Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Yh very strange Radar movements this evening, some of it is moving WSW other parts moving WNW.

Someone will get lucky my money is on North to Central Essex through Herts

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Not exactly the Day after Tomorrow.

IMG_1077.JPG

give it another 6 hours and it might be...

Posted
4 minutes ago, snow freak said:

i thought the same here.  i dont understand why the pavements are finding it hard to keep the snow cover when everything else is covered, only thing i can think is it retains the heat from the past few days more than everything else.

That's tarmac heat retention for you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I just took the temp of the road outside my house with a laser thermometer and it's 1.2c, with air temp on my garden weather station of -0.7c

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, tinybill said:

just looked outside  there a raging blizzard  blowing , plus just looked  on another site their 6 houses about to go into the sea at hemsby in norfolk  due to  high winds and huge waves

Really !! I have a friend in hemsby , I will see if I can get anymore info as he works at one of the parks there ??

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh very strange Radar movements this evening, some of it is moving WSW other parts moving WNW.

Someone will get lucky my money is on North to Central Essex through Herts

Can’t work it out. What I can though is that amber warning is starting to look total ball bags for a lot of us unless something changes in the next few hours...

• Thanks 1

Posted

Heavier stuff looks to be moving into central

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
1 minute ago, leemondo said:

winter-loading_o_4229565.jpg

That's unlucky! - We were in Crowborough earlier this evening, dropping my daughter off at the Army Cadet base, and there was a decent-ish covering, more than we've had here in Tunbridge Wells. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
2 minutes ago, leemondo said:

winter-loading_o_4229565.jpg

I am with you on this :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Angel Wings said:

Really !! I have a friend in hemsby , I will see if I can get anymore info as he works at one of the parks there ??

These are homes which were damaged by cliff erosion in a storm i think in 2013, residents being evacuated tonight and the gardens are just falling away from the cliff.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

I was thinking that would have an impact, Nick. However, it’s been around zero for 12 hours, so with the low DPs, thought it would settle 

I imagine the warmth in the ground is continually draining upwards until it’s all lost, so until all the warmth is out the ground, the pavements in direct contact with ground will still have enough warmth to melt snowflakes unless the snow gets so heavy as to form a layer of slush in direct contact with ground then layer of insulating snow on top.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Amber warning was a panic reaction to what happened a couple weeks back, nothing but a light dusting here.

Posted

i think the amber warning is correct you see south of london is going to be under constant moderate ppn soon but the amber warning should be extended by at least 20 miles north and north west

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!
2 minutes ago, kate1 said:

That's unlucky! - We were in Crowborough earlier this evening, dropping my daughter off at the Army Cadet base, and there was a decent-ish covering, more than we've had here in Tunbridge Wells. 

Yeah we did ok this morning, was lovely to watch, just a shame it looks like we lucked out tonight, but on the bright side I get to go to Fuggles for a couple of beers tomoz in T Wells :)

Posted
3 minutes ago, Southender said:

Can’t work it out. What I can though is that amber warning is starting to look total ball bags for a lot of us unless something changes in the next few hours...

Just saw ITv weather and nothing mentioned about snow in the SE. Do they know something 

Posted

Actually there is a mass of greens and yellows moving into the Mouth of the Estuary and it does seems to be moving WWSW atm.

Could be the saviour for most if it keeps it course, does not help there is a radar hole in the Thames Estuary as well

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I imagine the warmth in the ground is continually draining upwards until it’s all lost, so until all the warmth is out the ground, the pavements in direct contact with ground will still have enough warmth to melt snowflakes unless the snow gets so heavy as to form a layer of slush in direct contact with ground then layer of insulating snow on top.

I guess that could explain it. However, all surfaces always out of the sun are still wet even with snow falling 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Interestingly there is a new residential development opposite me and where they have put all the new paving there is a covering of snow even in between the two new buildings, and these are big 20-30 story buildings. I wonder if the type of paving used is having an impact in blocking the heat from escaping the ground allowing snow to settle.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Decent covering here a good few cms, although have the feeling it will be over soon as the heavy snow is moving away east and not anything heavy coming from the north sea.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Angel Wings said:

its  on the  suffolk  and norfolk  travel page

https://www.facebook.com/Suffolknorfolktravel/?fref=mentions

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, c00ps said:

Just saw ITv weather and nothing mentioned about snow in the SE. Do they know something 

Maybe they know nothing. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

So watching the football is now looking worse than watching the lack of snow potential:wallbash: