Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 03/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Bit of PPN starting to form in the channel?1521294741742.thumb.jpg.087eea54c54270419165839ff5fbf004.jpg

Posted

Afternoon all :)

Strange day and a huge contrast to yesterday when we were at 12-13c. The colder air mass swept in overnight and we are currently holding just above freezing with overcast and a brisk NE'ly wind.

The overnight front must have brought snow as that is still on some rooftops and car but only limited settling on grass and no more than a dusting anywhere. However, it's clear other areas further out have seen a lot more and it's odd to see a number of snow-free cars and then one with a decent covering so clearly some localised heavier accumulations.

Very light snow around periodically but the story so far has been the cold. Normally, thanks to our maritime climate we don't get these sudden swings in temperature and it's more akin to a summer heat wave being broken by an overnight storm which can drop temperatures 10 or more degrees. In effect, that's what has happened in winter so not the dramatic heat exchange of a storm but a conversion from a warm air mass to a much colder one.

Today's fall means four episodes of settling snow and seven of falling snow since December 1st 2017 - impressive for lowland East London. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, paget said:

Nothing much going on here at the moment, we had heavy snow this morning but nothing settled! (Farnham, Surrey) 

Temp 0

dp -2.4 

am hoping for a good conclusion as I’m right on the sweet spot of the amber length! ☺️

I expect to see the Amber area extend to cover more of the region later. If the frontal wave develops as expected, many will see a spell of continuous moderate to heavy snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

This blob is preventing any streamers from forming from what I can tell, we might still have a fairly long wait in parts of the sausage warning area, where all we are seeing is flurries right now. I notice that some of the heavy snow symbols for this afternoon have been removed from the Met Office side map, but it seems that there will be more snow around tonight than previously showing. The 6pm chart is still showing lots of heavy snow symbols for our region, if this does not verify then I will get slightly worried.

All looks to be going horribly wrong... as usual! These events always turn out to be massive let downs in this part of the world... guess there’s always next year

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

This 'blob' ...the front that produced this morning' snow is now clearing the South coast.

If the 'blob isn't frontal,then what is causing it?

Not convective either of course,seems to be impeding any decent snow shower develoment for now.

• Like 1

Posted

Well I'm back from work in one piece. Glad I didn't pack the thermals away. Light snow most of the morning with a heavy blizzard like burst from about 8.30-9am. Ended up looking like a snowman. I've only seen one gritter about all day and that was one of my customers son who decided he would grit his road....lol

• Like 1

Things just starting to light up on the radar - East kent & also some lighter PPN through NW 

Front looks like its pivoting creating a wave  Moving WNW -

Temps beginning to drop away now -0.8c @home- 

Hoping for at least a few CM tonight & then more tomorrow...

Posted

More polystyrene balls coming down In Folkestone. Urgh. 

Looking on the radar on Home and Dry, another three hours of this stuff if it pivots as SM thinks it will do. 

Edited by Snowy Bob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well after volunteering at Orpington Park Run this morning i have just about thawed out.Worst conditions i have voluntered in 3 years and fair play to the 121 nutters who ran(my missus included lol).The snow was falling steadily and we had about 2-3cms before it stopped about 10.45.It only settled on rooftops,cars and grass but really stuck to the trees and looks amazing.Temp been dropping slowly since this morning and as at 1.55pm it is 0.5 in Locksbottom and would guess continue to fall now.As others have said everything has dried up so if the next batch of snow arrives it will settle fairly readily.Am just a little concerned that the snow snow may be a little further West and South of me if Thames Streamers don't occur and then Surrey and Hampshire could do really well overnight.

Anyway the weather will do what it wants to do and Good Luck to all on SE thread if you want snow:good:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
10 minutes ago, snowray said:

This blob is preventing any streamers from forming from what I can tell, we might still have a fairly long wait in parts of the sausage warning area, where all we are seeing is flurries right now. I notice that some of the heavy snow symbols for this afternoon have been removed from the Met Office side map, but it seems that there will be more snow around tonight than previously showing. The 6pm chart is still showing lots of heavy snow symbols for our region, if this does not verify then I will get slightly worried.

I am disappointed to see that the heavy snow symbols have been removed from the Met Office app, I've been looking at them regularly just for the joy of it

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

At 1.30pm today ...OC right by the sea in Shoreham, -1C a few miles inland. Crazy temps. Snow settled on the hills and trees. Incidenally, is a trough or low forming on or off east anglia?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 minute ago, username home said:

All looks to be going horribly wrong... as usual! These events always turn out to be massive let downs in this part of the world... guess there’s always next year

Well something seems not quite right to me, but its too early to be writing anything off, Met Office did say after 4pm after all. May just be the case that we get a period of heavy snow but it will be delayed somewhat. 

Posted
Just now, lottiekent said:

Interesting...

IMG_0942.PNG

This is what I was referring to. Moisture injection into the atmosphere as we move through the afternoon, pepping up the precipitation. Watch that area to the east of Kent expand.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well after thinking the front was going to clear hours ago before I went out, was moving south quicker than forecast at the time, it is still over me but producing icey type snow, almost sleet really. Although still have snow on cars and grass, ice in places and iceikles? There's even huge iceikles one the front of running buses, so the cold is here. I think it looks like the snow is trying to turn less icy again now though, just not quite there yet. Think it will land well if it does turn.

Posted

Why are people writing this off. I call this morning a massive bonus. The level of snow here in welling was unexpected yes only settled on roofs and cars. Just checked my mo app and its solid snow till 2am here starting about 5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

This is what I was referring to. Moisture injection into the atmosphere as we move through the afternoon, pepping up the precipitation. Watch that area to the east of Kent expand.

It's going to be painful to watch it expand slide to the north of Dover ?

Posted

It’s minus 1 out there at 2pm in mid March! This is pretty spectacular already. If we wake up to a lot of snow it’ll be memorable for sure 

• Like 1

Posted

We had two hours of moderate to sometimes heavy snow this morning, but

the ground temperatures, allied with the time of years, has ruined things here so far, if this was happening a month ago every flake would stick. Still hopefully the ground will cool sufficetly during the day to allow the snow to accumulate later on when the streamers get going

Edited by Bricriu

Posted

Snow pepping up in Dover. Falling moderately now with larger flakes mixed in. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

It's going to be painful to watch it expand slide to the north of Dover ?

There will be an overall expansion though with the push north of the wave, so I wouldn’t worry too much about how it looks right now. As many have said, things will start to get interesting later this afternoon.