar grab - the ppn has been converging on the SE  due to combination of the upper air cold pool & the wave-

The upper air cold pool & associated instability is exiting the stage to the left & so the PPN is going with it. If your in the green its over already - If your red your safe for a while yet-..

440A6B13-EC9F-4532-8311-657AD65627B0.thumb.jpeg.aa2e91673ce0363b9e5b166ba212ad33.jpeg

This is 100% down to the 200 / 250 mile northward shift of the cold pool as the convection on the northern quadrant is epic !  ( Pic below ) - look what you would have won...

7FF578A6-5226-4C4F-944E-AC570D5D1702.thumb.png.189c70393f1a7d23f356fbfc8167a92c.png

The only hope for the kent SE is for some shallow convection to fill in the gap now ---

S

Such a shame for us in Kent

Edited by cjwardy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way
9 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Amber warning was a panic reaction to what happened a couple weeks back, nothing but a light dusting here.

Positive thinking! It’s snowing heavily now in Gills..? 

Posted

Light-moderate snow here in Reading for past two hours. Grass and cars well covered, but pavements patchy and roads wet. I'm guessing the tarmac absorbed some heat yesterday and surface is taking longer to cool down. 

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

On  the app I now have heavy snow from midnight till 4 am. Can't see that happening unless the whole lot moved SE.

They just won’t give up - I’ll be quiet if we wake up to 5cm though ?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

S

Think I’m in between the 2 , think maybe a good idea to put your phone on charge Steve ??

Posted

What do we expect its march 18th!!!!!! I am still amazed to see the large icicles on sheds and windows 

Posted

Has been no snow for last hour, seen to be in the void coming from south coast. Loads of activity to the north but wind not bringing it this watch at the moment.